Simple 3D-printed NRF remote - Arduino controlled

Im reimplementing an nrf52 version of this, using bluetooth instead of RF as RF on the nrf52 is quite hard to implement and not supported in the libraries.

I donā€™t mind having to write some extra code. I know the bluefruit library can handle UART communication through BLE so it should be ok.

Can you share what you have if you manage to make it work ?

All the libs are different as the processor is in the nrf52 module. I had to rewrte all the ui code and im designing a much simpler version of the code for my use, no fancy stuff, just pwm and nothing else.

Can see in the first pic itā€™s a 400mAh battery heā€™s using. I have my own DIY variant arduino 8Mhz/nrf24l01 based uses around 20mA typically from what Iā€™ve seen (using 800mAh in mineā€¦ it has more free space). Have left it on over night and still had charge when I realized I had left it on. Regarding ā€˜bluefruitā€™ or any other development board it should be fine the only thing going on here that is ā€˜computationally expensiveā€™ is running the display (other work is read the position of knob or hall sensor and pass along info to wireless radio to handle sending it out)

By the way, why is the hall sensor for? What does it do? Why is it needed?

It acts as contactless potentiometer

can you elaborate on that? what is the role?

A hall sensor tells you essentially how close a magnet is if you put a magnet in the wheel or on whatever part is moving towards/away from the hall sensor you can read that value (much like reading the value of a potentiometer turning). It is the ā€˜inputā€™ that the MCU will read for position of the trigger/wheel.

There are some hall sensors that have a ā€œschmitt triggerā€ so they only signal when a magnet passes some threshold (good for things like a door that might bounce up and down as it closes so you only want to call it ā€˜closedā€™ when one threshold is met and only want to call it ā€˜openā€™ when another is met but want it to ignore any bouncing while closing). What youā€™d want in this case is a linear hall effect sensor so you can see the variable output based on the variable distance of the magnet instead of just a full on or full off type of signal.

1 Like

Thanks for these precisions, so the hall sensor is for the input (acceleration/decelaration) ?

yup ultimately that signal gets read by something in the controller (MCU of some sort) and passed along to the transmitter circuitry/chips which broadcasts over an antenna then the receiver on the board connected to the ESC gets that signal and passes it along to the ESC which ultimately controls the throttle.

Can we pin the actual schematic for this build somewhere at the top, I literally cant find it.

Come on, thereā€™s only >1000 messagesā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I know it exists because I have seen the one legit schematic but I cant remember what post it was UGHHH

1 Like

its all in the first post no need to dig https://github.com/SolidGeek/nRF24-Esk8-Remote/wiki/2.-Electronics

just ignore the status led part, rest is correct.

Thanks @Zyb

1 Like

I know there has been mention of this working with vesc 6, but I wanted to clarify if that meant this will work with the nrf chip built on the vesc 6, or if it will still need a separate receiver?

It needs a separate receiver. If it used the NRF receiver on the VESC youā€™d have to upload a custom firmware, and I donā€™t know of any hardware that is able to make use of the built in NRF receiver.

thatā€™s a shame, whatā€™s the nrf even used for then? thereā€™s an nrf tab in the vesc tool.

I think currently nothing. I might be wrong but as far as Iā€™m aware itā€™s just there for potential future uses but currently does nothing.

1 Like

Iā€™ve stitched the two pics together some where up there. But here it is:

But people has started to put on a small cap somewhere havent really been looking into that part yet. But someone would probably be able to help you with that.

1 Like