Vedder's VESC 6.0

Thank you for clearing that up. I thought it was typo everyone was expected to ignore. I have 4 on my bench, I heard about 5 and then people kept mentioning 6 and i was wondering wtf they were talking about 5 isn’t even out yet.

I’m pretty pumped about the new form factor. its going to fit nicely floating over the BMS on standoffs when i find one that works in the appropriate size.

Nice idea, but hoping they are layered with heat-sinks then to dissipate the heat generated :wink:

get a nice piece of aluminum as the meat for the VESC sandwich :hamburger:

1 Like

There is a few changes between these version, more caps, thicker traces…

Are there any updates from Vedder yet?

1 Like

Vedders latest post on the 6.0 thread was back in 05 Sep 2016. He said that he’d built a second batch of prototypes and did some more testing. And he is also rewriting the BLDC tool. You can read his entire post here http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=149&start=180

Is there any chance that 6.0 will allow the controlling of 2 motors with 1 esc?

No but two esc on one board maybe.

Wait, why is this post called V6.0 when Vedder’s post is 5.0?

look a few posts up…

I got a notification about a new comment and I had not read that, thanks

1 Like

Does anyone know when the 6.0 vesc will be released?

this may help.

3 Likes
17 Likes

The VESC6 and VESC tool looks soooooo gooooood :heart_eyes:.

Qoute from the VESC godfather himself: "Hopefully everything will be ready in the first quarter of 2017, including reliable and well-tested hardware. I will try to arrange beta testing this year, because that will be very helpful. With the release of the VESC6 I want to decrease the failure rate to a minimum and offer warranty for the hardware by default, while making all software much easier to use. It should also become easier to make contributions to the code with a better structure and clear procedures and guidelines. I also want to set up a solid framework for the VESC open source project, which does not really exist now.

VESC Tool has taken more time than I expected, but it really starts to look polished. There are a few things left to do though. I also set up a build server so that I can make statically linked linux builds that work on most distros without installing anything, and use policykit to ask for root permission to automatically add udev rules for the serial port from VESC Tool. Additionally, I can cross compile windows builds on my Linux server now, so there will also be an official windows version of VESC Tool.

The firmware also has a lot of updates. Many of them are bug fixes and cleanups, but there are also some new features such as throttle curves, wattage limits (in case of legal requirements), a center pulsewidth for the ppm app, ramping for the ppm app, NRF nunchuk pairing and more."

8 Likes

Eating popcorn because I want a comparison from enertions vesc X vs 6.0 from vedder. It’s nice they developed the 4.0 version on their own. But what makes the difference in the end. The video from vedder looks very promising. Especially the further development of the VESC tool and the amount of current it can handle !

1 Like

The new VESC Tool looks incredible, I like all of the help files, instructions, and wizards. Thrilled about the new casing. WHAT he drops the whole motor into a bucket of water!? What is going on? Did he also invent some kind of new oleophobic motor!? I need to go donate to Vedder again!

4 Likes

All outrunners are waterproof… nothing new there

2 Likes

True, but like @JTAG mentioned. Let’s merge this one with the 6.0 thread that’s going on and keep ontopic. It’s brilliant what he did there. And if the motor is insulated properly, it should perfectly work in water without shorts.

1 Like

I’m giving this an ETA of maybe before the end of March?