Who is using FOC and whats your setup?

Maybe i found the reson for the blown up VESC’s when you switch from BLDC to FOC. In the motor configurations advance tab there is the window for Max current ramp step (at 1kHz). This value increases by the factor 10 when you press the read configuration button. Wehn you write that value and read it again then it increases again by the factor of 10. In my case it was at 50000. Default is 0,04. That is a bug in the BLDC Tool 2.18.

So it is very easy to bring this value up to 50000 by accident. I don’t know exactly which impact this value has, but from 0,04 to 50000 doesn’t sound healthy.

7 Likes

It has been corrected in github at 27th June, so if you want to upload the newer FW 2.18 you need just to recompile it.

I’ll upload it this evening on my website.

Currently i am using the windows version. But i will switch to linux. Thanks for the info.

Now after i finally got my new vesc’s, i could finally try FOC. I like it much, but i have a small lack of torque now. Are there any settings like the ‘‘startup boost’’ in BLDC mode was?

Did you ever try this again? I’m looking into using FOC with my 12s 149kv 14/36 setup

I did test it… it was as good as earlier. I did not feel any difference but it was stable. Due some time… (I started and drove about 10 meters and after that nothing more…the VESC did not throw any fault and did not react too…Have to investigate…)

But the FOC detection worked much better and first try with C18!

after my repaired vesc Im running FOC since about 1000km now without any issues! not sure why it had to break first, but ist fine now! :relaxed:

1 Like

Hello, I tested it for some time (nearly 200km) with a 4.12 2.16 firmware version and everything was working fine on flat. I broke a DRV8302 while breaking downhill, my regen was -20A which was not that much I thought… Now I’m using BLDC on every board, don’t want to spend my time unsoldering DRV8302…

@whitepony

Still everything ok with FOC so far?

yea :sunglasses:

2 Likes

What was different about this time but vs previous times where it busted your VESC?

i really dont know! only difference right now is the 6355 alien motor instead of sk6374, so other motor detection params.

6355 alien sounds great, it´s the same that i use :grin:. Maybe i should give FOC a try. I really want to experience the smoothness compared to BLDC.

and same length battery wires? everything exactly the same just the motor difference? the new vesc is said to be better for bigger motors…maybe that was the problem.

everything exactly the same, I really dont know why it failed in the first place. actually Im extremely careful with all these small details - all my battery wires are cut to custom length and soldered directly to be a perfect fit. wire thickness is always larger than necessary (10AWG) for smaller impedance and minimum losses. receiver cables are also as short as possible and far away from high current wires, same with the antenna. both fixated with tape to never really rattle around and/or come near the high currents.

I’m guessing maybe because your smaller motor draws less current than the 6374? Just throwing a shot in the dark.

I sure hope not, because when I (finally) get my replacement VESC from Enertion I’ll be running FOC on my Enertion 6374

maybe you’ll be fine. FOC just sounds like a lottery to me, which is why i won’t be using it until version 6 hits, assuming it works better on it.

Yeah man I get it. My plan is to follow @whitepony settings to the letter to increase my chances. Honestly I just preferred the whole experience over BLDC by a good amount. More torque, my enjoyable acceleration and it just sounded nicer.

Hope your drv survives :slight_smile: