What do you use to solder large wires?

I can never manage to solder 2 10awgs together. Gas 135w iron too, tried all tips, tinned tip, no luck. Luckily my iron is a mini blowtorch too, few seconds in front of the flame and i just have to touch the copper with the solder and it flows beautifully. I plaster the copper in flux first. 60/40 solder.

I can solder an 8 awg wire no problem with the hakko. And that was at 650c and I think the unit goes up to 1000c

I like my little blow torch

I don’t tin anymore and fill the plug with solder than blast the wire and stick it in. like 5 bucks.

1 Like

Definitely doing that next time when I feel too lazy to switch to fatter tips.

I use this on high power for heavy soldering. My theory: The more power you have the faster you can solder. This means good solder joints with a smaller heat affected zone.

Weller wes51 or 51d if you want a digital soldering iron. I do up to 6awg at work and the weller never fails

Weller has been the standard for a long time. I got this one for light duty. I bought it second hand at least 30 years ago and it still works.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/HOODDEAL-Waterproof-Solder-Connectors-Soldering/dp/B00ESXX74G

and a bic lighter. They’re pretty bombproof

1 Like

Thanks for all the tips guys, I will go after the standard ones or the high power pistol type, there’s not much diversity here, will update as soon I get one

Just got this one, paid half of the price I saw online

You sure you dont talk F° here? 650°C is enought to melt brass and aaaaalmost aluminium (660°C)… And at 1000°C you are starting to melt copper…

Oops fahrenheit yup

1 Like