New VESC from China. Seems like not only Maytech is making VESC's now

Maybe the mosfets are good to go 80A cont but they were so wise to Label the whole esc only as 60A?

Funny that the video cut right before the thermal throttle… didn’t get to see at what current it stabilized

1 Like

Wow… a impressive 14W for over a minute Wow that what I call POWA!!!

1 Like

To be fair it was 21V*65A so 1400W for a minute.

Yeah sorry, my bad… but still it did around the same as a Focbox can do :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: And Btw they cut the Video right when the temps cutout appear

Well let’s ask them to upload the video unedited!

2 Likes

Why not a video using the vesc-tool, that way we can validate the voltage and current going through the motor :wink:

4 Likes

It’s open source though no? Shouldn’t be too hard to fake that if you really wanted to.

I now understand why it states that it can do 60-80A. It can do that at lowest voltage ~21V which is 1400W I highly doubt it could do it at 60V. As they don’t mention wattage and only current :smiley:

300A with that case is like a joke :smiley: Our solid bar of aluminum is hot at 150A so I would like to see it even do 100A but of course, at low voltage, it’s not big wattage 20 * 150A is 3kW same as 60A at 50V :smiley:

So FocBox Unity run fork of vesc-tool and fork of vesc firmware? :smiley: Where is the source codes and schematics :smiley:

1 Like

Why are you talking about input voltage in regards to FETs heating? The throughput wattage doesnt matter for heat generated. All that matters is voltage drop across fets and current through them during. This will be a function only of current and FET on resistance not voltage.

If a fet is 60v rated it will do the same max amps at 20V as it would at 60V. The whole point of higher voltage batteries is more wattage through the board without extra heat.

3 Likes

Source code will all be released once Unity is out in the wild.

1 Like

Like they released BLDC-Tool / Firmware (running inside shipped focboxes) source code? :joy:

The GNU GPL demands that as soon as you distribute GPL licensed software in executable format you make available the “complete corresponding source code”. The GNU GPL also contains a definition of this term:

The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the executable.

They ship bone stock v2.18…

You are welcome to continue throwing negativity while we focus on creating an awesome product that is going to improve the eskate experience while reducing cost and giving back to the community. This entire focus on focbox firmware open-sourcing is little more than a smear campaign, the firmware is unchanged from existing open-source repositories. The point of open sourcing is to make updated/improved code available to the community for integration in other projects, the focbox code is already available in open source repositories. The unity firmware which I am developing will contain many new and interesting tidbits which, as the license requires, will be open sourced. To do anything else would violate the spirit of open source license. It is my sincere hope that my work will be used to improve other vesc-inspired designs.

Back to the topic of this thread, it is good for people to acknowledge when they make incorrect statements to clear up the information for other readers. You do aclnowledge that whether the input voltage is 20v or 60v makes no difference on the driving current which is possible? If a vesc is rated to 80 amps it doesnt matter what input voltage within its usable range you test at. It is my understanding that rating remains pretty much constant. If anything I believe lower input voltage probably reduces the current rating. More fet on-time when driving the motor to achieve given amps.

5 Likes

Except for their dual DRV handled by a single MCU design soon to be released found in the post here:

It will be hard to get the improved source codes unless Enertion makes a github page detailing the changes and posting it. From past post it will be unlikely unless they no longer have a need to profit off of it will it become open source.

Maybe I’m not communicating effectively, Sorry! Long story short, I am the firmware developer working with Enertion on the FOCBOX Unity and I want to reassure everyone the code will be open sourced in a git repository when its ready for release. Check the new activity in the thread you linked, and if you have any more questions regarding the Unity ask them there and I will see if I can provide answers.

8 Likes

Got the pics last night of the VESC 6 in its aluminum case. Looks very nice!

Here’s some added photo’s on their site of it open.

They’ve uploaded additional photo’s and info.

8 Likes

wow that looks nice. Tell me . . . how waterproof do you think it is?

Well personally I’m skeptical because of all the access points it has from the xt90, the on /off button, the cables, and the at the center of the top it’s got that removable bit for accessing the plug-ins… So I wouldn’t call it waterproof, but it seems at least pretty water resistant as long as all these are sealed and closed.

EDIT:

I added some more photos to my post above as they added some to their site.

yeah . . . . waterproof seals on all opening edges, massive hole for xt90.

Im very curious to see how this performs when people start receiving them.