6x2 Airless All-terrain tires $1(?)

Let’s go bois. I have a spare 28" deck begging to be turned into a super shorty MTB.

Posted this in the discord, some more people may be interested.

1 Like

I’m down for a set or two

Nominating @thisguyhere

I’d pitch in to help with the group buy, but my hands are currently full with handling the Banshee’s product launch.

Curious side note, a factory does not simply ‘put together a mold’. Molds cost money, so that means they want retooling cash upfront, or they do in fact have access to the mold in some shape or form.

Yeah, seems odd. But maybe that’s covered by the 500 minimum order?

also, @LukePL I vote sticking with 6x2 so it fits those 3d printed hubs. They’re the cheapest/most accessible way to get an AT setup that I know of

Potentially. Have you asked them about the exact formula they would use? Can we designate our own specific tire formula?

Honestly 1500 USD barely covers the molds.

That’s a great idea. Better yet, I might be able to design and print a set of hubs to match my existing bearings. I’m confused though as to what material would be best suited for it, and whether I can print it on my prusa i3.

I’d read through that thread I linked in my first post, apparently @Maxid has had great success in ABS, and I think I saw him recommend PLA as well- basically, they’re strong enough in whatever, so long as you have a print bed large enough to make them

1 Like

so hubs for these wheels are still in question, right?

let’s say hubs are found, great. what about pulleys? i mean, it’d have to be a matching pair right, hubs and pulleys, so they can be bolted together?

Chain and sprocket

No problem because we are talking about OD. ID could be whatever to fit both 3D printed hubs and sixshooters.

if you guys decide to do a 500 ct group buy, all the parts should be sourced first.

expecting each person to source their own hubs and pulleys or sprockets and all associated parts is going to be giant pain, and will ultimately attract less demand.

if it’s a complete plug and play system, i bet you could clear 500, or 125 sets pretty quickly.

1 Like

Yep. At that price, I’ll grab 3-4 sets for myself. Though I now need to find some hubs…

What are some good hubs to get?

i really can’t answer that, haven’t done AT wheels yet.

it appears @mmaner is the only one with any experience with these tires, and he mated them to psychotiller pnumi hubs that he happened to have lying around (correct me if i’m wrong).

we can’t get just the hubs from psychotiller because they come as a set with tires.

maybe ask the tire mfg and see if they can source hubs as well. then see if those hubs can be mated to any pulleys or sprokets. then if that comes together, be sure to source motor pulley / sproket as well. then the belt / chain.

I’m running a set of blue 6in airless wheels on the @psychotiller 6 Shooters (v1 / Wobblies) and my kid is running a set of purple 6in airless wheels @psychotiller 6 Shooters (v2 / Retail). Neither of us has any issue at all. Mine feel a little looser against the hub than my kids, but they don’t roll sideways or skew, so all is good.

How do these airless tires compare to pneumatic tires?

when you dig a nail out of them you can keep riding afterwards.

4 Likes

Well I know that much :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I’m curious about the actual ride quality.

The airless wheels are great. Not as comfortable as nummies but pretty close and grippy like glue. I think they wouldn’t be as good without the offset 6 shooters

1 Like

So bottom line this group buy is going down right? Just gotta make sure everybody and their mothers know about this.

its actually a serious issue though… the amount of times I have copped a nail or glass or other random object in my wheels… i’ll never run pneumatics on that basis alone