Raptor riding experience. The good

Located in SoCal. Looking forward to it. Thanks again.

Ok people need chill and be patient. I just got my raptor back and I donā€™t know what Damon did but the thing is rocking the streets. Not a single problem. Iā€™m a advanced rider and canā€™t ask for much more. Iā€™m riding in town and people are freaking out on me. There used to seeing long boarders going down hill as fast as I go up hill. I am truly happy. Thank you longhairedboy and Jason for less beast of a board

1 Like

So glad your rocking the Raptor. Since getting mine back my board is totally different. Taking it out any time I can and virtually every day. Even now during my lunch break and taking it down the river bike paths here near the city.

Iā€™m getting chased down by car and guys on bikes trying to catch up to me to find out what it is.

1 Like

Hey Dedbny, how often do you hit top speed? Do you feel confident in the breaking at top speed or do you split it half and half with foot breaking? Thanks

Roads and paths arent great where I am. I feel more comfortable at full speed when I know section isnā€™t likely to have large obstructions or potholes. Its going to hurt if you hit sonething at speed.

I hope not to have to brake suddenly at speed. I usually brake in advance as to where I think I need to. So only throttle braking and doing the lean back just before stopping to avoid flying forward.

Do you ride with a full face often? I have one but my d+ feels way too slow to warrant it. I do have a lot of hills in my commutes though, so I wear it more often if itā€™s not too hot out.

Iā€™m just thinking of situations where a car pulls out in front of you unexpectedly and you need to break. Or youā€™re behind one and they break suddenly. Breaking on a d+ isnā€™t that great but it is predictable. Just trying to get a feel for how aggressive it would be in comparison. Iā€™d imagine if more torque = harder breaking the raptor would probably send me flying if Iā€™m not prepped lol

Iā€™m 53 years old and been riding all my life.love this freedom and speed of this raptor. I say everyone needs one.

3 Likes

Cars are not a Raptors friend. For that matter anyone on a skateboard at speed like a cyclIst has no hope. My raptor use to have aggresive braking. Fine for more sudden stopping, but still no chance you being able to stop suddenly. Dont know what you are trying to ask, Your going to come off.

1 Like

I dont feel so old now. @glenn your a champ. Enjoy that Raptor.

I ride in traffic sometimes, I keep a consistent speed and enough distance to break in anticipation of cars slowing down. I guess what Iā€™m asking is when coming to a fast stop, what is the (relative) breaking distance coming from top speed (or the fastest youā€™ve used the breaks on).

I know with my board now I have on max power it can take a good while to stop, basically turns into a slide / run off if I donā€™t have enough time.

Without actaully measuring braking distance. The braking distance will be more than you can stay on the board during braking. The board may stop in say 5-10m whatever, but the problem is thers nothing holding you back from that momentum you are travelling at. Hope that makes sense. You just have to be prepared for any obstacles Full safety gear required at those speeds.

I can probably answer that for you. Owning a D+ Myself and having ridden a couple of Raptors including Dedbnyā€™s I can more or less compare braking performance between the two. The D+ is almost perfect for braking in my opinion, and a properly calibrated Raptor is comparable. You can adjust the Raptor to stop a little quicker again than the D+ but youā€™re pretty limited by the laws of physics and the available grip you have. Also if you make the brakes too powerful or touchy it can tend to throw you off if your not fully prepared. I donā€™t think youā€™re ever going to stop as well as a bike. You have to be more cautious and prepared instead. Just my 2c.

Thanks for the back up reply. Skateboarding around cars is jusf dangerous. You really need to adjust speed to surroundings. If its clear go full throttle if the road ahead is good, otherwise slow to a safer speed.

Makes sense, didnā€™t really think about how the board stopping faster doesnā€™t quite matter if you canā€™t stop yourself from flying off.

Thanks for the reply. I wasnā€™t planning on depending on the breaks entirely, just mainly to assist with getting to a lower speed to hop off. Iā€™ll definitely try to avoid putting myself in danger, shit just happens sometimes as you can imagine.

Btw how is the grip tape on the raptor? Due to the design I donā€™t see how you could swap it at all or is there a special process? Kind of concerned if it isnā€™t as coarse and grippy as Vicious grip tape. I already put that on my d+ and Iā€™m only going 20.

1 Like

The tape works fine. Grippy enough for me. You can take it off, but will need to allow for cut out for screw holes. Wont look as neat either.

@Dedbny do you really wear motorcycle racing body armor? Can you specify everything you wear? Iā€™m looking for better gloves, but itā€™s hard to find gloves that will let you operate a remote as well.

That protective gear was for @Mr_Mahal :blush:

I just wear normal skate safety gear. knee, elbow, wrist and helmet. Wrist protectors good. Theres a velcro strap that I tether the remote to. Does sort of get in the way with he wrist protector, but controller functions fine. ill try and take a pic one day. Im wearing it in my vid.

I just wear a full face when I feel like swerving between traffic :slight_smile: I wear sliding gloves without the puck but will likely keep the left one on once I get the raptor. Currently waiting for some Dainese Trail Skin elbow pads to arrive. If theyā€™re good Iā€™ll get the knee pads as they are highly recommend amongst mountain bikers. Soā€¦Iā€™ll be prepped for the power : p