Switches...Why they so EXPENSIVE?!

The breaker will spark internally, just like when you connect/disconnect the batteries directly. But they are cheap and easy to replace when they wear out.

They arenā€™tā€¦ go to your local auto parts store. Iā€™ve gotten switches that look almost exactly like the one you linked, that light up, for $5.

They felt overpriced to me too

So I went out and research different designs, selected new components, and generated a BOM at Mouserā€¦ Only then do you realize that the components alone cost $10-20 per board depending on current rating. The circuit is simple enough that you can make it on blank circuit board, but if you want a PCB thatā€™s another $10-15. Want a nice SPDT switch? Okay thats another $8. Now factor in the time that takes to solder and test everything. I was going to make one myself because of the priceā€¦ but in the end it is just not worth it

TLDR; I designed and specā€™d out an awesome switch. And still bought a commercially-made one

1 Like

If you have an anti spark connector and an automotive style circuit breaker switch would that prevent the spark?

Thatā€™s what I have in my setup. Just wondering if itā€™s easier on the switch. This is how Iā€™ve wired it.

1 Like

Having the XT90s doesnā€™t change anything from having just a normal connector when youā€™re using a breaker. The spark gets generated on the last thing to get connected, in this case the breaker.

1 Like

Short answer: It will prevent it from sparks yes.

No it wonā€™t. There will be a spark generated inside the breaker every time he turns it on.

Oh wait sorry i thought the breaker was inbetween the ESC and the xt90 connector. If it was there(esc and xt90) it would prevent

Should I have put the breaker on the other side of the XT90? Would it make a difference?

You should not use this, but I do: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-20-Amp-Single-Pole-Toggle-Switch-GSW-11/100030219

I use one of them. Works like a treat

1 Like

I know thereā€™s not much room on these boards but you could use that 5 amp switch to kick on a 60 to 80a relay. Like how cars high amperage circuits run. Not sure how cost effective it would be

Still the sameā€¦ please donā€™t misinform people. Anywhere you put a breaker, with our without xt90s, if its the last thing you switch on it will generate a spark inside its casing between the contacts. The ONLY way to prevent a spark from occurring is either plugin the XT90s last, using an AntiSpark MOSFET switch, or make your own antispark with a momentary switch and a resistor.

Relays also spark.

Can you answer my PM please?

Use this. WORKS great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141819688530?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ok, Im done.

5 Likes

I tried this one, but found it didnā€™t last long. The bigger version of these that are found on ebay seem to be more robust.

This one is pretty big. DO you have a link to the bigger one? SO far this one works fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162119251810?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=461081390225&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When you flick the switch on this one it feels a lot beefier. This is what I believe @lowGuido uses on a 6s build. Apparently he has been using for a while without problems.