Who is using FOC and whats your setup?

huhu! I have just a little experience with FOC - tried it in an early stage with nunchuck control and it was completely weird/undriveable - usually worked well for 200m and then just started acting up. months later I tried again on my trampa in order to silence the dual 6374s … and just fried a vesc directly after 10min of playing. bottom line: Im now too afraid to try FOC again. but I would love to because of the stealth sound.

I would really like to know if someone is successfully running FOC for at least 100km+ without issues and if so, what setup are you using? battery specs, motor, VESC HW version and controller!

4 Likes

Have not tried it because too afraid to burn the VESC. I’ll wait for VESC 5.0 and new setup to give it a try. I know that @RunPlayBack have succesfully used FOC with the single Carvon V2

1 Like

I think @Hummie is using FOC as well and can maybe tell us about his experience. I am also in the same boat: too afraid of frying a VESC since even the manufacturers like @chaka and @elkick are advising against it.

I used FOC with a 6S battery and a SK3 213kv motor. It works flawlessly! When i switched to 12S and the SK3 149kv i did not get it running… I dont know why. Maybe because i have VESC HW4.10 which does not have the better capacitor at C18. Currently my VESC is broken. I will have it repaired these days and have soldered the new capacitor at C18. Then i will try it again.

Noob question: You will do a motor detection with no load. When configurating FOC i should also do it without any load (wheels)?

Been using FOC for a month or so now. No issues so far. My setup is essentially a Raptor mono with a different deck.

nice! do the raptors come with foc active or bldc?

BLDC, i think they can not afford taking the risk at the moment.

Yes the Raptor comes in BLDC mode. I don’t get the FOC hype. Okay the real hype is over after so many people fried there VESCs, but where are the advantages beside the sound? I heard the Fets get hotter and for that reason its a no-go for me.

1 Like

@whitepony I’ve been using FOC for a while now, about 100+ miles with it and I love it. My setup is here in my build thread. I added a cap to c18 and that seemed to make things run more smoothly. I have VESC HW version 4.7 so the mod improved performance.I had to tinker with the brake settings and startup to optimize it. I love FOC mode and wouldn’t go back. I like the quiet operation and somehow it feels more even during acceleration. Using PPM mode for control also worked much better for me than using the native Nunchuck app.

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/the-village-build-s9-faultine-paris-195mm-sk3-6764-diyes-mount-8s-vesc-127mm-pneumatic-wheels/292

4 Likes

@whitepony @Haimindo yup I’ve had FOC enabled on both my single and dual boards with no problems. The only time I’ve had a problem with FOC was when one of my motor phase wires came loose on my dual build which caused it to brake after a full throttle. I prefer it over BLDC because of the stealth since I’m always riding around the city. With Carvon hubs its nearly silent and I get much better battery life on FOC. Here’s a rundown of my setups:

Carvon V2 Single Hub + 12s1p LiFePO4 + Ollinboard VESC + Torqueboard 2.4ghz Mini Remote FOC Enabled Motor Max: 60.00 A Motor Min: -60.00 A Bat Max: 40.00 A Batt Min: -12.00 A Absolute Max: 130.00 A Max ERPM: 60000.00 Min input voltage: 8.00 V Max input voltage: 57.00 V Battery cut off start: 35.20 V Battery cut off end: 33.20 V Startup Boost: 0.040 Soft RPM limit: ERPM limit start: 0.00 ERPM limit end: 60000.00

Carvon V2 Dual Hub + 10s Enertion Space Cell + Ollinboard VESC’s + Torqueboard 2.4ghz Mini Remote FOC Enabled Motor Max: 60.00 A Motor Min: -60.00 A Bat Max: 15.00 A Batt Min: -12.00 A Absolute Max: 130.00 A Max ERPM: 60000.00 Min input voltage: 8.00 V Max input voltage: 57.00 V Battery cut off start: 35.20 V Battery cut off end: 33.20 V Startup Boost: 0.040 Soft RPM limit ERPM limit start: 0.00 ERPM limit end: 60000.00

11 Likes

from what I understand, the foc implementation has higher efficiency and the sound is a big deal for me. first of all it adds to the feeling of riding a regular longboard, but most of all it might just be the reason why a policemen does NOT turn his head :yum:

3 Likes

@whitepony for easy reference I’m using 2x 4S 5000MAh Lipos in series, Sk3 6764 245KV, VESC HW version 4.7 with modded C18, and modded GT2B.

-if you want to try the C18 mod let me know I can mail you a few of the extra caps I have. (you’ll need good magnification they are very tiny!)

nice to see you with a high KV SK6374 - gives me hope that a low KV SK6374 (168KV) with 10S might work too. the first carvons used SK6374 Motors if i remember correctly @RunPlayBack (which kv)?

I also had the impression, that nunchuck & FOC didnt work out at all, but before I could test it with a PPM device, I fried my vesc. Im receiving a german 4.11 C18 modded vesc hopefully this week - basically the same thing I fried on my trampa after 10minutes. ist really itching to try foc, would be the ultimate holiday boarding experience with the superflexy vanguard and a dead silent motor.

1 Like

my 2nd FOC test had the C18 mod already - I nearly died trying to get that stupid little thing piggybacked. :confused:

1 Like

I think that the Nunchuck app for vesc has variable results in terms of throttle resolution. I can’t tell if it’s because some nyko kama’s are duds, or if the app itself can’t receive the full range of throttle inputs from the device. In either case, I found it much harder to control throttle with the nunchuck; it seemed like it only sent inputs at a few intervals; 0%-50%-100% throttle.

Once I switched to gt2b everything was steez.

Haha me too! Now that I have a good jeweler’s loupe I can see how crooked the cap is, but it still works!

It’s a 4.12 and it has been delivered today. We’re currently improving speed of delivery. :slight_smile:

1 Like

To answer you initial question: I am driving FOC on all boards now, with 4.7, 4.10 and 4.12 VESCs since January. But none of the boards is on 12s (4 on 10s, 2 small cruiser on 7s) and when I switched I didn’t switch back and forth again between FOC and BLDC, I just stayed with FOC. Never had any issue at all, I’m riding every day, even in rainy conditions.

Most of the fatal failures I observed when people were using FOC with 12s or have switched between FOC and BLDC, sometimes multiple times…

I’m not sure what the reasons for those failures are, but I could imagine that for switching the modes you need to do a “factory reset” on all values in between (installing FW again and/or doing a “read default config”) to make sure to start with a clean environment. But again, that’s just a guess.

With 12s I think the risk in general is higher to have voltage peaks beyond the VESCs capabilities. The latest change Ben made to FW 2.18 might also reduce the risk a little bit. Still, FOC is in development and not yet safe for everybody. That’s why I recommend not to use it unless you understand all the values within the FOC tab and are able to manage them manually as well.

3 Likes

I read the battery wire length is more important on FOC. I’m on 12s FOC and it’s been fine. Vesc is always cool. I left al the default settings other than what I plugged in after the test. Ran the bldc test first but almost never ran bldc

1 Like

@elkick vesc arrived, lightning fast! yea, indeed, I switched between foc and bldc a few times when I fried mine! :open_mouth:

which motors & controllers are you running?

I am using a various motors at the moment: CarvOns V1 and V2 (SK3-6374/149kv), Johns hubmotors with 80kv and 90kv, our own esk8-6355/200kv and esk8-6374/200kv sensored, chinese no-name (Bubblegum Board, in Kid’s mode) 5065/245kv, Alien 5065/270kv sensored (now replaced by our own 6255).

Remotes: Badwolf gt2b mod, Mini-Remote 2.4GHz, Kama Nunchuk, 1x Wii-Nunchuk with wiiceiver, Generic (bechwheel) 2.4Ghz Remote.

Cable length were an issue in the beginning, but staying below 30cm I never had a problem anymore.

1 Like