Vedder's VESC 6.0

He mentioned he is also going to test a 380kv motor at 120amp limit @12s soon! Hopefully it works.

Has anyone tried 14s on the vesc?

It will cause component failures at 14s. A few people have tried. :disappointed_relieved:

You definitely can up to a point. As you get into the 10 or 12s range you start creating a lot of heat from the increased switching frequency in the mosfets. 8-10s seems to be where the vesc is happiest(depending on application).

It is a dangerous practice though. There can be occasions where the voltage can spike during regen and exceed the max voltage threshold set within the bldc-tool. If you are using up all the buffer and setting the max voltage to 60v I am not sure the processing speed of the stm chip will be up to the task of protecting the components.

1 Like

@Lizardking0069 I use this configuration now, but with 14/60 gearing. It worked very well for a season but I ended up with a DRV error, it may have been caused by a bad wiring job (I think one of the motor leads might have made contact with another one, causing a small short). The error occurred on a day when I rode a long downhill road while braking. If it’s true that the larger motor is not well-matched with the current version of VESC, this could have caused the DRV fault.

At any rate, it worked great for about 150 miles of riding; and it’s not possible to know exactly what went wrong. Thread about it here:

1 Like

@chaka how low do you set your braking parameters when you run a 63mm motor w VESC? I’m trying to find a balance between good braking performance and reducing the risk of over-current when braking.

Between -7 and -15 amps. It helps to have a stout battery pack to keep the regen from raising the voltage too rapidly also. So it really depends on several factors. This is another reason I have grown accustom to really large battery systems.

2 Likes

What would you qualify as a “really large” battery system? I’m putting together a 10s5p. Would that meet base criteria?

His free ride deck houses 666wh, so I assume something like that :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think mine is around 800 watt hours

Just enough room for one VESC.

11 Likes

I didn’t want to start a new thread, so I’ll ask here: Does anyone have files for VESC HW rev higher than 4.8? On one hand it’s “open hardware & software”, on the other hand a lot of resellers/makers here claim to churn out v6 (“with all the bugs fixed”) soon and it’s not in public access. I want to maka a single board of two ESCs with a specific footprint, so i need source files and also i don’t want to build upon the 2015 version.

Thanks.

@MidnightOne VESC V6 is still in its early stages. You can check Benjamin Vedder’s website for updates.

@MidnightOne you can get VESC 4.12 off OshPark

VESC 4.12

@treenutter Thanks for pointing out, judging by the “v5” thread there, v6 is almost read and also now drv burnouts will be less likely, which is great.

@DougM Thanks, but you didn’t get my points, I need schematics (not the readymade PCB) to rearrange components and make my own PCB design with specific dimensions. I also want to have the latest revision, since i’ll be doing quite some work on it, so It would be really dounting to finish rework on current gen VESC the day before v6 is released.

EVERYTHING you need is on vedders github

1 Like

I might go on a limb here, but what about when this version is finished, make a VESC6 dual for dual motor setups with 2 outputs for the motors? where you can detect and configure them both… Having traction control within one config… Could save us some space and would be a little sturdier and easier to mount.

It would be nice to have a modular design where we can easily ‘layer’ the pcbs into a nice little VESC sandwich :smiley:

@Stevemk14ebr @flatsp0t I’ll stop spamming now, but one last time: My initial post is based on github, the latest revision there is 4.8, so I was asking wheather anyone had any higher verions. Now I know to wait till v6 is ready. But thanks anyway for tying to help.

@Jinra I don’t think it will be worth it to stack vescs on top of each other.

1. e-skates are all about how slim can you make them (not talking about Trampas).
  2. Heat.