New vesc user? Read This - COMPLETE WALKTROUGH OF THE VESC

Just wanted to thank you. Your explanations have made all the difference for me to get my head wrapped around the info needed to do a first build. Haven’t really had to post any redundant questions on the forum because the info was so easy to find and understand. Chur bro.

2 Likes

I searched for conformal coatings, amazon $61 CAD plus shipping, plus 3-5 week wait… I I just went to a local hobby shop and go the exact bottle for $14.97. silicone conformal coatings is what I learned is best for reducing heat as well.

Just throwing this in here, since it’s related.

Asked this over in the ‘noob questions’ thread, but didn’t get any bites. I thought it might be better to try over here:

Is it possible to wire up dual vescs in parallel for increased current to a single motor?

IE: dual motor setup w/ chained canbus’ed quad vescs with each motor having a master/slave (master=power+pwm+sensor, slave=just power).

If not, why? +Is this something that could be available via firmware in the future? It seems like amps are the limiting factor w/ vescs, especially w/ 63mm, but that could be a potential stopgap solution until vescs catch up re: amp ratings… Just imagine >100a cont+FOC. I haven’t seen any evidence this is currently doable, but I don’t know enough about VESCs to come up w/ a reason why it couldn’t be.

If so, any info/examples on this? I haven’t had any luck and usually my google fu is strong.

edit: it’d look exactly like this rendering:

…but w/ a canbus connection

Also, if VESCs support up to 60v, what is preventing people from running 13s (…or even 14s)?

one vesc interrupt the other for current measuring for motor. so no it won’t work. probably fry both vesc

could be voltage spike prevention headroom. I’m just assumming tho

Thanks for the reply, but if it’s not possible currently, I’m still not clear on why it couldn’t be possible (if there was a master/slave canbus configuration for managing the current? how would the current be interrupted?)

I’m not expert on this but sensor in the motor only good upto first 1000 rpm after that esc have to measure current draw to calculate rotor position and predict for next current draw. if u put 2, well one or the other will detect abnormalities in measuring and try to correct it. I won’t work

I can’t think of anything pre-ESC that could cause a spike like that (except maybe a BMS that’s catastrophically malfunctioning?)… especially at just 13s.

If it wasn’t so expensive to test… :slight_smile:

same I really want to try erpm limit for my vesc but can’t afford another one😥

1 Like

…but isn’t that kinda what CANbus is for?

cuz 2 motor 2 vesc can draw exact math for rotor position and canbus is communication line. but if u use 1 motor there is no answer for vesc to draw out. unless some magic code or math can fill in the caos for two. I’m just assumming from what I read bldc basics from Ti. so I could be wrong.

Did those other ESCs you read about support CANbus though :slight_smile: ? I’m guessing they may have also said you have to split the receiver PPM signal for multiple ESCs?

AFAIK canbus can transfer 1 MB/s AND I believe it supports full duplex communication… which seems like it would be more than enough to allow the master VESC recieve/calculate/send instructions to the slave (based on both ESCs current…receiver input, etc, etc).

I know I keep poking, but I am hoping to know definitively if it isn’t possible… even if it hasn’t been supported in the past.

it sounds plausible. but I haven’t seen one yet

I have read about vesc and could’t find any information on how to connect more than 2 motors.

I am building 4WD configuration, already got 4 Vesc’s. There are information how to connect 2 motors by 2 vesc controllers in parrarel connection, one Master, one Slave with BLDC tool, but I was wondering how to connect 4 of them?

One of them as master and 3 slaves? And how to connect 4 vesc with just both, two-way can bus connector?

It’s the same concept as 2wd.

VESC 1: controller id = 0, under ppm, multiple vesc’s over esc is enabled. VESC 2: controller id = 1, under app, send status over can is enabled. VESC 3: controller id = 2, under app, send status over can is enabled. VESC 4: controller id = 3, under app, send status over can is enabled.

This is how I ride with no issues. All is great!

2 Likes

Can’t find the link for the old bldc tool software. Anyone know the link? Not the FOCBOX or VESC6 tool.

I used my 3s pack to power my vesc. It didn’t work unfortunately. Then I took out my 10s from Enertion. Straight away kicked into action but I have some firmware problems so need to fix that

Iv’e bought focbox from a group buy. Could that mean that it has not been powered on?