Raptor riding experience. The good

12s or lower reduction would make it go faster

I figured 12s might be needed, but by reduction are you talking about the gearing? like less torque more top speed?

45kmh sounds really fast but if you are on a straight good and empty road it looses a lot of its scare factor but you are probably right about protection i was thinking about some downhill gear like debny posted in post 56 and i think i will get a tsg pass. bigger battery like 12 s would also make it faster but i would say it might be a bit easier just to use another gearing ratio even though with a higher gearing you loos torque but to be honest i would say that would not be a big problem with the raptor. lets see what i say about speed after my next attempt to kiss the asphalt :grin:

i also do not know how well enertion vesc take 12 s i think chaka replaces some of the listed parts with parts which are a bit more heavy duty

LOL yeah thatā€™s what I figureā€¦I have a lot of stop and go in some of my commutes, I think honestly I could take a small hit in torque for higher top speed since I will not need all that power 24/7. I donā€™t know anything about gear ratios but how drastic would slightly altering it be? Could it 1/2/3km/h faster by reducing the gearing the slightest amount possible?

I donā€™t think I would try 12s, not looking to go anywhere near 60km/h like @Photorph :stuck_out_tongue: Just thinking about slight increases to hit about 49-50km/h (this is already the theoretical max speed according to @onloop but it gets 45km/h IRL)

Only change you need to hit 49km/h is get a 16T pulley. Torque boards has one.

if i am right the gearing is 15/36 and a top speed of 45 so in theory if you would use 18/36 you would have a 20% top speed increase which would make 54 kmh or 20/36 which would theoretically go 60kmh but i do not know where the power limit of this motors is where they cant pust the board any faster. would be interessting to know if the torque loss is linear

how fast the motor can spin doesnā€™t matter, if you translate the rotational energy of the motor into the wheel, the board will go faster at the same motor rpm

@Jinra do you know if TBā€™s pulley would actually fit? this is the one right: product/16t-htd5-motor-pulley/

@HH1 this is a software change in contrast to modifying the pulley right?

It would fit, the only concern is the enertion motor uses circlips. You might have to drill a small notch in the shaft to accommodate a grub screw, or you can drill a keyway for the shaft.

Ahhhh, think Iā€™ll hold off on that as Iā€™m not comfortable modifying the hardwareā€¦ Is the only solution a hardware one or is there anything I could do to the VESC to achieve a similar result?

what i suggested was a hardware change of changing the pulleys you could also use bigger wheels as i would be like changing the gearing ratios

@Jinra yes i understand what you are saying but what i meant was i do not know where the top speed of the board is due to wind resistance and the resistance of the wheels

Do you know of a guide or someone with pictures of what Iā€™d be trying to achieve?

Iā€™d like to keep the wheels the same, the ride seems high as it is, unless I got rid of the risers I guess

Check out white ponyā€™s post at the bottom. He used a drilling mill to make a small notch into the shaft.

Judging by this picture it seems like the enertion motor has a small keyway, so that may fit with DIYā€™s pulley, but I donā€™t have an r-spec to test with, perhaps you can ask @Photorph or other raptor owners.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-yp39j5/zad02/products/110/images/749/190kv_electric_skateboard_motor_high_performance_r_spec_2__02889.1440038099.1000.1000.jpg?c=2

@Tarzan took out a riser and the ride is so much nicer it feels so much more controllable with one riser less

1 Like

and you need to get shorter screws if you take one riser out because the screws do not have enough threads

Iā€™m questioning whether or not itā€™s worth all the effortā€¦I think Iā€™ll wait a while before determining if 28mph is too slow for me but I think itā€™ll be fine. 8mph boost is pretty big, Iā€™ll rarely be able to hit top speed except for a few commutes with long stretchesā€¦the torque will probably be more fun in the end without killing me lol flying up hills is fun too :slight_smile:

I think Iā€™ll just be replacing the stock risers with shock risers and call it a day for mods lol maybe some different wheels in softer duro

@Jinra you are right, there is a small keyway and it is very easy to replace the pulley on the R-spec. Just need a 2mm allen wrench and youā€™re good to go.

@Mr_Mahal Itā€™s not worth the effort to get more top speed, 27ish mph is pretty fast. Compared to boosted it will be like a whole new sensation. And any input you make is amplified, much more chances of getting speed wobbles at those high speeds also if youā€™re not used to going that fast. That being said, it would be really simple to change the pulley. I can take a picture and show you. Just a matter of taking belt off, unscrewing one screw with a 2mm wrench, putting a new pulley that has that same size hole to put the screw in and youā€™re good to go. The only thing I donā€™t know is if only enertion pulleys are made that way. You will likely need DIY pulleys. Anyway this motors are beasts, combined with the chaka vescā€¦ love it!!!

1 Like

Nice, yeah I have a feeling it will be enough. I want to use this thing on bike paths too so having that limit is probably best, Iā€™ll be going faster if not as fast as most pro-like cyclists would be :stuck_out_tongue: just ordered what was probably the last 97mm abec fly wheel in the US for the GT too :open_mouth:

1 Like