New on the block: Maytech VESCs

@ evoheyax This is what I was actually getting at. Just because it comes from China does not make it crap. (Possibility of course but if they do it right, and Maytech make decent motors from what I have heard, they may provide a decent VESC at a decent price. Time will tell)

I personally have two VESCs from chaka and I know they are good as I have had zero problems with them.

Another from a different source and that one works but runs a lot warmer.

And can you quote me on saying “All stuff from china is crap” ?. We are not talking about tv sets here or iphones. We are talking about eboards…and when it comes to eboard business there is a lot of crap coming from them, so let’s stop that racism bullshit and face facts.

just messaged the alibaba page asking on price, if they get back to me with info i will be the tester.

I never said that you said that. I was referring to the comment that sparked this whole discussion.

Yes, when it comes to eboard stuff, there’s a lot of Chinese crap, but it’s an undeveloped market. This industry is so new, that few people have had the time and resources to start a decent sized company that can get a good factory to make large quantities with good quality (like how sony, or lg, or samsung does it). Yes, it’s possible maytech could make some good vesc’s. I would be (and am) skeptical of their quality, as most Chinese eboard stuff on the market is trash. Again, not everything. My space cell was made in china, and I have to say, despite it not being high amp enough for me, I’ve yet to have any issues, even with me semi abusing it by bypassing the bms, and pulling more amps then it really wants. Same can be said with enertions motors, rock solid, and to my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong), they are china made.

@WeeChumlee My whole point was that not everything from china is crap, but it’s not being sold by an eboard company, I’m even more skeptical than normal. They will likely cut corners, use cheap parts, and break quickly. The VESC (idk if because of the way they are normally used, or by design flaw, or because so many cheap ones have been made) seem more fragile than other electronics. Good quality components seem to eliminate most of these problems. And we have yet to see a quality vesc come from china, nothing but garbage as far as I’m concerned.

@chipoi84 I was refering to the smd caps on the circuit board.

@WeeChumlee When I first started manufacturing the VESC I was basically selling it at cost. I have never used sub-standard parts, in fact I have over spec’d a few of the smd capacitors in order to make the VESC more robust.

I am glad you are enjoying a solid VESC from OllinBoardCo and that you can see the difference in quality. Please know that we are all really small companies and yes we rely on a certain amount of customer loyalty to stay in business. We get this customer loyalty because we contribute to the sport. This takes time, effort and money.

There will always be the consumers who try to save every penny they can in order to get what they want and that is ok. There will always be an overwhelming amount of consumers that will gladly support those who drive the sport forward.

The reality is these VESC’s are likely not even made in China. The age of cheap product from china is coming to an end. Swarmy manufacturing is moving to other developing nations with cheaper labor, India being the main focus of this shift.

3 Likes

@evoheyax Maybe I did not come across as I would have hoped - I was agreeing with your point. @chaka Yup, happy with your product and am quite aware of how business works and what it costs. I am in the electronic business myself - I have it easy though as I am not self employed :slight_smile:

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. @delta_19 I suppose it is all down to you mate. If you get one I hope it is a good product at a decent price. If so we, the consumers, all win with affordable VESCs.

The development of the next generation VESC V5 is already in full swing and that is great. A decent product for the masses though is what is need now. Once the masses are happy with the VESC they may want the next generation.

Anyway, my only criticism in this thread was the generalisation that everything from China is crap, that is simply not true. A lot, yes, agreed. I live in hope though. It may be great and we can be happy. I will only shoot it down if it proved to be crap quality, not beforehand on the assumption that it will be.

In talks now. Let’s see what the cost is.

Oh they also say it comes with the capasitor so yay

Maytech is one week out from finishing there vescs and say they will email me when ready. They also cost 104 a unit

not all chinese stuff is crap, but most. maybe 5 out of 5000 products is made to our standart. I have seen lighters made OF PLASTIC!! you light a cigarette and the lighter keeps burning…they don´t care!! waterboilers are made of INFERIOR plastic. after 5 min, the boiler IS MELTING and it smells like burnt electronics…they fck…g don´t care!!!

I live in China since 2 years. still most things here are crap. (thts the sad reality, not racism)

btw, if you look at both pictures, the Maytech one seems not really nicely soldered. my 2ct

the VESC in the Maytech photo looks shit. and I would be questioning the sanity of anyone considering buying it.

there are 12 year olds on this forum who can solder better…

4 Likes

Haha, very funny. I didn’t sand my motor wires before I soldered them into bullets. I managed to do it but do you reckon I should redo it or wait until it fails? I couldn’t pull it out of the joint so I think it’ll be right.

and they stopped talking to me… dont play this game maytech

you mean you didn’t get to 2nd base?

6 Likes

Did you try asking her about her day? That shit works like a charm…

7 Likes

Lol freaking hilarious…

10 ways to hit on your rep By @Ulfberht

I think it was on the NY Times best seller list

1 Like

Come for the e-skateboard building tips. Stay for the dating advice.

2 Likes

hashtag relatable

1 Like

and they responded, lets see where this goes.

You have a chance at 2nd base…

Don’t fuk it up

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I second that