Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

With dual motors you need dual vesc so you are looking roughly 100 for the motor plus another 100 if you go with m the torqueboard vesc so that 2 thirds of your budget on motors and vescs

1 Like

^^^ what he said. Dual motor doesn’t quite double your cost, but it certainly puts a dent in it. Plus, you need another mount, another set of pulleys… It adds up in a hurry. I should know, both my builds have been duals, and both cost me well over $1000

1 Like

Granted, I went for some high-end parts, but you can only cut back so far with a dual setup.

Better to have a beefy single than an extremely marginal dual.

2 Likes

When I got my parts enertion had the Cyber Monday sale with focbox at $100 each then about 275 for the battery 80 for my motors I went with the racerstar motors 50 for wheel pulleys 100 for motor mounts by @marcmt88 40 for the remote and 55 for enclosure and $100 for a good charger. Since I design my own boards I don’t have that added. Plus doing the art on my own boards let’s me make them look bad ass.

1 Like

nice it looks really good, what do you use markers paint? then do you use that clear griptape stuff?

No tape just glass with about 3 layers of spar urethane over it. I use posca pens

awesome i like it it’s unique, how is the grip with the glass does it eat up your shoes?

Depends on the mesh size this particular one I used both 80 and 30 mesh so it’s rough where I need it and smooth wear I need it. I have skated the 80 mesh barefoot.

I try to not be a noob but lets face it we all have a noob moment or two. My question is I’m finishing up the wiring and configuration of my focboxes and is this ok to have your wires coming of the focboes like this

Hey everyone! new to esk8 scene and been reading a lot lately but have a question about batteries, does there need to be a certain amount of batteries connected to be considered a series or just however many batteries there are? like if theres 10 batteries its a 10s?

How many watts are used when you are riding on a flat ground because an ESC I am looking at has a 1350 watt limit?

If you are looking at lipos it will read as 2s 3s and so on 10s2p would be 10 cells in series and another 10 in a parallel connection.

Just cruising and not accelerating or braking? Maybe 50 watts depending on how fast you’re going. Could be a few hundred.

Starting from a stop and powering up a hill are the watt-hogs. Especially starting from a stop, or even starting from a slower speed and going to a faster one

Hi guys thanks for letting me join this great forum. This is not a ESK8 build question per se, but I am looking for an electric board for my 12 year old son. It should be something safe, not too fast, reasonable priced and decent range. What board would be a good option for him?

Any help would be appreciated! :blush: Peter

Do you want a tool or a toy? Do you want it to last a week or years? Is your budget $500 or $1500?

Something that will last at least a year. Budget is $300 to $500. :grinning:

LoL - “cheap” and “good” you get to pick one, not both.

The Meepo 1.5 board is in that price range. If you want something good, get a Metroboard Shortboard

1 Like

Thanks I have a look at them :+1:

Don’t forget a helmet either. Do not allow riding of any powered skateboard without a helmet

If you can wait a few months, check out the Jed Jr board. It’s not actually out yet, and will probably be in the four digits like most of the quality boards.

You can tell pretty fast if a board is quality – if it has hub motors, it’s probably not. Maybe the enertion Raptor2 might be the single only exception to that, and that’s iffy

If it has 4 longboard wheels (as opposed to 2 longboard wheels and 2 motors) it’s more likely to be a better board although there are plenty of China knockoffs of those too

1 Like