150W soldering gun and still can't solder 10AWG .___

That’s weird. I don’t even use flux either but I’m happy, I got the soldering iron for $20 from Bunnings🙂

1 Like

im baffled

So I was able to successfully solder the wire and connector together!

But I tried to solder a parallel connection between two 10 AWG wires and completely failed. Just couldn’t get it hot enough to melt and wet. Here’s my pathetic result.

I’ll try again with later with LongHairDude’s tips.

I also ordered a $5 butane torch nozzle on banggood, that’ll be my nuclear option if all else fails.

Step 6. EVERY DAMN TIME!

1 Like

Yep, damn that step 6!!! or i put 2 pieces on the same wire, forgetting one wire. Grrrrr

1 Like

Dang these videos are good, I never came across them on youtube.:open_mouth:

When i forget heat shrink, i use many layers of electrical tape instead. Saves me some headache!

Also, intertwining the wired helps significantly with joint strength. I also don’t use such thick wire, 14 awg is enough for me unless you are running some crazy 100amp currents. For example the motor wires are probably half the thickness

Do you hold the wire fixed in place enough? The iron you are using looks just huge… I would suspect you are not holding it onto the wire/wires long enough to actually heat them up to soak up the solder…

Otherwise not sure what your problem is… In theory, if you soak the wires in flux, then apply some solder to them (pretinning), then join them together while heating both wires/surfaces, everything should work…

To be honest, I solder 12awg wires with 60W iron and it works… not sure how much extra is needed for 10awg wires.

I solder 10awg with a 60w iron, no problems.

2 Likes

Lool I literally have a 40W Weller Iron with no temperature gauge and I get perfect bullet solder joints every time, and I am even using lead-free solder, along with the default chisel tip

2 Likes

i’m going to try and make a video tonight of the technique i described earlier. ITs something Jake discovered and we just sort of started doing without thinking because its just such a duh moment when you see it. It makes butt joints sooo easy and super strong and also very attractive and professional looking when you do the heat shrink.

2 Likes

It’s not the car… it’s the driver bruh

Please do :slight_smile: will be much appreciated!

I REALLY wanna see how people are pulling it off with these tiny irons, feel like I’m getting trolled lol. If the joints you guys are getting are legit, then damn I must of been using really bad technique.

i swear using blowtorch lighter i can solder anything. irons are prehistoric.

2 Likes

I’m trying to get a buddy to come by and record me soldering, that’ll be the best way to see exactly what I must be doing wrong. The wire are fixed by alligator clips on a stand, and I hold for what feels like a long time, but they just don’t seem to get quite hot enough to facilitate the wetting action of molten solder into the joint.

yes id like to see 2 x 10 awg joined properly with a 40 watt or 60watt iron. No 12 awg or 10awg to connectors, thats easy. By all means twist a strand of cooper around them first to keep them tight.

1 Like

I’ve only got about an inch left of 10awg wire so I’ll just solder it to a 4mm bullet. I’ll try make a video soon

thats cheating! i can already do that, dont know about mberng, it is his post after all lol.