Revisit Bad Motor Mount Designs

The bearing I use is over 18mm ID. You just cut the corners off most trucks. Used a slightly smaller diameter on my V1 design.

1 Like

I find this very interesting because it seems to me that many of the mount designs could easily be better, but also I donā€™t have experience with any of them so I donā€™t know if a real problem actually exists. It would be interesting to see what simple design changes could be made to make mounts stronger and also lighter.

Unfortunately this thread is full of opinions and lacking in any real science or engineering proof.

If you want to prove that mounts are weak or flawed then drawing vague circles on other peopleā€™s pictures is not the way to do that. It would take very little time to remake some of these mounts in a cad program and run some stress simulations on them. This would both help you verify if your assumptions are correct and also help you illustrate this point to others.

Likewise if you sell mounts that you think are strong enough you probably already have them in cad. Show us some stress tests and letā€™s get a better idea of what design features make mounts strong and maybe also which places we could save material and weight.

Lacking science and proof? Seems like people these days value computer simulations that are just estimations of the real world over actual real world results. I donā€™t know what could be more scientific then repeatedly testing and breaking many diff designs of most of the commercial mounts on the market in the same pattern. Due to the same design flaws. You seem to be forgetting that I didnā€™t just circle things I thought were bad about other peopleā€™s mounts. I also broke many different mounts in those exact areas during use and so did many other veteran builders here that agree. Also donā€™t forget that I did not say those mounts are guaranteed to fail or that I have broken those new mounts that are being built by people currently. I simply explained my past experiences and experiments and gave constructive advice on how to improve their designs for more structural strength. Thatā€™s all. They may very well be good mounts. But with my improvements they will be indestructible. If anyone is in doubt of my real world facts they can go do estimated cad simulation to ease thier mind in thier own. Iā€™m not obligated to do that.

2 Likes

so who has good mounts for sale in europe?

2 Likes

What motor motor plate is that?

Psycotiller

I donā€™t make them anymore. Iā€™m not sure why this picture is being plastered all over this forum and facebook right nowā€¦

2 Likes

No clue either

2 Likes

Evolve marketting maybe attacking you :joy:

2 Likes

It looks like it slid around a ton on the motor clamp

1 Like

It looks like a seriously old version. It broke. I replaced it with 4. Should be good for another few years if installed using M4 flat washers and loctite.

4 Likes

I hate this thread so much - there is nothing but blaming people without leading to anything constructive :frowning:

9 Likes

I was thinking exactly the same. It was funny before but title should be changed I feel like. Bad motor mounts, really?

2 Likes

title should be ā€œno help allowed,pics of broke mounts onlyā€ lol

I made the post about the problem and gave the solution in my post. Whatā€™s not constructive about my clear pictures and advice on how to prevent those problems by designing ur holes in the right places that maintain structural stability. And not to make too many holes either. Itā€™s that simple. If u take anything out of this thread it should be that.

is there any mounts you would recommend or is every mount on the market wrong?

knew i wasnā€™t the only one that wanted to add an idler to you mounts!

1 Like

think be hard add an idler to diyelectrics mount?

@stormboard1 said what I am thinking.