Vedder's VESC 6.0

cheers, thankyou

This is perfect. Its just the right size to fit the stock Intel heatsink. cool temperatures here I come!

1 Like

Hi, we just did a little test riding this weekend. First production sample landed for confirmation! Benjamin is testing the sample thoroughly, so that we can get BETA VESCs shipped over.

Benjamin set it up to push 70A towards our motor (40-45Amp rated). We could easily get the motor to 100Ā°C, doing some continuous up hill riding and pushing a second skateboarder (something you should never do). The VESC 6 stayed completely cool, not even hand warm. So before you are planning to drop heat sinks on, its probably not necessary at all, since the housing is a heat sink already. Next test will be 100A on a bigger motor, which should also just work fine without additional cooling. VESC 6 can handle a lot! Truth is: it makes no sense to push more Amps in most cases, since your motor stator will reach saturation and increasing any further will have no big effect, except having a terrible low efficiency and a boiling hot motor, which will make it even less efficient, finally ending in a negative spiral towards system shutdown or fried motors.

Frank

6 Likes

Now you can colour me impressed. I absolutely cant wait now!! it sounds like you and Benjamin have made something great again!!!

1 Like

If only they had chosen America!

1 Like

What we also did was spinning a heavy pneumatic wheel from full forward to full reverse (4500RPM@motor) in a fraction of a second. And Benjamin did that 10 times in 10 seconds. You basically think your drive train will come apart next! Basically it did because I forgot the Locktite on the pulley grub screw (-;

Then we set the throttle delay to almost zero and implemented an aggressive throttle curve to have a maximum boosted acceleration performance (full power instantly). Very impressive performanceā€¦ Driving like that is really scary. I call that the @nowind settings from now on (on/off). All you need is a hand held button.

We do all tests on a single drive with heavy riders to get max. strain on the VESC, motor and drivetrain.

Frank

3 Likes

not gonna lie. Im getting hyped for this. its sounding amazing!!

keep up the fantastic work!

Me too! Currently I donā€™t hold one in my hands, just like everyone else. They are all in Sweden to get max. abuse testing in Benjamins ESC torture chamber. Unfortunately Benjamin could not kill one yet, which concerns me a bit. I like destruction testingā€¦ Vesc 4 with BLDC-tool to VESC 6 with VESC tool is a bit like the transition from a flip style cell phone to a modern smart phone. Another leagueā€¦

Frank

7 Likes

Benjamin made VESC great again! Thatā€™s an international achievement and it will be Open Source (no great walls). Zero protectionism and even available to Mexicans.

Frank

25 Likes

And carbon neutral for those who believe!

To all Betaā€™s: There is a lengthy update on the Vedder VESC6 Beta topic on vedderā€™s forum.

2 Likes

http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=590&start=10

Frank

6 Likes

I have considered buying one of the new VESC-X from Enertion, since my ESC from Alien went aflame a few weeks agoā€¦ However, the more I read about the upcoming VESC 6.0, it sounds like it is worth waiting for. Are Vedder himself planning to sell the new VESCā€™s then its finished? That would be amazing, especially since I live in Denmark ā€“ shipping would be easy!

Hi @solidgeek, Benjamin will not sell them directly. We do that in cooperation. Benjamin canā€™t do everything, so that burden is off his shoulders. PM me if you want one.

Frank

1 Like

So you already have them in your hands? Would be great to get an update.

2 Likes

@Trampa

Can the vesc 6.0 handle 14 series at 57.4 volts?

1 Like

@trampa I have the same question as above, what is the max voltage??

12S! Thatā€™s 51V fully charged. Anything higher will kill it.

Frank

1 Like

Fair enough.

I was hoping I could push 170kv motors to within a hair of the 65,000 limit by going 14 series. (64,890.7 to be exact at 4.1 volts times 14)

the VESC6 does not have the ERPM limit of the VESC4 - I think I read somewhere that Vedder actually got up to 150.000 ERPM