“ANKLE SNAPPER 2000” - Redemberboards Shuggah #001 - 100mm MBS wheels/6 inch pneumatic HYBRID - 10s - 192kv Sk3

Sounds good - what VESC do you have?

Torqueboards ones.

Ok so I know it’s been a ridiculously long amount of time since I updated this thread, but I was in Germany for the summer and now that school has started it’s always about time management. Anyways, the deck I ordered from @treenutter arrived and it looks amazing, I made a separate topic about it if you click here: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/best-deck-ever/31223

My BMS and charger arrived, and things are showing up ever so slowly. A Sunkko spot welder is also on the way, so maybe I can finally get this battery thing dealt with. No longer worried about making it flexible with the new deck.

I also took the liberty of designing a 3d-printable trailer-hitch that utilizes the riser area of the deck, so that I can tow my trailer (work in progress) on weekend camping trips with the board.

I will post the stl file for public use if the initial trials are successful.

Finally, despite @treenutter’s statement that my Shuggah deck was not compatible with pneumatics, I may have broken the rules. A combination of my terrible ability to follow directions and determination to have a hybrid board that can be switched in minutes have made this dream finally come true…

7 Likes

Just to add - while I was in Germany, I designed a website to showcase what I’ve been up to. It also includes a lot of cool projects that I worked on before and in preparation for the trip. If anyone is interested… http://anorakww.weebly.com http://anorakww.weebly.com/travel-board.html

what pneumatic wheels are those?

Skikes. You normally have to lathe them and buy tubes and adapters and everything. When @slowmez put them up for sale with a 9mm driver I jumped at the opportunity

@anorak234 I love it when I’m wrong! So glad you took the time to experiment with this! Did you need to use big risers to get enough clearance? I hadn’t even considered skikes when I tested this deck with pneumies, so glad they fit. How’re you gonna grip it? What enclosure will you use? Awesome build!

1 Like

I’m using angles half inch to 1/16 inch risers, that helps a little. I was going to do a custom grip but my local skate shop has this one guy that does clear grip like you’ve never seen before - almost everyone here has given up on gripping there own boards :joy:. For the enclosure, I’ll probably go the @psychotiller route as he’s the only one still taking custom orders in any shape and I’ve had good experiences with his enclosures in the past. Under NO circumstances will I be drilling this board through… I’ll go with @Jinra’s steel rivet idea

2 Likes

Look at threaded inserts, they work well and look great as they don’t go all the way through the deck. I’ve actually started using wide thread sheet metal screws, usually 1/2 inch as they snug up well, make a very small hole, are zinc oxide coated so blend into the enclosure well, and a drop of wood glue makes them virtually unmovable until you actually put a screw driver on them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZPF0I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

I’m hoping you could give some insight here. I’m looking at the shuggah deck and also the bludgeon deck. It’s a toss up. Do you think there is enough room for a set of 50x150 six shooters using the shuggah deck?

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the shuggah deck, my brother has the bludgeon deck. Looking at them side by side, I’d say the bludgeon is what you want for larger pneumatics. @treenutter also would know, he tests the tolerances on his boards

3 Likes

Made some progress tonight - eBay batteries for testing. I’m still deciding if it’s best to use them in my final build or not…

I have 3 of them, which should provide a solid 60 amps in parallel but I don’t know if that’s enough. Is it necessary to buy more? For those guys that use pneumatics, do you know how many amps you pull on easy terrain like grass and flat dirt? I’m not doing any serious off-road stuff with this board, so I’m only worried about normal tolerances and getting up my driveway for now.

Also on the note of pneumatics, I am looking for tubes for my 5”. They are from skike and look like this:

I’m willing to pay anyone a little extra if they could purchase some in Europe and ship it to me in order to avoid the hefty handling fee.

Final two notes - I have the torque boards 120amp ESC which runs exceptionally hot. Should I make a separate enclosure for it, or is there a way I could deal with the heat? Maybe I can split the 12 to 5V converter in parallel and use that for a fan?

Finally, just wanted to show off my extender around the truck. I’m kind of proud of the soldering job:

Thanks for any help or feedback you guys can provide!

2 Likes

Finished! I ended up using a plywood cutout to temporarily solve clearance issues:

I’m also having a heat issue with this ESC. Probably going to end up using a fan and splitting the 12V drop circuit in parallel to do so. Any reason this wouldn’t work?

I also just noticed that I drilled the board even though I specifically said that I wouldn’t XD

8 Likes

Range test tomorrow! I’m charging up fully tonight, I’ll have a tracker app on and I’ll be going pretty slow on flat ground to maximize the distance. We’ll see how it goes!

2 Likes

Looking forward to see what you will get out of this beauty!

Also @anorak234 do you have a build thread for your 99wh build?

@AgileCow of course!

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/mobious-semi-1-custom-deck-semi-enclosure-airplane-legal-travel-build/6861

Been riding for a while now. Got stopped by a cop who thought it was pretty cool, and a couple who thought I should sell them for a living… anyways right now I’m stopped for lunch at the Stoneridge mall (California Pizza Kitchen), letting the board cool down so that I can get some more speed later. Ended up hitting many more hills than expected, and my ESC still has the overheating problem. It doesn’t turn off - just decides to go 10 mph indefinitely. I guess that’s good for range…

Here are the results so far, I’ll post the finished ride later. Idk if I’m even going to be able to finish, still got more than 40 volts on this thing:

1 Like

Well… fuck. Ended up cutting the ride short, but not because it took too long - this happened:

Anyways here’s the data collected, I paused it when the board had its accident. Slowly walked my way home :confounded: 8 miles distance, 7mph average (hills and stops by random people)

How did you break a riser?

Honestly, I don’t know. I’ve never seen it anywhere. I was breaking on a hill and suddenly my board went diagonal, like the board was angled and I barely kept my balance. The wheels weren’t straight, one of the bolts fell out, and I had to stop and carry my board up the hill to fetch it. When I picked up my board I saw what happened