The MiniNova | Landyachtz Top Speed 34" | Dual TB 5055 190KV | 6s6p battery | 2x VESC | Caliber II Trucks | w/ custom carbon fiber enclosure

@Jinra Thanks, I might give it a shot.

@ArmandR I dont see the 34" anymore. All i see is the 36": https://www.amazon.com/Landyachtz-Speed-Longboard-Skateboard-Deck/dp/B017X4S07A/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472516403&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=landyachtz+top+speed+34

@sl33py Thanks, i think it needs another layer epoxy to cover a lot of the imperfections I made before I give it a layer of clear coat.

6 Likes

I was debating on where i should drill holes in my enclosure to run the motor wires through. Then I came up with the simple idea of leaving small gaps in the weather stripping to sneak the wires in between the deck and enclosure. Looks pretty clean.

Any thoughts on whether or not I should buy sensor wires to hook up the sensors on these motors? I have no idea what the difference is between sensored and unsensored.

2 Likes

You will only gain more torque from a standstill thats all. IMO i dont need sensors because i can start from standstill without cogging (10S 213kv VESC bldc)

Three coats of epoxy later.

I still plan on color sanding it to get rid of any imperfections, and then adding a layer of clear coat for a nice finishing touch. But for the time being, this will suit just fine. Look at how shiny it is!

11 Likes

Drove to 3 different hobby stores looking for a canbus connector, and turned up empty handed. However, I was able to find a 10-pin 2mm plug in my box of junk wires. So i chopped them into 2-pin connectors with a razor blade. Looks like these will work just fine.

1 Like

Looks really good ! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Really nice build, especially for the first time. Looks quite professional. And nice use of the gasket for running the motor wires. I’m gonna do something like that on my upcoming build. And I actually like the blue, pink and carbon fiber look. Reminds me of a Subaru STi rally car.

3 Likes

Thanks man. Yea everything really came together nice. I wish I could say that the blue/pink color scheme was my idea, but honestly I just got lucky. I really liked Enertion’s motor mounts, and they only come in one color. And I got the pink wheels to match My Nike Air ax 90 Infrared. lol

2 Likes

Well after hours of soldering, I’m tired. But everything is finally ready to be connected. All I need to do now is learn how to setup up my vesc with BLDC tool. Any tips anybody may have for a first time VESC user is more than welcome. Would it be a bad idea to skip BLDC and go straight to FOC? Or should I start with BLDC since I’m a noob. They both seem pretty straight forward.

1 Like

So this happened today. Now I know why you guys use locktite lmao.

8 Likes

How the hell did you do that? Where did that bolt even come from? :confused:

1 Like

Motor pully screw?

@Mobutusan @Mark Yea, it was a motor mount screw. Two fell off. One ended up stuck in my belt lol.

1 Like

Finished!! (for now)

5 Likes

So after a few runs, here is my performance report:

These little 5055 190KV motors pack quite the punch. I couldn’t believe how much torque they put out. I was almost thrown from by board the first time i rode it. Do not under estimate the power of these tiny motors. I didn’t have any trouble climbing any hills. I took some really long steep hills on my run, and did not notice any heat problems at all. The motor barely even got warm. My only problem with these motors are that they are a little slow. About a solid 15 mph. But honestly, I was a little surprised how fast 15 mph felt, so that might be good enough. I was able to travel about 7 miles on my 5000mah lipos. Hopefully when I get my 6s6p battery, I can extend it to 21 miles.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my motors and 6s power. It would be nice to be able to reach 20mph, but I don’t really feel like using a 10s battery. Id rather use a larger capacity 6s battery so i can travel longer distances.

Although 6s6p would be cool, it’s not efficient compared to higher voltage systems. 10s will be more efficient, and therefore extend range as well. Just food for thought.

Not to mention faster

@anorak234 @t1m0007 So do you think a 10s3p battery would last longer than a 6s6p battery?

Since you have more voltage you draw less amps for the same power. Also you less energy lost trough heat