Vedder's VESC 6.0

@chaka So in your professional opinion, would it be more advisable to go with smaller motors with the 4.12 rev and wait for V6 to get started building with the larger motors?

Imo smaller motors are much more trouble free on the v4.12 vesc. I have yet to experience any fault codes using the 50mm motors. V6 should be considered bleading edge untill we get though a few beta production runs.

3 Likes

Guys so what’s the next version of VESC …is it going to be named 5.0 or 6.0 ?

10 characters

Truly appreciate Benj V developing this awesome ESC for us E-board enthusiasts. Will it still be open source?

@RainbowUnicorn the current VESC is fine for smaller motors, but from what Chaka has told me for bigger motors the new VESC will be much better.

1 Like

What is the main difference? Why is it better for bigger (63mm?) motors?

Usually they tend to have more power/torque, and they should always dissipate heat better :wink:

According to chaka, there are stability issues on the current VESC for 63’s. Though I’m not sure why that is. My guess is that it’s related to higher current in the system.

Basically what @Jinra said, and I only know what I know because of chaka. He’s the probably the most qualified person to ask on this forum for VESC questions. He can give you all the technical info.

@treenutter @Haimindo - how about VESC BOB! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob)

I’m super excited by the new design. I’m still using 4.7/4.8 HW on mine, but could see upgrading. Especially if it’s compatible with >200kv motors on 12s? (i like to gear down, and am looking for larger pulleys >36t for big ABEC wheels (90/97/107mm).

And it’s always good to put some $ towards these improvements. I’ve sent over $150 to Ben (he got 1/2 of $ from his anti-spark switches, plus other contributions as thanks). Great to give back and help him continue to develop for the community!!

3 Likes

I’m excited, are they being shipped out now?

I don’t think the PCB layout is completed yet lol.

THIS IS UNFOUNDED

let’s get some proof first before we start spreading false information.

If I was selling 50mm motors i would probably tell similar stories too.

2 Likes
  • Larger stator diameter.
  • Bigger stator teeth, more copper turns.
  • Larger Cooper mass.
  • Larger magnets.
  • Better heat dissipation.
  • Higher current/power rating.
  • More torque!
1 Like

:joy: u have so much potential for a possible comedian

1 Like

I’d love to see proof. I’d also like to know why FOC is killing some VESCs, but no one seems to have a conclusive answer.

it seems to occur when people are switching between modes (BLDC & FOC) without having the correct motor detection parameters set in FOC.

my advice is don’t play with it unless your willing to risk blowing it up.

1 Like

Maybe you should be an actor. Because I can’t tell if you being a dick or not.

9 Likes

One could say that if I was selling 63mm motors with vesc’s that I wouldn’t want people to think there were potential issues. :wink:

Would definitely like to see some proof of the stability issues as well though.

1 Like

:joy:no not being a dick