Project Greenmachine | Kahalani Board | Caliber II's | Dual R-Spec | Dual VESC | S.P.A.C.E Cell

Working on version two of the enclosure atm. Cracked open the space cell to move the chargeport, powerbutton and display to another spot. Need to get some extra wire to extend the charging leads. Will propably get a water resistant powerswitch as well. Not sure if the original is. And propably another chargeport as well.

@onloop I’m sorry man, but it had to be done!

Noticed that the cable to the charging port had a cut in it, some shrinktube fixed it easy though.

Quick draft of the layout. Button, charge port and display will end up on the short side facing backward to keep the bottom of the case clean.

2 Likes

So, finally finished it, again. Except it’s now better!

As i said before, there would be more ducttape :wink:

No need to make holes in the lid anymore, woo!

Looks shinier in real life.

2 Likes

First shakedown run ended with three things to fix: -Loose screw on one motor mount. -Loose set screw on one motor pulley. -One loose ESC, no big deal, pretty cramped in the box so it couldn’t move around even if it wanted to.

And another thing I found out when I tried to charge it was that I soldered the negative charge lead to the wrong pin on the plug, oops.

I’m thinking I need to buy a new bottle of thread locker… The one I have is going on 10 years now.

Waterproofing electronics, oh yea!

2 Likes

After you applied the corrosion x, did you wipe the excess of it or you just leave it? I have the corrosion x HD and will try to waterproof it when I have free time.

I let it drip dry over night, then just dabbed it with a paper towel to get the leftover blobs off.

And it’s been drying all day today as well, was still semi wet in the morning, I’ll give you an update when I get home.

1 Like

So, after about 24 hours it’s still hasn’t dried completely, but no matter.

Went for a run to get some food, and that damn motor mount shook loose, again! Guess I’ll have to clean it out more thoroughly this time. And use new threadlocker…

Got tired of having to carry it in my hands, so I made this:

2 Likes

With a bit of cleaning the threads with acetone and breaking open a fresh tube of threadlocker the cursed motor mount held up the test run, woop.

Now to see if there’s any other bolts I need to clean up and relock, hope not.

So after a run of about 9km (5.5 miles) everything held up nicely, finally! Only thing is that there seems to be a problem with one of the motors, but that’s for another thread. And i’m gonna switch out the nunchuck to my modded rc controller, since i’m riding rightfoot forward and holding the controller in my right hand the signal drops as soon as i put my body between it and the reciever.

Apart from that, maaan, this thing is awesome!

Love your enclosure! Very clean build man…I want to do something similar, that would fit a 12s pack @ 18.25 x 6 x 1, plus two VESC’s. Trying to get an idea of how big it needs to be, and figure out what deck I will need to buy in turn. Would a pack that size still fit this enclosure with the two vesc’s?

My enclosure is a pretty tight fit as is with the components I have. To fit your planned battery it needs to be around 2.5" longer. If you plan to use the same layout inside it needs to be around 25" long minimum. And the distance between the trucks would need to be around 34" with a traditional belt drive. Maybe a couple inches shorter if you forego the hinge mechanism in the front.

1 Like

Great, thanks for the info! I will be using dual hub motors so I should have a little less space taken up by those, though I don’t know exactly how much. Just looking for a rough idea so I can buy the proper deck once Psychotiller comes up with an enclosure for me.

Hub motors will probably save you around 3-4 inches on your deck.

Nice, so I would be coming close to about the same size enclosure. What’s the wheelbase on that deck?

Yep, only marginally longer case. My board has a 30" wheelbase.

Awesome, that will help influence my decision on the deck. I will definitely need to go a bit longer so I’ll probably have to get a super stiff downhill deck. Have you tested how waterproof your enclosure is by chance?

Not yet, but I’ve sealed it as good as I can, so until I can test it I’d say it’s puddle proof at least. And I’ve waterproofed the electronics with CorrosionX, so even if it takes in some water it shouldn’t really matter. Hopefully.

Nice. I will have to pick up some of that for my connections as well.

You should if you plan to run it in wet conditions. Did a lot of reading up on that stuff, a lot of people use it for their electronics in RC sea planes, with it they can literally drive their planes underwater, even saltwater.

1 Like