Project Greenmachine | Kahalani Board | Caliber II's | Dual R-Spec | Dual VESC | S.P.A.C.E Cell

heck ya! I love the super clean look- just a simple box done right. The contrast between the black and aluminum is really neat too!

Nice box! Is there a special type of hinge you used? I was gonna use hinges and then I just went for a couple more screws instead.

The plan was to paint it metallic green, but that was before the alu sides, now i’m not so sure… Might keep the alu look and just put a coat of black on the plastic part, as it is now it’s not the prettiest when looking at it close up.

Nothing special, just some basic hinges from the hardwarestore, did have to cut one side of them in half and drill a few new holes in them, but otherwise just your standard cheap-o hinges.

Nice, have you tested the specs for this board?

Not yet, had a wireless nunchuck that was incompatible, so waiting for a nyko to arrive in the mail, should come any day now. Though it’s getting too late in the season, temps just hit freezing outside.

1 Like

ohhhh man I’m so excited to see how this turns out. I’m really on edge about Hub motors vs External

Hell yeah! I love the hinge idea. I’ve been mentally working out a sort of slide-lock type thing you see in battery compartments on toys where its just one screw holding the whole thing in. I have absolutely no idea how i will do it. I’m glad to see some more innovation in the box department.

Hmm, why didn’t I think of that? That might have actually been easier :stuck_out_tongue: Still, the hinge is working really well, working on the locking screws on the other side atm, waiting for some epoxy to harden. Two screws to hold the lid closed isn’t so bad after all.

So i made the final fabrications today, now it’s only some minor fixes left. And waiting for the new transmitter which should have been here last week…

Did a flextest once i had it mounted, had to put quite a lot of weight into the jumps to make the board hit the enclosure so it should be fine.

Had to make brackets from scratch to hold the nuts in place on the inside and some epoxy to keep them from moving when screwing in the bolts.

Will try to seal the opening where the motor wires enters the case somehow.

3 Likes

looks good. did you try standing and bouncing on the board yet? looks like that board will flex a lot

Did bounce on it, it does flex a bit, but there is enough clearance between the board and the box, will use slightly longer spacers just in case. Got enough grund clearance to sacrifice a few more mm me thinks

1 Like

Small update, did some final touches on the enclosure, drilled holes for the charging port, power switch and battery indicator. Added a rubber seal over the hole for the powerbutton. Still need to find a good way to seal up the charging port, might make a plug out of oogoo. And the last thing to add is a transparent sheet over the battery indicator.

Oh, and cover up the holes left over from when i cut off like half of the transmitter. Did i mention i bought a 2.4ghz transmitter? :stuck_out_tongue: Not quite as slim as the gt2b, but good enough.

Holes! With plugs and stuff!

Not quite the controller it used to be. Gotta let the glue dry, then sand off the sharp edges.

And with that the board can be considered complete and ready for it’s shakedown run outside.

2 Likes

thats a pretty cool case mod. got any before photos?

Can put up some more when i’ve sanded down the edges and fixed the powebutton, as it is now it’s not exactly the best solution.

Did integrate a rechargeble battery with charging circuit into the case too, no idea what the batterylife ends up at.

Controller is all done, changed the power button from a push-button to a slide switch.

Managed to make the edges pretty smooth with some plastic putty andsandpaper. Covered it all up with a coat of matte black paint.

The pcb holding all the knobs on the top was really wide, so decided to just keep most of the case intact.

Never took a before photo, but found one on the store i bought it from:

4 Likes

looks better man. nice job

2 Likes

Funny story, I just got a note from the postal service today saying i had a package to collect that arrived on December 15, so now i have a nyko kama as well as the modded 2.4GHz controller. GG Well played Postnord…

Did a quick benchtest and it works without a hitch. Now to wait for the damn snow to go away so i can do some real testing…

@Iceni the Nunchuck w VESC is my favorite controller setup so far; keep a close eye on it at first for dropouts and make sure the wiring and signal are solid before you take it up to max speed.

Will make the wiring bulletproof and keep an eye out when the time comes.

Until then i might make some minor cosmetic changes to the enclosure just to keep me ocupied. Gonna switch out the black plastic sheets on the lid to a single one, it bugs me that they’re not completely in line :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes