VESC Braking (release)

@Michaelinvegas I can only do 8s or 12s… Will be willing to try anything for silence as soon as my big toe is healed. Road rash is healed enough I could take some more. Might just put my motorcycle race suit on though…for science of course and record for amusement.

You could do both (batt and motor) yes. Go as low as you can but of course only to a level which still allows full braking. Just to test things and to rule out any spikes.

What type of pack are you using? Capacity and C rating? Have you implemented FOC?

I have 4 Turnigy 5000mAh 3S 20C lipos in series. No FOC, what would that do?

Sometimes a VESC will behave this way after having been run on FOC. Do you have any way of monitoring the voltage as you apply the brakes?

In real time on the board… How would one do that?

I thought you had a voltage display on your board? If the voltage is peaking over the VESC’s threshold during braking it will reset causing a loss in brakes momentarily.

Oh yes I do have that, I thought maybe like a laptop monitoring. It never goes anywhere near peak voltage. I was braking in the mountains last month hard and could never get it to climb over voltage. Never had a release when I was there though…

Battery was charged at 42V (10s) , BLDC Max Voltage set at 43V .

Had this brake issue (brakes letting go after a sec oŕ two) for first time this afternoon. Happened at least 4-5 times in a row. I wld shut badwolf on/off , try again. Then try powering on/off board , try again,…after 4-5 times, braking regained normal function.

Chaka :… if i charge to 42V should I set my Max Voltage a little higher (46-47) v to avoid this brake shutdown fron Regen Voltage peak ??

Also ,…Is there a specific order of powering ON board and controller (badwolf) , should i power ON controller before board?

Are you running with or without a bms? It could also b that your cells are failing and the regen current is causing voltage spikes.

Without bms , battery pack is new.

This was the only time it has done this , battery was full at 42v. Took another ride tonight at a lower charge 40v , …no problem.

Would have to try this again at full charge 42v and try braking to see if it happens only at full charge?

Just posted this over on Veeder’s forum.

The following faults were registered since start:

Fault : FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT Current : -3.5 Current filtered : 131.1 Voltage : 50.22 Duty : 0.00 RPM : 2871.4 Tacho : 138462 Cycles running : 27058 TIM duty : 263 TIM val samp : 131 TIM current samp : 26505 TIM top : 52747 Comm step : 1 Temperature : 48.34

Would like maximum braking, what would I need to adjust to keep this from happening?

1 Like

@elkick over at Vedder’s forum a guy is suggesting turning down absolute max current. I am not home to check this out, but will after work. That may allow for stiff brakes and no cut outs… maybe.

@chaka do any of the settings in the fault code show you anything?

1 Like

Honestly the drv chip is likely failing. I have done a number of upgrades to the components used in the construction of our VESC in the last few weeks/months and I no longer get these drop outs in braking. I also keep my max motor amps down to 30-50 amps depending on the motor at 12s. I go higher with lower voltages. I have never experienced these drop outs on smaller motors that have a max output within the specs of the VESC, I only have trouble with larger motors with a max output that exceeds the version 4.12 VESC specs.

If you would like to send your unit in for a retrofit let me know. Cover shipping and parts and we can call it good!

2 Likes

You are hitting 131A with a 12s setup. That’s quite weird. I’d assume that if you lower that limit from 130 to 100A for example the VESC might even cut off earlier. Although it would be excellent if it works.

But to be honest, I think there is something else which isn’t working correctly (motor maybe).

@Chaka I would love that. I’ll email you.

@elkick I am seeing it that way, if I am hitting 130 and lower it that means failure quicker. What would the motor be doing that isn’t correct?

You should read this: http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=200 Had the same problem like you. Maybe it are the shunts for you also.

1 Like

It’s just significant that it’s generating 131A while breaking. Maybe that’s normal for that motor, but it’s quite high. I have no idea if and what could go wrong, short term shorts or something? Only guessing, it’s difficult to predict. Strange thing is, that it never occurred with my motors again, since I changed Amps for motor and battery.

1 Like

Interesting @hexakopter, I am sending mine back to @chaka to look at.

The 130A peak came from the “Absolute max” setting in bldc tool. When I changed it to 100A I got a fault with Current filtered around 100A and when changing to 80A a current filtered of around 80A. That wasn’t the current really floating there, just a wrong reading because of the bad soldered shunt. So the STM32 was just thinking the high current was there because of the input reading.

1 Like