105mm airless tire hub motor

If half of it is for science individual Flipsky 4.12 VESCs go for around 55 on eBay.

1 Like

the flip412’s - i would need two of them right?? and would i be able to use my existing remote with those??

Yeah you’d need 2, and a diff remote. The Nano or Benchwheel are similar in feel to the Skullboard.

Is there a “dual” vesc you can recommend that would cover the functions and be contained as one unit?

People have had luck with the Flipsky dual 6, and the Flipsky dual 4.2 but mainly in 10s with conservative settings. But that would also Jack up the price. Black Friday might have some good sales to look out for though. I believe maytech makes a new dual VESC but I’m not sure about pricing or performance … Maybe @hyperIon1 or @hyperIon2 could chime in?

Ah yes! @hyperlon1 just messaged me regarding a dual setup yesterday! Thanks everyone for the help

I was about to say…

UNITY

3 Likes

I also am going to be switching to the Flipsky 4.2 dual with the Skullboard hubs and wheels. The combination with my super stiff aluminum board works great with my 185lbs on smooth concrete/smooth brick boardwalk at taming the ride compared to 90mm PU hubs.

I was debating the change of the connectors, but I really have no choice since my combo didn’t come with adapters, rather the connectors on the ESC are short, and buried under waterproofing. It will be simpler to de-solder the connectors from the motors and change them to bullets and JST for the sensors than to chop the wires coming out of the ESC and hope to reuse them.

I too notice vibration when starting up, but it goes away for me at around 10mph.

1 Like

Can you please document this process when you get to it? I wasn’t sure exactly on how to get the 9 pin connectors from skullboard’s hubs connected to the dual vesc’s

I’m sure there are diagrams for the pins once we know what’s what I can make adaptors image With this part.

1 Like

I’ll take some pictures, sure. But to be clear, I’m taking the 9-pin connector off.

So in doing it that way. Does it leave you with 4 connectors for each motor outside your enclosure?

If you do make adapters, I could use them as well.

1 Like

Adaptors ! That would be awesome!

No, I was going to make the motor leads long enough to have the connectors sit inside the enclosure, instead of outside where the waterproof existing ones sit.

1 Like

I don’t see you having an issue with the 3 phase wires. It’s the sensor wites. The jst is small and the gage of that wire suggests a splice may be in order

I already have the motors opened up. I was going to remove the connectors from the hall sensor PCB where they are currently soldered on, and simply solder on new, longer, appropriately gauged phase wires and sensor wires, and heat-shrink the lot. The opening for the wire in the enclosure already has a grommet.

The part that sucks is that the sensor wires need to be longer than the phase wires because of where they connect on the Flipsky VESC, otherwise spaghetti.

1 Like

I do see what you mean. In order to do this, the bearings need to be off as well, which is a PITA. I would buy adapters for sure, just didn’t see sourcing them as feasible.

here are the ones that come from the skullboard esc. Trying to see if I can get more info from an actual diagram. still digging