Programmer w/ understanding of VESC PC-side software language?

But we haven’t seen in the video that you accelerated full throttle from a stand still. Thought thats what the whole topic is about. Good would be also to use a data logger. You could use @evoheyax app or mine. Would be nice videos.

Oh and a helmet isn’t bad especially for test drives.

Long story short:

The current control loop of a standard VESC with 0.001 Ohm shunts can only measure 160A. ( 160A x 0.001 Ohm = 0,16V -> times 10 by the DRV = 1.6V -> times 2 because you’re measuring positive and negative voltages = 3.2V on an ADC pin which can sample max 3,3V )

If you crank the absolute max amps value higher than this, all protective features of the VESC are overridden.

The only way to use higher currents is to use other shunts. 0.0005 Ohm would be a good starting point, as there is a prebuilt firmware for these.

1 Like

160A DC 160A AC 160A Motor current 160A Battery current

Does not matter what, because the VESC uses the same both shunts to measure every current and with 0.001 ohm it can only sample 160A.

The whole discussion is relatively senseless because the motors don’t have sensors. So you need to give them a push to have a nice start without jittering. And there is nothing wrong about it. Only thing is that we are moving then and as a result of that the duty cycle is already so high that the battery amps will set the limit before those motor amps are even reached. And if you could reach the motor amp limit then it would be for a fraction of a second and then the battery amps take over.

With watt control mode it is possible to ride the motor that way but i still don’t see the point. And please no calculations again. You should setup the VESC with those values and ride it and share the experience instead of spreading calculations again and again. Because i think not many will do that to their motors and VESC or even be interested as long as they don’t hear that it is much better and also feels better.

BTW I would be interested how much AWG the phase wires of the motor have.

Well, you’re really starting on the wrong foot since minimum wage in the us is 7.25$/hrs… so if you only pay someone 5$/hrs you’re just cheap…

2 Likes

Is every post in this thread supposed to be the same? Groundhogs day going on in here. :dizzy_face:

And you couldn’t use it anyway as long as the motor is not sensored.

Very interested to see what you guys come up with. From what I know of all your calculations make perfect sense and would yield high power at low RPMs (assuming the motor has hall sensors), but how much power is really needed? How much torque does 2000W produce at say 200 RPM?

Is there a way to calculate torque for a given power and rpm in a BLDC? Everything I’ve found and been able to properly grasp has been related to IC engines.

1 Like

power available =/= power required. Do you know how much torque you would be producing at that power/rpm setting??? Do you know how much power it is required to move you from a standstill to 2mph (200rpm on 83mm wheels)?

Go try some harder physics instead of the same old duty cycle, battery amps, motor amps blabbering you’ve repeated the past 3 days now?

Or actually go test it instead of posting you’ll test it.

Reread the first half of my post.

I don’t understand why everyone is so negative towards devin about this. From what I know (admittedly not a ton) everything he’s said is correct and he’s going to test it himself. If he wants to achieve the best acceleration possible than I don’t see why that’s an issue… Just make sure you wear a helmet :stuck_out_tongue:

@NickTheDude I agree that his math is right on the ONE set of equations. The reason I am negative is because I’ve read the same equations on several threads for several days. Post 5,7,9, 14, 17, 28, 40, 43 ,46, 47, 50, 51, 53, 54 on this thread are literally the same thing either copy/paste or self quotes or slightly different wording and that is on this one thread alone. You’d think he would get tired of posting it over and over. He said on post 5 he would test it, yet no test so far…

1 Like