Vedder's VESC 6.0

Awesome, at which point we’ll be able to purchase VESC’s from Trampa?

VirtualBox is a free open source alternative for those that don’t wish to purchase parallels. It should work just as well.

There’s a few points in that paragraph that are a little off…

MacOS / OSX is the operating system that runs on Apple’s desktop and laptop computers, not iPhones. There are many open source applications that are available for MacOS, Apple has no problem with you running this on your Mac.

The issues you touch on arise with the official Apple App Stores (both on Macs and iPhones), in that they impose additional restrictions on the software. These restrictions conflict with the restrictions imposed by the GPL open source license. There are several other open source licenses (MIT, Apache, etc) that do not conflict with the App Store agreement. You’ll actually find a lot of open source applications in the App Store…just not usually GPL licensed applications.

Also, if Vedder holds the copyright to all the code, then he can license it however and to whoever (eg; Apple) he wants.

2 Likes

Sure, but it’s GPL. I know that MAC OS is not an issue. In future the issue will be only the iOS and Apple store. For the now Benjamin compiled the Windows and Linux versions. He can’t work on everything in parallel, since we need a solution to compile the software with ease, every single week (weekly update service). So MAC is a currently not priority Nr. 1. If VirtualBOX works out that is the way forward until the MAC stuff has been taken care about.

Frank

3 Likes

Will this cable go from my flysky FS-GR3E reveicer to the VESC 6.0?

I have not yet received my instructions PDF, and am confused on how to connect my receiver to my dual VESC 6 setup. Someone help this newb! Love you guys!

Check his youtube channel :thumbsup:

2 Likes

@trampa I’m not sure what the protocol is, but I just figured I’d poke my head in here and check how the shipping of the VESCs is going. I got the vesc-tool email but no shipping confirmation yet. (I’m in USA if that helps) Sorry if this is a pointless post, I’m just getting antsy over here sitting on my hands waiting to play with the new goodies.

Hope Benjamin is doing well and not overtaxing himself - We need him up and vedder-ing again!

New VESC Tool is amazing ! Ben told us months and months ago that he dedicated all its free time to. We can feel now why. Congratulations !

I run it on a virtual linux machine on my Mac flawlessly. As Benjamin develops on Linux, and because it’s totally free, I think it’s worth more to do like this than a Mac version which won’t benefit of latest updates because of the time-consuming it requires.

At least for the beta and the regular updates VESC Tool will surely receive. :wink:

@trampa : just my 2cents for the user manual : you should add a drawing for the mounting holes, and details about mechanical installation before electrical connection chapter (such as the screw size) :wink: And for “Connectors and switches” chapter, please add the type of connector (JST-PH I guess).

BTW, by reading the user manual, it feels like we’re holding a professional state-of-the-art device. Congrats !

5 Likes

This is the BETA Manual. I will do some updates. THX for the input.

JST-PH 2mm is correct.

Frank

2 Likes

Can we see the new schematics?

The reason I’m asking for that is that, looking at the “old” VESC, PC6/PC7 as well as PB10/PB11 seem to be connected to pins 5+6 of P3. I don’t quite understand why that is and would rather have both separately so that I²C and serial both work (I²C to talk to sensors and serial for command and debug).

Schematic is already released. Dive into the VESC world and you will find it.

1 Like

Awesome, arrived today!

13 Likes

@trampa, Thank you soooo much for the goodies, I (and surely all other betas) appreciate a lot this kind gift !

Can’t wait to power my Holypro with them now ! (but have to replace 4mm by 5.5mm bullets before for connecting Overion motors) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

so when can we hear the first reviews? @caustin @JTAG @sl33py

I have to think of an application first, one that puts the ESC to the limit, it is so beefy that full power usage is almost scary xD.

I think that I will mount it to my electric scooter, that should at least initially on acceleration draw some power.

If you have any other ideas please name them!

1 Like

I’m planning to run a single motor build (6374) with it and test it on very steep hills something that was an almost impossible task for the 4.12 without cutting off due to overheating

3 Likes

Im still messing around with settings. After Vedder’s torture test seeing how the he got the ERPM to such a high number, makes me wonder what I should set mine at.

Nice shirt! Perfect size for me!

The two vesc’s were a little bigger than I thought but it will fit with my planned battery size, so all great! They feel great in my hands. :ok_hand:

Well this is the esk8 builders forum so I’d obviously like to know how they do on an esk8/eMTB. How robust is FOC mode and can it make dual drives obsolete?

1 Like

Well my skateboard is completely finished and waterproof, I wont be taking it apart to test the VESC6. It is build so compact that it would take quite some time to do that. Next to that the VESC6 is to powerfull that at full power it will destroy the motors on my board. My electric scooter on the other hand does have a big motor, that would really put an ESC to the test.

Single drive esk8 will always be uncomfortable since the board tends to steer either left or right when braking / accelerating aggressively, putting a big motor controller on a single drive system will only magnify this discomfort.

I think that this weekend we will build a nice test setup and maybe will even be able to document it.

4 Likes

I will try this on my existing 12S prototype

1 Like

I agree, uneven braking is my main issue with single belt drives, but at least there’s less drag than dual