New vesc user? Read This - COMPLETE WALKTROUGH OF THE VESC

what exact vesc is he talking about? is all vesc’s the same and can use the same software and modification and etc?

At the time this article was written, the VESC 4.1x (replace x with 0, 1, or 2) was the only VESC we had. Enertion has since created the FOCBOX that uses it’s own firmware and tool, which is why I recently updated this. If it’s not a FOCBOX (aka VESC-X), then you don’t need special firmware or software. Most apps should still work with the FOCBOX. Other wise, you need firmware for your particular VESC version and software for your particular firmware version. They do need to match.

@evoheyax where did you get this that the focbox runs it’s own custom fw? As far as i know they come with fw 2.18 on them

Really? I’ve been talking to @Ackmaniac and he said something about working on the enertion firmware for their FOCBOX.

From looking at their BLDC tool, it’s a fair bit different looking at places. So I assumed between the 2 that the firmware is different.

I do recall someone saying something about version 1.x f/w on the focboxes.

Ah ok, i think he meant the focbox that are used in the raptor2 has custom fw.

Other than that they come with fw V2.18 on them

Ahhh! That makes more sense then. Thanks for the clarity!

Has anyone ever coated their VESC in Plasti-Dip to waterproof it? Please share your thoughts and/or process/tips. Thanks in advance!

That will thermally insulate the vesc and make it near impossible to repair. I know @hummie has potted stuff before, i think vesc as well.

Yes, my concern is it getting too warm. Fixing it… I dont know how, and a $99 board cant cost much more than paying someone to fix it. @hummie and insite on waterproofing a vesc?

I’m saying the plasti-dip will make it near impossible (if at all) to repair. I doubt anyone would even want to try as it’s more trouble than it’s worth. While it doesn’t water-proof the VESC, using simple shrink wrap will protect the VESC from most situations involving water, when it’s in an enclosure.

U should get the best thermally conductive stuff u can. Think it’s silicone. Compare before and after temps on the Vesc data log and tell us! I planned to pot the Vesc in some special expensive 3m “electronics potting” with some nice copper little heat sinks for each fet I got but it all still sits undone waiting for the future. Supposedly not much heat generated elsewhere.

I more so than waterproofing was interested in sticking it to the board. Potting it to the board! Damn I want to do this still. Waterproof and more important to me vibration/bang proof

what part is the FET? and did you make heat sinks for them? What 3M stuff were you going to use?

does the VESC have a built int AntiSpark resistor or do we need an XT90-S anti spark plug?

no, you need an anti spark plug or switch

Thank you. How do I wire in an on/off switch like this?

1 Like

The 3m stuff I looked for in my pile but will look again buy there’s surely a bunch of options: You could just do the “conformial coating” instead of fill potting an that might suit u better. The fets are the 6 bigger bits just before the motor wires with the flat surface. I just found small copper heat sinks that were a bit bigger than the Fets that stick on.

@lrdesigns <-- didn’t you plastidip your VESC? how’d that turn out?

you can check out what happens to a computer when you plastidip it. Thermal throttling everywhere!

1 Like

No I used a spray on conformal coating that is silicone based. http://hken.rs-online.com/web/p/conformal-coatings/0831141/ I needed 100% water proof and don’t have heat issues as I have a dual with total power limited to 1000w so the vescs get warm but not hot. You can get thermally conductive conformal coatings though. Seems to have worked so far. I went to extra level with heavy shrink wrap and hotglued the ends so its sealed. 2X water proof! The connectors have been removed as I didn’t want the chance for water to get under them. Repairing them would be very hard, it can be scraped off but is resistant to most solvents.

More extreme than most are willing to do :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes