150W soldering gun and still can't solder 10AWG .___

I can do 12awg to 12awg with 80w if you wanna see that? no 10awg on hand

Alright I go have a look around in the garage for some more left over 10awg and I’ll solder them together. Anyone know how to upload a video I just tried before and it said unsupported file format

upload to youtube and link here

Video of some 10awg to 10awg should be uploaded in about 10

Sorry about some of it at the start where you can’t see what I was doing. Also any noises that was my brother playing Xbox.

I know this isn’t the best connection but with a $20 60w iron i reckon it’s pretty damn good

Wet the tip with a lot of solder and then start to solder the wire use the flat part of the chisle not the tip

1 Like

nice one, based on that video, the only thing i did differently is expose more wire, that might be where the heat is going. I strip about this much and same technique, but it only works with a torch lol

Idk. All I can say is let the iron heat up for about 2mins first then use lots of solder. Oh and never get it on your mums bench top she’ll kill you😂 I know from experience

2 Likes

oh and the cables i was soldering were 10awg 80cm long motor wires! lol that might be why, ive never soldered shorter 10awg yet. I think ive solved my issue, huge length wires.

mberng how long are yours.

My main tip is to pre heat the wire before bringing it to the bullet.

like keep the iron on it for bit so its hot before trying to solder it to the bullet, otherwise it will just suck all the heat out. The insulation will be hot so you need to hold the wire with helping hands or vise grips.

Both sides must be tined before, and add a bit more solder to the iron tip when joining the two sides together.

The other thing that helps a lot is helping hands, or some way to keep the two parts from moving while it cools down. If they move at all while cooling down you will have a bad joint.

1 Like

made this last night. I probably could have done it quicker and smoother if i hadn’t been in a hurry.

1 Like

I got a bunnings iron. I do struggle soldering sometimes though because I dont use flux.

Yeah it’s probably the same iron. Just make sure to use the thickest part of the tip and pre tin it with solder