105mm airless tire hub motor

Nope, it seemed to be fine when I threw the front wheels on the Caliber II front hanger. Decided to use their front hanger anyway, just so it would match the rear hanger.

Crap, forgot about the 2 different hangers. Solution? AWD!

Well, quick status update on those Skullboard airless AT hubs & wheels. Got them all hooked up to the Ownboard ESC yesterday, and took them for a super quick ride today. It appears that Laigaloon from Reddit is mostly correct - they’ll probably need the ESC from Skullboard or a VESC. Without any weight on the board, the hubs seem to spin up just fine, and man do they sound beastly going full bore. When I’m on the board, if I rock the accelerator wheel of the remote quickly, like I would with the Ownboard hubs installed, the motors just make a weird quick on-off whining sound and do a slight twitch. If I slowly and super gently roll into the throttle the board will start moving and then I can start to apply more throttle and it seems fine. Came to a complete stop and tried the same thing again, and it exhibited the same issues. Completely letting off the throttle while in motion and then rolling back on it is not a problem at all. The Skullboard ESC appears to be physically the same as the Ownboard ESC, but maybe they’ve changed some programming on it or something. Just ordered the Skullboard ESC, so we’ll see how that goes once it gets here. May end up just upgrading it to a VESC at some point, but we’ll see.

Edit: To clarify, it only has issues if I give it too much throttle from a stop, like the amount that I would give it with the Ownboard hubs. If I roll into the throttle super gentle from a stop it starts going just fine, and then I can give it more throttle. I’m assuming it’s an issue of slight incompatibility with the Ownboard ESC, so we’ll see what happens when the Skullboard ESC gets here. Hoping it’s not an issue with the motors themselves lol

3 Likes

That’s a bummer. Was planning to use with the wowgo2s esc like you. But how’s the ride quality on those wheels? And grip?

yeah i am intrested in how smooth they are, how is it comparing to normal PU wheels. Is there a significant dampening effect?

@SKULLBOARD yeah, haven’t received any tracking info yet either. Ordered on last Saturday, any updates?

As it stands, my plans have changed (had to jump on that carvon torquedrive flash sale, had to) - so whenever this set comes in, it’s up for sale.

The info we are all waiting for is how the quality of ride is ? If we could use these wheels with belt drive or CARVON it would be so dope ! Most of us don’t use Chinese ESC but VESC anyway the important factor is the ride quality !!! Please update us on that point

1 Like

Sorry all! The ride quality seemed to be fantastic from my very quick test ride. It definitely soaks up the bumps and cracks in the road really well. Big difference compared to the urethane wheels. Grip felt great, but again it was a very quick first ride, so I didn’t have a chance to test them at higher speeds yet.

7 Likes

Having a hard time understanding exactly what you mean with starting from a standstill. Is the acceleration really weak or is it ok as long as you are carefull with the throttle?

TBH that squeaking/whining you describe sounds like an overcurrent protection of the ESC, it just shuts or drives a few of the phases while throtteling.

The same happens can happen when you define a hard motor overcurrent setting on a 4.12 VESC (the sounds and actual results can depend on software version, too) with low values like 15-20A. So this shouldn’t be directly a motor fault but a result of bigger wheels with also higher resistance on the motors without accommodating these in the ESC settings (and If these are locked, yeah your basicly out of luck)

1 Like

@SKULLBOARD Can you make this happend ? I mean is it a possibility for you to use ABEC or Kegel cores ? If you need a MOQ for this please tell us and we will organise a group buy with the members of The forum so you directly have enough orders to support the production of theses wheels. You have to tell us, this community definitely need these !! Please tell us.

2 Likes

second that, i dont want to ride my PU anymore, all the vibrations ect are just uncomfortable after a certain distance. I think the Flywheels core are more popular.

1 Like

I have had the same issue but it was with a beltmotor setup and the same kind of esc as these (the one from ebay or diyelectric) I think I know exactly what you mean.

In my case if I did max throttle from standstill the motor accelerated for 2 seconds, then stopped for a second, then again accelerated 2 second, stopped again until I reached a certain amount of speed (like 15km/h) and then it didn’t happen anymore. If I was cruising 15km/h and pushed full throttle, no problems. If I went under this speed, like cruising slowly around 5km/h -> full throttle and the same thing happened like I described above. If I pushed te throttle very gentle, no problems. Also no braking issues, could go for full speed and brake full throttle so pretty strange…

Really anoying actually, so I tried to find out why it was doing this, I changed the motor to a sk3-236kV and the problem was gone? First I had a turnigy-125kV motor. Used both motors unsensored so I still don’t know why the other motor had this issue because I was sure that there was nothing wrong with the 125kV motor.

Great news guys, I was very impatient and contacted directly skullboards. They will start very soon to see if they can make theses wheels with ABEC or kegel core ( should be ABEC ) I’ll keep you updated !

9 Likes

Hopefully kegel

To my knowledge ABEC cores are way more used than Kegel’s. We’ll see what they come up with, the guy said he would tell his boss and come back to me.

1 Like

I think this is changing with the Ollin wheels for example being kegel style now. At least that’s how it feels to me.

What other wheels use the abec core besides abecs and abec clones? I know the kegel core is being used by everyone and their mother recently.

Yeah abec Core is used more bc atm abec core style wheels have more Variety of size duro color…kegel style core is just starting to come along with sizes past 90mm (Boa)… I think that’s what he meant… (oh and evolve & rough stuff wheels also use abec core and also mbs longboard wheels)

1 Like

@Manola1027 @Narnash @bartroosen12 Here are some quick videos that I recorded for the Skullboard team, to confirm that it is in fact an issue of programming incompatibility with my Ownboard ESC.

Indoor, no load: https://streamable.com/s/c5j0b/rnyqeg Indoor, with load: https://streamable.com/s/l4xpm/rztmtn Outside 01: https://streamable.com/s/54sxg/sfdemw Outside 02: https://streamable.com/s/hrb19/zldakh Outside 03: https://streamable.com/s/9cxga/mymllp Outside 04: https://streamable.com/s/u6j8g/aijrcv Outside 05: https://streamable.com/s/xg112/vuvcqy

Boy do they feel fantastic going over bumps and cracks, though! They really soak it up. Can’t wait to test these out further and really put them through the ringer!

4 Likes