About to pull trigger, is the Raptor worth it?

You are correct. Just dont ride myself in rain or running it into puddlez. Good to know though.

My review

1 Like

Hi Chris, thanks for your honest feedback,

let me clear a few things up.

1. the handle is included but we stopped installing it as some people didn’t want it installed, but you should have received one in the box. ill send you one.

2. the missing screws, this is not the first instance of this… I asked my guys how many they are putting in each board, they answered correctly, but maybe you got shortchanged… will send you more. The newer batches of CF decks only have 8 screws.

3. instructions for the remote are online in various places, but we definitely need to do better documentation with our products, we are working on that. We haven’t spent much money or time working on our packaging & booklets.

4. You are a Raptor VIP customer and have a solid warranty to back up this product. I will replace any faulty part related to manufacturing faults for FREE in the first 12 months. (that’s twice as long as boosted boards warranty)… However, it does require you to send it somewhere unless you want to do the repair yourself with parts we send you… ALSO NOTE: If you purchase a boosted board you would need to send it in for repairs too… If you don’t want to send to East side of US, I Now have a West Coast agent who can help resolve these few issues.

5. If you feel like your emails are not getting responded to adequately I apologise, I have three new staff (before them it was just me) and they are all trying hard to answer with meaningful content in a timely manner… ASLO, Feel free to discuss your concerns in the forum, this is a place i frequently visit & i actually like all information to be discussed openly in the public forums, I believe this is the best way to offer service as it also helps other raptor owners if they can read & learn from the experiences of others.

6. I am sorry you feel like you got mislead &/or purchased something that is not as “good” as the mainstream brands… YES, I work out of my garage and build RAPTORS one-by-one-by-hand… This is fairly common knowledge & not a fact I actively try to hide from my customers. I suppose if you only look at my website and none of my other online resources this fact might not be obvious… I suggest watching my youtube channel & reading the raptor build thread to see who I am and what i do.

If you are truly disappointed in the raptor and don’t want the hassle of getting repairs done we can discuss the option of trading-in the Raptor to someone else who is waiting. You get your money back & someone can get your second-hand raptor for a discounted price.

I am open to suggestions, Let me know what you want to do.

regards JASON POTTER CEO & Founder Enertionboards.com

1 Like

Thanks for posting, too bad about your unfortunate experience so far. I hope you get your board back soon and some more miles on it. Would you please keep us informed about what the problem with your board turns out to be? Do you suspect bad VESC’s caused by the short?

Besides your board malfunction, It seems from your vid there are a few items that you would like to see improved. -Softer, more durable wheels? Better mounting of the electronics?, instructions? A guard over the battery switch or a system to prevent accidental turnoff?

I have read here a few raptor owners have swapped their wheels out for a softer compound. There should also be detailed info on the remote and reciever here somewhere.

Best of luck getting it back out rolling under electric power, BTW, how was it pushing? Much more resistance than a regular long board?

@sandBound Sorry to hear about your initial experience abour the Raptor. It does pay do some research on these items outside of the website. When I was looking the thing that caught my eye was that it was an Aus company and if I had any issues I could return it easily as I was looking at the Boosted. All in hindside for you though.

Enertion have taken the VESC issue and acted quickly to notify others. However I thought they advised it didnt affect Raptors which ouconcerns me about my board. Mine did have issues initially as well which was fixed. So know how your feeling at the moment,

Enertion will fix the board as its all under warranty.

Decide on whether you want to take up the return offer.

I will say that when the Raptor works theres nothing reallly like it. Im sure you felt that for the first 20miles at least, just try and keep that in mind.

All the things can be fixed and Enertion have noted as much.

The corner guards can be removed for better aesthetics, but less protection. Batch 1 never had those.

Not happy with the wheel issues either. Must be due to the last batch. Mine are handling surfaces well. Most are looking at Abec 11 83mm 75as as alternatives for softer ride.

Remote. To bind to board. Turn on board. Press and hold A till red light on left turns soild. Now connected.

Push throttle up to accelerate and pull back to brake. Press down for cruise, but this is not like s car cruise as the speed just adjust to riding condititions,not locked speed. Pull down to brake.

Theres also a channel change function, but you can search for that in threads if you need that.

1 Like

@sandbound you could post your review in the rapture review thread. Be warned, it can get a bit heated. But there is an amazing guy in there who carefully explains that most of this is to be expected and you should be thrilled. I think he knows a lot about DIY and eskates in general. Special shoutout to @Kedwards.

@sandbound

Thanks for sharing. A few things.

1. the wheels are 80a durometer however you can swap them out for softer flywheels. Keep in mind though that soft wheels loose chunks even easier, I see how already lost a chunk in one of your wheels.

2. I was missing two screws as well. Asides from just looking like it is missing two screws, it doesn’t really effect much else. I didn’t bother to ask for more screws. I could have went to Home Depot and just bought two of the same sizes screws as well. But I didn’t think it was needed.

3. the shutting down issue is unfortunate. I haven’t had yet. All I can say and I’m sure you will agree is when this board works it’s amazing. Electrical problems can arise with any electric skateboard. I hope you get your problem fixed soon by their repair agent and make a video again about how the raptor is doing.

4. I had a handle with mine, i like it. Some people won’t like it.

@furryfrog all belt drive systems I’ve had have resistance from their drive train. So it won’t be like a normal longboard to kick push. However the raptor has the least resistance out of the 3 belt drive system boards I’ve had. I have a video on my enertion raptor review thread showing it how works as a normal longboard. I wouldn’t use any electric skateboard as a normal longboard though, but if I had to do it I would rather do it with the raptor than other belt drive boards.

Since I emailed direct and got no response in 4 days I’ll post my reply here.

Jason I wanted to address your points one by one. First I want to say that when I was initially looking at electric skateboards boosted was never an option. It doesn’t compare to yours.

1. I have an email from your people that states the handle was included at one point but no longer. It was not in my box and is why I emailed about it. (Screen shot below)

2. The missing screws did not matter to me at all. I brought it to your people’s attention so people that it would matter too would have them.

3. I didn’t expect to have to hunt around for directions for the remote and would have assumed at least a simple printout would have been included. That would have been fine.

4. Your warranty is great and I have no complaints about that. I didn’t expect mine to have problems the first weekend though.

5. I have only been to your forums a couple of time mostly just trying to research skateboards. I didn’t feel 5 days is fast enough when I’m sitting around with a new broken board.

6. I don’t have a problem with you building these in your garage or an overpriced warehouse, it is still going to be people at a workbench doing it by hand. I have watched some of your videos but that’s all besides your website.

Final.

I would prefer a refund.  If I bought a board from Walmart for 100.00 and it broke after 20 miles I would not be surprised.  A 1500.00 hi performance board I waited 3 months for not expected.

I appreciate your time. Chris calderone Order #2917

Hope Onloop gets back to you and it gets resolved. Still email support with your issue, so they can sort it out.

So you’re really going for the refund? What board will you get? I’m just curious to know. I realize you will have to wait for raptor repairs, but really any board you order for now you will have to wait anyway.

What are the issue with your board exactly ???

Main issue seems like the same problem some are getting with Enertion’s VESCs. The pins puncturing the cables. And also seems like the wheels are too hard and start chunking i guess.

There may be a used Raptor up for grabs soon. :relaxed:

I was wondering, because he seem to have felt on the ground with is remote, and nothing work since… Weird

What does the bottom button on the remote do? If it does indeed cause the brake to come on fully then that would be a bad thing - curious about that part. And wow, those wheels look pretty bad for 20 miles. I have done hundreds on mine and sure, a few small cuts - but no chunks have come off yet. I do feel for the guy, we may mostly be DIY board builders and take a lot in our stride and be prepared to fix a lot of the issues without a hassle. If someone who wanted to buy a complete E-board and looked on the internet, found Jason’s site, bought the board and then had the problems mentioned I can well expect them to be pretty unhappy. I definitely do not always look on DIY forums to see if what I am buying is properly documented or how to fix it if it immediately breaks. Personally I think he was very fair and understanding. A lot of people who buy something for that sort of money and find it breaks within an hour would not be so understanding. So kudos to him for that.

Great looking board and I can imagine it must be the dogs bollocks when it is working well. I hope sandbound gets it fixed and can enjoy the board but can also understand if he decides on the refund.

2 Likes

good points, I think Jason should have a disclaimer that the raptor is not really just a buy it and forget it board. It’s for people who are willing to do things like adjust belt tensions and motor alignments and some very basic work. I’m sure many people who are not into fixing things at all will find his board and just order it, these are the same people who ship their boosted board back to them for things like swapping a belt. That’s not who the raptor is for.

1 Like

Cheers for the review @sandbound Let us know how you go with it. As per the thread, I was weighing up raptor v gt for ages. Ended up going GT. Loving it! Fair few hundred km’s so far. All Terrain and Street. Still monitoring Raptor reviews. But after the bamboo gt announcement I think that will be my second board.

I beg to argue on the maintenance issue. He sells the board as a complete and thus it should go out in the best quality that he can produce. Sure there can be faults which in actual fact are probably a small number, but we arent really talking about lots of raptors out there anyway which makes it more of an issue. Tweeking things is only a given. I check my bike all the time its no different there. If I cant fix it then its the sellers responsibility especially if its a fault.

In hindsight he probably should have held release back with more user testing base. All the early tests prior to release was mostly based on his riding fron past posts.

Its lucky he has mostly understanding customers and also for him he is trying to make good his claim of trying to make the best board. And backing warranty. No issues there. Hes a big part of the movement he is building. This forum wouldnt exist.

For $2200 odd dollars incl tax AUS if not more for others it is disappointing to have such issues, and sandbound isnt the first. The thing he has created is amazing when it works. Its the issues that just dont help the cause, especially when it fails after 20 miles for 1 example.

I havent checked my Raptor 1.0 B1 yet, but if you have one I would check that vesc pin, vesc battery limit settings, and motor coils. These issues worry me the most. IMO.

1 Like

When I fell off after hitting the emergency brake button that really pissed me off especially going down hit with the throttle off coasting (that’s only when that brake seems to work) The board worked after that. I have no doubt that one of the vescs is the issue (probably) since it stopped working 100% until I put the plastic between the board and the wires. Now it stutters or jitters? A refund was offered as well as repairs and that is very fair. I asked for a refund because I don’t have confidence in it anymore. I think it was rushed to get orders out but I didn’t really comes to this forum before hand before I bought it. Adjusting belts/motors is something I have no problem in doing just like brakes on a car they will need maintenance at some point. The car broken after 20 miles I don’t expect. Not what I’ll get. Boosted is not an option. I don’t think it’s the best at anything but marketing.

1 Like

I agree. The raptor complete is being sold to a market segment that is expecting a complete board. The price point reflects that. The word complete reflects that. There is confusion that ‘adjustable’ equals ‘prepare for faults’. All boards need maintenance, but belt adjustments and bearing replacements are not the issue here. All boards are exposed to manufacturing faults- the question in buyers minds is what’s the realistic the reliability? Sure, only VESC boards are adjustable in terms of settings (without hacking) because they are open source, and thus can be tweaked. But the expectation is ‘working’ regardless and adjustability shouldn’t be confused with reliability. Even using the term DIY on a complete is confused and seems to be an easy out if things don’t work as they should. Early adopters in batch one would expect some teething issues and perhaps take it in their stride. The people committing now are probably going to be a little less forgiving, because no matter how you spin it, they are paying for a working board. I’m not saying the raptor isn’t reliable- only the manufacturer knows the reported failure rate, and happy riders are too busy riding to post, but I don’t think we should use DIY as a term to explain failures or to explain away people’s dissatisfaction (the guys review was very balanced even though he was frustrated).

1 Like