The Experiment | Kick Tail Deck | Custom Trucks | Dual Rear Tacon 160 | Custom Mount | 8S Laptop 18650 | VESC

I designed this one, but I take no credit for the idea. I think UNIK came up with the idea, not really sure on this. I’m pretty sure there are a few versions like mine on Thingiverse.

2 Likes

I don’t want to jinx myself but I think the trucks will done this weekend. I am almost done with everything else so the board should be ready to ride soon. I’m getting excited :grin:.

I ended up not using the boosted board style enclosures because of the small size. I originally planned on making an enclosure to house all the electronics as well as the battery but it would have been way to big. As I have brought up before the laptop cells are not best for this application and I will be replacing them in the future. When that day comes I will look into making a better, and smaller, enclosure that will hold the battery’s and electronics. For now I found the easiest way to attach the battery to the board was with straps. I 3D printed covers for the ends of the battery that hold the charging ports and also house the electronics. Its not the prettiest setup, lots of Gorilla tape, but it will do for now.

Half of the rear enclosure. Had to print in several pieces to fit on my printer.

Front battery cap has a DB9 connector for the balance connector and XT connecter on other side for charging. The 3D printed blocks have teeth that bite into the straps so I can get them really tight.

Rear enclosure before painting

Completed with Watt meter LCD screen installed and painted with truck bed liner.

2 Likes

Trucks are almost done just need to thread the set screw holes.

Now I need to make the motor mounts. I was part of the carbon motor mount group buy on here but it looks like I will not be receiving those mounts for a while. This means I will be making them myself. I already used to much of my friends time so I don’t even want to ask him to machine the mounts. I will need to cut them with basic tools which I am not looking forward to.

9 Likes

Buy a mount from @korryh (he has a solid reputation with mounts) and sell your mount from the group buy… I’d hate to see those gorgeous trucks ruined by an ugly piece of metal holding your motors

3 Likes

Thanks @anorak234 -

@jdyer8989 - let me know if you are interested and I will see if I can add to the order I put in last friday. Also, if interested can you measure the motor mounting holes, they should be 45mm in an X pattern

1 Like

Second @korryh - i’ve had a couple mounts from him now and top notch. Great quality and fast shipping.

GL!

(gorgeous hangars!!!)

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I am happy how the hangers turned out. I checked out Korryh’s mounts and they look really nice. I wish I went with these mounts from the beginning.

I need to save some money though so I will still be making, or trying to make the mounts by hand. I will see how the mounts turn out before pulling the trigger on another set. I might even break out my old harbor freight powder coating setup and powder coat the mounts to hide any ugliness. I’ll let you know how it turns out

2 Likes

I was wrong :pensive:. I though I could make a nice enough set of motor mounts but I guess not. I attempted to make them today and I am not happy with the results. They would probably work with a little more tweaking but I decided its not worth the time for a sub-par mount.

@korryh - Are your mounts still available? The tacon has 45mm mounting holes.

Does anyone know where else I can get any reasonable priced mounts without the long wait? I really need to stop spending money on this board but I just want it to be done.

1 Like

Great work so far [quote=“jdyer8989, post:48, topic:18085”] really need to stop spending money on this board but I just want it to be done. [/quote] We’ve all been there man lol the addiction is real! I built a pack from laptop batterys,just wasn’t enough umth for my liking,you will definitely uprgrade when money permits!

I may have 2 left- I’ll check my list and get back to you tomorrow

Thanks @korryh, let me know.

The addiction is real! I haven’t even rode an electric skateboard yet, but I already know I’m hooked. I am already planning the future battery upgrade. I’m thinking 12S5P Samsung 30Q cells. The only thing I will need to figure out is if I can reconnect the tacon’s to a wye setup, therefore lowering the KV from 245 to around 140. That way I don’ fry the VESC’s.

@WARMAN, I’m curious, what was your configuration with the laptop batteries? Did you run into any problems or did they just have bad performance?

It’s getting there,

4 Likes

I built a 10s8p out of samsung 30a laptop cells “30a is the model number not amp rating” Just wasn’t enough speed,range was ok but the pack was really heavy,couldn’t carry the board for long. I now have a 10s3p “space cell” and hit 30mph+ and get 15+ miles and can carry the board round town if needed. Don’t get me wrong a cheap laptop battery build is ok just nowhere near as good of performance as higher rated 18650 pack buy hey it gets you started and on the road. Here’s my thread…

@jdyer8989- I thought I had my list at home but it is at work so I’ll let you know how many mounts I have in the morning.

This is an amazing build! Everything from the purple dye, to the CF vinyl, and of course those custom trucks makes this a truly sick build. I’m curious about the LCD screen. It looks like you applied a vinyl decal to it. Is that so?

@jdyer8989 - I have 2 left coming in on Friday so I can ship out on Monday, I have you down for 2 63xx motor mounts. Ill contact you on friday or saturday for payment once I see everything is cut correctly.

@korryh, - Good to hear, I’ll defiantly take them. I will keep an eye out for your message so I can send you the payment as soon as possible.

@jess.t.moody - Thank you, its somehow is turning out better than I thought it would. The LCD screen is on of those cheap watt meter off ebay. I broke it down then removed the screen and replaced the 12AWG wires with 10AWG. The vinyl decal is actually the plastic from the watt meter. I made a small recess in the 3D printed enclosure for it to sit.

2 Likes

I ended up ditching the axle bolt idea and made some threaded axles out of shoulder bolts. I removed the heads of the bolts and cut some threads. I plan on freezing the axles and heating up the hangers slightly then quickly applying some loctite retaining compound to the axles and sending them into the hangers. Between the shoulder bolt threads, the tight fit, retaining compound and the two set screws per axle I can not see any way they will loosen up. The retaining compound is on the way and once received the board is pretty much done. Still need motor mounts though. Hopefully I can get mounts soon and finally ride!

3 Likes

Received the motor mounts and got to work. Thanks @korryh for the quick shipping. I did have a slight issues with the mounts being slightly larger than my trucks, seeing how the cast calibers have a large variance in the hanger dimensions. After I used a piece of heat shrink on the hanger the mount the mounts grabbed quite well.

I do have a few issues that I need to address. First, the belt seems to be riding off the wheel pulley so only half the belt is in contact with the pulley. It looks like the mounts are perfectly square with the hanger so I am unsure why they are running off. Secondly, for some reason when I shut off my remote while the board was still on the motors stated spinning, slowly and erratically. Its like the receiver is getting a signal/interference from something. this only happened a couple times and once the remote was turned back on it immediately stopped. Anyone have run into these issues before?

By the way, this thing is fast. This is the first electric skateboard I have rode so I have nothing to compare it to, but I was very surprised with how much torque it has. I almost had the board come out from under me a couple times. This is even with the vescs set at 15A BAT MAX each. I might try raising the current slightly but 30A is already close to 2C on the pack so I need to be careful.

Belt Alignment

Usb port for vesc programming

4 Likes

Congrats! About the receiver did you set the failsafe button on the receiver? If you change the end points in the PPM tab in BLDC tool you need to re-set the fail safe.

Also what size are the motors?