Thermoforming a Kydex Battery Enclosure

@Chris604 Check this out!

Looks great. Do you think you could’ve formed the enclosure with just a hot air gun ? Probably would take a lot longer but it looked like you were getting some good results when you hit it with the hot air gun after taking the foam off.

It is probably possible, but the material likes to be heated slowly and evenly when possible. Also doing it with the heat gun was very time consuming compared to the part in the press. I got some different foam to try on the ESC box I will be making soon.

This looks like a great way to make an enclosure! where did you buy the kydex? I think I’m going to try this with a few changes.

I’ll make mine with one solid piece of kydex and I wanna put rubber or something between the kydex and the board to prevent water from getting in.

I got the Kydex from knifekits.com I plan on sealing it as well. Surprisingly even with a tight fit a lot of debris still gets in so a seal is needed.

Got it, does the kydex bend well with the board? My board is only a little bit flexible but it still flexes a bit.

It’s pretty stiff but forgiving if that means anything. Let me know how it turns out.

Just finished the majority of mine with the 1/8 inch really thick kydex it turned out pretty good :grinning:

I posted more about it here

5 Likes

Do you recommend the 0.080 thickness? Do you think it’s strong enough?

1 Like

That’s the thickness I got. It’s solid. I haven’t formed my enclosures yet, but I don’t see any reason it won’t be thick enough. hth

1 Like

Yes. Plenty strong and any thicker would be much harder to form.

1 Like

Do you experience any screws coming loose from the vibrations? Especially those thumb screws?

Do you think you could send me a link to the batteries you got? Thanks. well maybe thanks :wink:

How strong is kydex compared to abs plastic? is it as rigid?

I did lose one at the beginning. I put nylon washers under the thumbscrews and try to crank them as tight as possible by hand.

These are Zippy 20C 3S 5000mah. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-5000mah-3s1p-20c.html

Running 4 in series for 12S.

Kydex is VERY strong. I’ve had no problems with my enclosure.

Where to get Kydex sheets in europe?

eBay… 5 euros a sheet plus shipping

2 Likes

@monkey32 Shipping from uk or other country? Could u be kind enough to point out which seller it is exlusively?