Switches...Why they so EXPENSIVE?!

Thanks. Wanted a solution incase this switch dies eventually

without surge suppression it will die. How quickly will depend on your voltage.

Higher voltage = bigger spark.
Bigger spark = shorter life.

If youā€™ve ever plugged in a 12s battery w/o ant-spark loop key or similar - they make a pretty significant ā€œpop!ā€ each time.

the simple XT-90s loop key is the easiest and cheapest way to avoid this. Or buy one of the kits or fully made from vendors here.

running full amps through automotive or even home electrical relays/switches/toggles seems like a recipe for loss of continuity/connection while out on a ride and walking.

my .02

2 Likes

I found a switch that is pretty cheap, here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DRVM3DU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AFILHMJZCK2VV

@ZachNYC The switch is only for up to 12v

Never once have I heard the spark pop using this switch. Has anyone opened one to confirm this? Iā€™d like to see pics of the insideā€¦42v

I didnā€™t read the full post, sorry, I just read it and see why it wouldnā€™t work for you.

you have one right? crack it open, take pics and share.

Interestingly it says ā€œsurge suppressionā€ so wonder if it has an early contact resistor before fully connecting?

crack it open - take pics and letā€™s take a look!

if it has some sort of surge suppression in it - iā€™d use it for 12-24v as designed! Dimensions kinda suck at 100mm long and 40mm tall, but might work taken apart to more easily fitā€¦

Good idea. I have one that is failing. Iā€™ll see if I can open it tonight if I remember.

2 Likes

I purchase another one for 5 bucks. CHEAP drop in replacement insurance so I donā€™t have down time waiting for that part

I think this is an agree to disagree or Tomato Tomahto discussion.

Thatā€™s exactly my point - even if itā€™s simple to swap - i donā€™t want to be riding and have it fail - leaving me to walk. And now with two of them at $5-6 ea - iā€™d rather roll that $10 into a better switch, or build an anti-spark loop key. Carrying a spare non anti-spark xt90 is easy insurance to carry when riding (no walking if fails), and if i get an electronic AS switch, iā€™d have a small length of wire to replace/bypass to ride (with a spark when connecting). That might also work well for you and @johnny_261 - as insurance if it fails.

@johnny_261 - what setup are you using it with? (voltage, single/dual, etc.) and what symptoms that itā€™s failing?

Still curious if you can take it apart to make it smaller and easier to install. I want to keep components high and tight against board, so 40mm sticking down is less ideal. Shooting for 25-30mm height, so maybe disassembled itā€™ll work better?

2 Likes

Iā€™m using it with a single 6s setup. On my last ride before replacing it, the switch wouldnā€™t close the circuit at first and power was flickering. Even when flickering, there wasnā€™t any pops, so it may seem there is some sort of resister in there.

After playing with the switch for a while, I did get a complete circuit and was able to get home, but after that I replaced it with the bigger one.

I was just installing a 20 amp single throw toggle for my lights, as I had an extra I installed one on the ESC switch as well. Now I can leave my breaker closed unless Iā€™m putting it for the night.

I think these automotive switches work quite okay! I actually use one which is designed for AC / mains plug, and itā€™s rating is 20A at 115v.

Though, Im using 6s - so I assume as someone already told here, that for lower voltages it is more ā€˜ā€˜easyā€™ā€™ to use these kinds of switches.

Yeah, Im using one on 6s as well. I wouldnt use one on a 10s or 12s system, but for 6s I think its fine.

2 Likes

Took it apart. Nothing exciting to report

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

I am inspired, A sweet cheap setup might look like a cheap circuit breaker with a resistor setup like mcgyver dad. Small switch with resistor charges the caps and then switch on the circuit breaker to flow all the high current. No spark. I need to find a high voltage, low current switch.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great idea.

Something like this might work too. Retail is only 17 bucks. IDK what the voltage rating is on that push button switch but the panel mount on that ā€œloop keyā€ looks super clean.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/MPI-No-Spark-High-Current-Arming-Switch-with-12-gauge-wire_p_1551.html

1 Like