Who is using FOC and whats your setup?

I second this.

You’ll want a heat sink if you’re actually pulling any serious amperage through the VESC.

I have been using FOC only on my modified Yuneec board (19.5Amp, -20Amp). The wires are super short here and very well insulated so its been a great settings test board.

I’ve found that if I go full throttle 10s on BLDC I can draw as much as 60Amps but the board was both loud and would shut down from heat. Same voltage on FOC maxes out at 20Amps because the motor would stutter at full throttle (because FOC measures current and high currents seem to be more difficult for it to process) which is why I set my max at 19.5Amps (regen is still safe at -20Amps). Before I go further, I originally thought my board was disconnecting due to a bad connection when riding, but I rode with a bluetooth chip instead of the Nyko Kama and found that the problem was heat buildup. I’m sending my VESC back to Chaka for a heatsink and clean up this week.

If heat build up still prevents me from riding full throttle every 45 minutes, leaving me stranded for 5-10 minutes as I cool down I’ll let y’all know. I look forward to VESC 5.0.

Edit: SENSORLESS FOC

2 Likes

on FOC I have no problem sitting on full throttle. Going up hills it showed 45 or 50 amps from the battery. Have the limits set to 60 battery 60 motor and I’m hitting the esc to motor amp limit.

Higher voltage runs the vesc cooler. Not the motor though

that makes sense considering max watt is around 2200 for vesc

@whitepony just saw on endless that you killed your VESC again. What happened?

just riding with average load, I dont really know what happened, didnt test motor yet cause I dont have a spare vesc. :’(

I sent it to repair and will go back BLDC once ist back in my hands. screw low speed silence … :angry:

1 Like

Wish we could find out what’s happened. U have such bad experiences with FOC maybe it’s the motor or something else or ur settings. Were u fully charged or do u have screen shots of ur settings?

autodetect motor parameters, sanity check values with physics phd, motor ran fine for 350km, you saw the video! 100% sure I did nothing wrong and in fact I set the max currents quite defensively with 50A max battery and 70A max motor current.

1 Like

Did it get hot? Was it encased? Did u check right away? Anything look blown? 70 to the motor is high according to some

it wasnt cold, but also not burning hot (hand on enclosure under vesc), so far the 80->100°C soft off in my tesseract is working well since quite a lot of battery chanrges. when the vanguard vesc broke it was also just under medium load at best. :confused:

who’s VESC were you running?

How much is a DRV replacement in Europe? I want to figure out if its worth a shot to try FOC when my enertion vescs arrive.

About 50€ by the guy in germany, dortmund who helped vedder a lot! Nice costumer service and professional work.

1 Like

I’m in the process of finishing up my board and looking to for info to configure my board, i’m really interested in FOC-mode because of ninja-stealth (want to be riding low-key). But i was wondering, if you ride dual VESC and it blows, does it blow both of the VESCs? Or is the issue so unknown that its hard to say?

Just switched to FOC mode and really enjoying it. Almost no cogging from a standstill and seems to have a bit more torque. But, oh the silence! Its great!. Running DIY 12s pack through Ollin VESCs (version 4.11 and fw 2.18) and dual Carvon V2 hubs. I flashed the newest firmware to the VESCs (2.18) then followed the usual FOC setup and its working just fine. Fingers crossed…

2 Likes

Welcome to the FOC club @Freeflyer!

I have almost the exact same setup as you. The only difference is that I haven’t flashed to firmware 2.18. I’m still on 2.17.

repaired vesc is back, 60€ for a changed drv8302. running bldc again now, tired of killing vescs. currently charging battery on my vanguard for an afternoon run. in the meantime I was riding my tesseract with bldc a lot again - at intermediate to topspeed I must say that bldc is more silent than foc, no idea why but thats how it is.

gave it a max range tour in BLDC mode, hit 44km and wasnt even in the sub 32V soft off region of my vesc settings. in FOC mode, my battery died at 32km and that was me basically pushing the last 2km in the soft off 30-32V region. :confused:

was going cruise tempo around 23kph average, wide swings so I wouldnt brake too much while carving. the average of the first screenie is off cause I visited my mum in the hospital and didnt switch off the gps thing.

the split list shows that quite well:

final battery voltage, just a fraction above the upper battery limit, so I probably couldve cruised another 2km before I had to push the board:

1 Like

thats counter intuitive. I thought foc was more efficient. so it’s said. I’ll have to do some testing myself. 42 vs 32km???! that’s awful. were things hot?

more like 46 vs 32km if you factor in soft off vs. above soft off! I certainly lack statistics - its basically just 2000km+ old 10S4P tesseract bldc cruising tour (40km in softoff) vs. brandnew 10S4P vanguard bldc cruising tour (44km +2km easily before softoff) vs. vanguard foc testing (32km in softoff), the latter on perfect pavement at admittedly slightly larger average speed and harder carving. the others were pure cruise tours on various pavement with more slopes too. otherwise, temperatures were pretty much the same.

would be interesting to see other peoples experience with these 2 modes. I always got a hard time testing that kind of stuff, because I just cant go 20ish kph without carving for 2 hours. :stuck_out_tongue:

I rarely hit the battery limit otherwise cause my usual tours are in the 2Xish km regions.

That is good range. Interesting that FOC isn’t more efficient after all. Hope your mum gets better soon!