Torqueboards 12s esc overheating - Help!

More aerodynamic, less drag, less heat. Just saying lol

how long (mm) is your belt? Also I always wondered why people run their motor wires right below the motor area? If you are doing a tight turn with some normal or semi-loose trucks, it will rub on those wires. I shifted mine because original owner had done the same thing and I see rub marks on the wires. If you don’t remove them (assuming you run tight trucks) they will short out soon I believe.

My torqueboard 12s just started doing the overheat thing too…gets stupidly hot and the motor does too. Just switched all my components over to a new board, went outside to try and got the death beep after less than a km…did a bench test with a towl burn for resistance and both the motor temp and esc temp skyrocketed. really weird. it’s pretty warm here in Madrid Spain but i didn’t think it was that warn mid 80’s.

Im a heavier dude, 95 kg, running 90mm wheels, 6355 enertion motor, 7s battery and 15mm 36t x 15t belt and pully

Any thoughts gentlemen?

Might try to change my ESC to a VESC this weekend see if that will fix it.

@monkey32 Do you have a 12S SBEC model?

I’ve got overheating issues as well. I run at a higher voltage (38.4) Around 10S. I’m using 83mm wheels, an SK3 190kv 6364 motor and 15T 36T gearing. My belt is not overly tight either. It just just tighter than letting the belt slip during heavy braking.

I was thinking about changing the heatsink. I have the OPTO version.

Yes, the older 12s with sbec. Any thoughts? Worked like a charm last year and a half.

Might be the thermal paste between the heatsink and PCB in your case? I’ve heard that stuff wears out after being hot a lot.

But mine is new still.

EDIT: I tried riding today when it was 60 degrees out and it still overheated…

I’m also having an overheating problem on two different set ups using the TB 12s w/ SBEC. I just think it is the 90+ degree temps Im riding in. I can ride hard for about 4 miles before The esc cuts the power due to overheating. I will also add that I am using two different Pychotiller enclosures. They look great but there is little/ no air flow or space for air in the box. I am planning on creating some ventilation holes in the enclosure above where the esc is mounted. I think this will solve the problem and I’ll post my finding as soon as I can.

The enclosures look so good, I hate having to cut into them for ventilation.

g

1 Like

Yeah, wouldn’t look as beautiful anymore ;(

Barajabali said changing timing to normal should fix overheating issues. I’ll post my findings soon.

After setting motor timing to “Normal” and acceleration to Medium, my ESC overheated only after 4 miles. Before it was every mile.

I am 180lb and using a single Sk3 190kv 6364 with 15t/36t gearing. It was only around 65 degrees F outside and I was not going full speed most of the time.

Added some air vents and test rode my board tonight. It definitely helped cool things down. I rode hard for 6.6 miles and the last .6 was a long steep hill. It overheated at the top so I had to take a break and then rode it 2 more miles home. I added 2 larger air entry holes on the side of the enclosure and several air exit holes right above my the ESC. The temp was about 85degrees F. I’m running a sks6364 230kv motor with. 16/36 gearing on 83m wheels. My current ESC setting are soft acceleration, high motor timing so I still have some room to play around with those.

Hey guys,

The 12S TB ESC’s that are SBEC are having heating issues. We’ve switched back to the 12S TB OPTO’s with the external UBEC’s like before.

If you still have an SBEC we might be able to exchange them for you. Just send us an email.

Thanks!

How can I tell if I have an SBEC or UBEC?

SBEC will have one wire. OPTO will have 2x 2pin wires.

Off subject and new to the site no don’t know how to pm but I can not go to your website. I am hit with popups every time I try. I bought stuff from you earlier this year but now I can’t get back to your website to buy more. Thanks.