Ride Time. how long can you ride?

i dont have a gps track of this but on my previous board (before i started my new build) it was dual drive, 6s, 16amphour, 270kv motors and i weighed about 200 pounds. It got a max range of like 20 miles - ish.

1 Like

:unamused:how long? what time?

okay this was in downtown Chicago so you cant really hit over 20 or you’ll hit a crack and bust your butt. so it was around 1 hour and a half of constant use. maybe 2 hours. I’m under estimating rather than over estimating for ride time and distance.

My new board is 20 amphour 6s dual drive sensored. Im expecting close to a 30 mile range. maybe 2-3 hour ride time

1 Like

i just read the last post. Theyre Lipo multistar for the new board. Zippy for the old one

if its not too much to ask id love to know some more definitive run times.

will do once the weather clears up

I use a single enertion 6355 motor, and I get about 55 minutes ride time. Only about 5% of the way is uphill. I use 2x 5000 mah 6s batteries which I have connected in parallel for 10000 mah.

Also I live in Copenhagen, Denmark, most of our roads are really smooth. I weigh 70 kg (154 lbs)

Seeing you guys’ ride times, shouldn’t I get a bit more? I do ride with 100% throttle (around 17 mph) though most of that time, maybe it has to do with that?

that sounds about normal because youre only using 10 amp hours.

Wether you’re connecting in series or parallel for 2x 5000mah it reach the same amount of distance. I also have around 1 hour ride time for 2x 5000mah in series.

thats not correct, if you connect in parallel it will increase the distance, if you connect in series it will not increase the distance, but it will increase the power.

I would expect 10000mAh to go for longer than 1 hour, unless its up hills.

Yes I understand. Practically one increase in speed and one increase in distance. However in overall no matter how you connect them, you end up in same distance travel. Those batteries contains certain level of energy, it doesn’t matter the way you use them, it will only contain that much (kwh / energy rated) and doesn’t increase by doing different way of connection.

Theoretically: 2 lipo parallel at speed of 10km/h reach 10km distance in 1 hour 2 lipo series at speed of 20km/h reach 10km distance in 30 min Same distance right? only different in time.

Maybe to get it running for around 3 - 4 hours I should connect 4 of my lipo packs all in parallel, then someone gona try 2s configuration for 8 hours ride time hahaha.

thats nice, but if you have been paying attention to the data being given in this thread you will see that whats in theory verses what people are actually getting in real life are surprisingly different. and no one ever said anything about 2S. that’s just silly.

Totally. Some build have different:

• Battery capacity 5000mah / 10000mah / 20000mah
  • Longer / shorter cables (cable length has higher resistance)
  • Higher density cells / lipo packs (nano tech / graphene / flightmax)
  • Battery resistance / C rating / efficiency (higher discharge = less resistance = less heat = more distance)
  • More connectors / loose joints / electric switch / breaker (known to consume abit of charge)
  • Different receiver / use of BEC for opto ESC
  • None / smaller / additional capacitor (higher rated capacitor known to improve efficiency)
  • Use of other ESC besides VESC, some ESC use mini fans that draws quite some energy
  • Quality of bearings and or wheels size and or wheel durometer
  • Quality of wheels (fake vs original)
  • Throttle input / motor rpm (some motor runs more efficient in certain rpm for certain amount of load)
  • Regenerative braking

Other factors:

• Weight of rider
  • Track smoothness
  • Total board weight
  • Degree of incline
  • Temperature (not so significant, but might effect battery capability)

Actually this put me in concern about VESC vs normal ESC efficiency (without fan). As VESC use big fat MOSFET while normal ESC spam many small FET. Theoretically this big MOSFET should be more efficient.

Also no one seems to put wheel durometer in consideration. I wonder if I should get 76A / 83A if I want to get longer distance. 76A is softer and it should roll better on rough surface compared to 83A as more bumps create more resistance. But smoother surface 83A would win over roll distance as it remains round almost all the time, in which concerns me back on how rough and how smooth wether to go for 76A / 83A.

1 Like

You are right, These are all factors. but please try not to drag the tread off course. all we are interested in this thread are Batteries and Ride Time.

Whether in parallell or series they produce the same watt hours so theoretically similar distance

Theoretically

Dual enertion 190Kv motors with Enertion space cell. Rider 60Kg. About 1.45mins 20km or 12.5 miles on mostlly flat track and mix of throttle speed.

Update: 1.30 min 20km/12.5 miles. With about 10% left on battery. Got to love regenative braking.

Battery 6s 24000Mah (24AH Multistar 10c) Time: 1 Hour 40 mins

@rogerd i understand that there are at least 100 different variables for each build/rider/area but this is a simple set of battery and time figures.

Oddly enough if you look at all the data. Regardless of all the other variables it all seems to plot quite nicely.

That’s the point I guess.

1 Like

It’s your data, but just pointing it out. I’d hazard that someone at 60 kg would get at least 20% more ride time than someone 90kg so if there are big weight differences in your samples then the resulting data is fairly meaningless.

1 Like