NEW IMPROVED: FOCBOX | Official Thread

He has a 2 stage testing now, so even his manufacturing is being improved.

Great work!

does he test FOC under high load? Seems not

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/the-hubs-x-enertion-vesc-x-hummie-hubs-custom-10s4p-pack/11127?u=johnnymeduse

The fact is, I need to stop because the motor are Overheating before the VESC

From the moment when Benjamin shared his work with the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, he gave the right to anyone to Adapt - remix, transform, and build - upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.

Will be there an update email for those who already downloaded the pack sent out when the non-PDF files are available?

R, J.

@onloop Can you confirm if this will work with 12S voltage? Iā€™ll buy one right now if it does. Thanks!

you are missing the share part, redistribute in any medium or format

meaning he could mail you a paper copie of the gerbers if you like. The format is paper and the medium is mail.

now heā€™s sharing a pdf format of what was remixed, via his website. that conforms to the CC 4.0

You mean:

ShareAlike ā€” If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

Thatā€™s why I asked when the design files and BOM will be available as current files are only PDFā€¦

R, J.

1 Like

Yes so someone can use the schematic of the VESC-X and remix it also. thatā€™s what the SareAlike is. Doesnā€™t mean the format needs to be the same. Because it stays under the CC 4.0 license

Just try to prove the circuit and PCB designers work with PDF file format :laughing:

R, J.

I donā€™t understand what you mean? I work with altium on a almost daily basis, the pdf of the VESC-X is clearly sourced from altium. Now, thereā€™s no KIcad to Altium importer out there. So the designer of the VESC-X was probably using the pdf of the 4.12 as reference, starting from scratch.

1 Like

He means that @onloop did not share the source files and thus does not comply with the license. PDF is good, but if you want to create a new VESC-XY based on VESC-X, you have to do a lot of work. @onloop did this on purpose, to prevent others from doing say, I want just to take files, and manufacture PCBs on oshpark, and solder everything myself. I canā€™t easily do this.

A lot of people cite the creative commons licenses for hardware but itā€™s not really applicable. The license is a copyright license which offers very little protection when it comes to software and no protection when it comes to hardware (normally you have to go the patent route for protection). The original intent of copyrights was to protect authorship and publication rights for books so these protections werenā€™t ever really envisioned to protect objects like computer hardware. This is alluded to in their FAQ:

https://creativecommons.org/faq/#general-license-information

Hardware canā€™t be protected by copyright. Software can be, but itā€™s easy to circumvent because functionality canā€™t be copyrighted so, you can basically re-write a code and not be subject to copyright ā€“ most likely have to go patent route to do anything. Onloop is only bound by the CC license insofar as it relates to work that is actually copyrightable, like the images or written materials that Vedder published. If itā€™s just new hardware heā€™s pushing out it doesnā€™t really apply unless thereā€™s a patent.

1 Like

What Iā€™m saying is that PDF is not the standard file format of Altium. Independently from where you start the work - from a paper document or importing the source files - and from the changes you apply - only conversion / transformation or changes like rerouting / BOM - you must share and distribute your contributions. Altium format is not proprietary, so canā€™t see how the fair use would prevent sharing design in the right format.

R, J.

1 Like

If he would be bound to those than he wouldnā€™t complain on Chakaā€™s BOM a few weeks ago.

R, J.

lol right, not saying heā€™s not hypocritical.

I made this same point in the thread where he was going after Chaka.

Well, chaka did not share any of is informationā€¦ Not even is bom or is shematicā€¦ That was the point

Also as @Blasto said, you can reproduce de VESC-X, you just need to work for itā€¦ all the information is available

Iā€™m not sure if you are right with the statement that you canā€™t apply copyright on software / hardware. - See Apple vs. Samsung :slight_smile: The native file formats are also documents - like DOC or PDF - , just better to represent the content of it: circuits and PCB designs. So the ā€œprotect authorship and publication rightsā€ could apply.

R, J.

Chaka did not do a complete layout change that would require a BOM change. He simply had suggestions for upgraded components that he sent to Vedder.

This is a complete PCB layout change and should have a BOM to show the newly designed layout of the similar and upgraded Vesc components.

Those were patents infringement suits, not copyright.

I do this for a living :slight_smile:

Fyiā€¦ Chaka did a complete bom changeā€¦ He just the same layout and He just did not share is work.