VESC FAQ | Connect The Nyko Kama wireless wii NunChuck

Is there a way to connect the dual VESC by connecting Rx and Tx of master and Slave VESC?

Make sure your solder connections are good?

The logic3 is not actually working the way it should is it? So far AFAIK the only nunchuck that works is the Nyko

I had a logic 3 on my original board and it worked fine. Just doesn’t have the range necessary which makes it drop out often. (At least mine did)

And with not enough range you mean you standing on top of the board was already too far away? Otherwise this would be amazing news - the logic3 is much easier to get than a nyko

Edit: well I checked and in Europe it is actually not easier to get :cry:

It dropped out every so often, and I had it so it would break slowly if it loses connection. I had to put that connection timeout to 3 seconds (So it would keep the same accel value for 3 seconds before starting to break) which was scary.

So a few weeks later I got one of these (from a group buy, not necessarily this manufacturer. And I’ve felt much safer with it than the nunchuck, so I chucked the nunchuck in the bin of chuckable items.

Hi to everyone! I am new to this forum and to electric skateboards. I decided months ago to build a electric skateboard. I ordered the pieces and now I have all of them at home. I have bought a VESC and a wireless nunchuck controller, but when I opened my VESC I discovered that it’s different from the ones I see here, so I don’t know how to connect it. The wireless controller board it’s clearly marked, so I need to know the 6 pin layout of my VESC board.

Thanks in advance

Here are some pics of the VESC and the controller:

@jabot88 Looks just like mine, albeit more chinese. Here’s the video I followed to get it hooked up. He’s got some good links as well to this forum where Onloop have a guide as well.

“Any” wireless nunchuck will not work - you need the Nyko kama or get a different remote

1 Like

Hey everyone, i have the same kama reciver, like in post 170 and connected it like in post 176 but the controller is not connecting. If I connect the reciver to a normal Wii-Remote it works fine. Anyone has an idea what i could do?

Hey all, I’ve been working on a solution to allow nunchuck to act as a simple R/C receiver for my electric skateboard. If all goes well, I will offer it for sale soon. But in my journey, I have bought 7 nunchucks, and only 1 has worked! I figured I would share my experience here in case it helps someone else on a similar path:

Nunchucks that HAVE NOT WORKED:

(New forum user, so I wasnt able to use actual URL links above :confused: )

The ONLY wireless nunchuck’s that has worked is the Nyko Kama BLACK - sold as item 87111.

For what its worth, I am a software engineer, and I have played around with no less than 4 different “sample codes” and arduino libraries. I have implemented a couple different ‘handshake’ routines, tried with and without encryption and scoured wiibrew.org for detailed protocol documentation. Its unclear why only the black nyko kama works, but that’s what I have found. My guess is earlier versions of the white nyko kamas have the same internals as the black kamas, but more recent white kamas have had some change made to them. Just a theory, and would explain why there are posts online in arduino forums about how they have their white nyko kama working with their projects.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

My Nyko kama worked fine for my VESC, but when stuffed back in the noisy (RF interference) Speed Controller box, it would hold commands, and disengage randomly. A perfect storm for an E-board. It never made it off the stand. My next build will have to make use of the kama I have. It WILL be SOLDERED to the Master vesc, leads shielded, and large ferrite ring in place. Mounted as far away from any source of RF interference as well. :confounded: The range in my manual stated <1meter? here it is next to my trusty 2.4 handheld radio. Its been operated around alot of other RC radios, and various small model radios without any interference mishaps, I cant say its power is low enough to be legal in all countries though…

hi, i have bought this same nunchuck but it doesn’t seem to work, it is the third wii nunchuck we have bought the one you suggested, another nonbranded one and a wired nunchuck. should we expect at least the wired one to work? i have a 4.12 VESC board with 2.16 software. do you have any idea why it wouldnt work i believe the pins we have connected to are correct, is there anything you did to make it work? thanks lucas

I have this one

Pull the wires out and solder or use a female pin to your vesc. Am waiting for XT90 connector and see what happens

Will hot glue later. Still need to see if it works

So this tutorial ‘worked’ for me with this controller: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047SFGDW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The VESC I own is: collections/esc-speed-controller/products/torque-esc-vesc-bldc-electronic-speed-controller Unfortunately this is past tense because the connection was cutting out, which I attributed to not having soldered the connections. I put about 10 miles on the board before this started happening so wen’t back to solder everything and suddenly I wasn’t able to get the joystick or the C/Z button to react. The receiver lights up and connects, but I’m not getting any wheels turning when using it. When connected via BLDC, I have no issue using the keyboard to turn the wheels. This was happening with the I2C ports so I went back to square 1 with the wiimote I originally had working via:

but now that setup isn’t turning the wheels either using the servo connections. Could I have fried something on the board that would stop any signal reception?

I have this problem with firmware and the dongle that I rewired seems to be working. Will have to wait and find out.

Hi Raven, so you think its a firmware related issue? Do you have the same VESC? What alteration did you make that seems to be working?

It’s fixed now after some tweaking. Don’t think hall sensor fail really matter.