NEW IMPROVED: FOCBOX | Official Thread

Yea still don’t think that is enough 60 days. And to pay for extra warranty that the bit I really don’t agree with. You are now fairly settled business now and should offer a better warranty. There are people on this forum who sell vesc that off free warranty even if it was a user issue. Will contemplate it but think will probably wait for someone els to produce them with better warranty for probably same amount.

the decision is based on market research, see here: VESC FAQ | Low Prices VS Quality Service | USER POLL - ESK8 Electronics - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board

The majority of people want lower price & less warranty, please understand that everything has a cost. The longer warranty has a cost, especially when you have a product that will be used in many experimental setups that we have no control over. People can literally destroy the VESC by changing the firmware settings incorrectly…

So we have decided to offer the premium warranty for the minority & the lowest prices possible for the majority

2 Likes

Only 18 uses of the discount code now available

would be good to see other companies or even countries to use a 2 year warranty with all their stuff they´re selling, like we are use to here in the EU! Lots of peops thinking about buying the vesc over an standart esc, we should get to a point where the price difference is insufficient. (which it is with the higher rated 12s esc i know). But on the other hand, a bulletproof vesc, where people could put in strange numbers in the bldc tool and only getting a error instead of an blown DRV.

To summerize: It should be possible to produce a not so expensive, good to produce and really reliable vesc. maybe in 2 years?! :monkey:

1 Like

It’s really not possible. There are just too many things that can go wrong especially if the person doesn’t know what they are doing.

1 Like

Not sure why people keep on referring to this seemingly amazing warranty wonderland that is the EU. This is not the case. The 2 years guarantee is not meant to keep you from destroying a product by ensuring you get a new one. After only 6 months YOU are actually required to PROVE to the seller that the fault in the product already existed at the time of purchase. This is nearly impossible without expensive assessment by an expert. Everytime a seller gives you any form of refund or repair after those 6 months he does this purely out of goodwill and not because he is legally required to do so.

Explanation by the EU: Guarantees, cancelling and returning your purchases - Your Europe

This also means however that companies like esk8 (selling VESCs in Germany) are basically offering a 6 months no questions asked guarantee as they would have to prove to the buyer that the fault was NOT there from the beginning.

i know but thats great comparing to other countries isn´t it ? :slight_smile:

the point is to stand behind your product like esk8, chaka or others do and provide a great service if something is wrong!

Whats the constant amp rating on this esc?

Will this be suitable for 12S @ 60A?

1 Like

I strongly believe that if the user is at fualt and no proof can be shown they yes more than in they’re rights to refuse (I work in the cycle industry and this happens a lot). But more warranty for the newer unproven product as no one knows how this vesc will 6-12months time even if it’s been correctly setup. And that’s what’s needed I think. Also a good detailed setup process as I built my 3D printer from scratch 3 years ago and have never needed to adjust any of the firmware since that original setup but then again the product had been tested for longer with lots or reworks. And I believe these new vesc won’t be without their faults down the line.

I live in Slovakia, Europe - warranty is pretty fair there both for the seller and the customer. We have got 24 months warranty covering any issues excluding the ones caused by the user himself. I have never had any problem and always got a replacement / free reprair / refund. You just have to describe the problem in a detail, they will try to reproduce it and then fix it. If they find out it was caused by the user ( for example mechanical damage etc. ), they will refuse to fix it.

It’s really hard to provide warranty on something like VESC is. Why? Because it’s hard to find out if it was caused by the user or the unit itself. It’s quite easy with DOA products and seller should imediately replace it for free. But if you are using something for let’s say 12 months, settings are correct, runs stable and it fails for no reason, then you should have free repair / replacement.

2 Likes

Yea that’s all it needs is a 12month warranty subject to users setting and usage. For like myself I would research and research before running any firmware and then once setup take it for easy runs then return and check again. And yea if you successfully run a firmware for say 9 months and you have done nothing different then it’s oviously a manufacturer issue or design.

1 Like

It’s basically impossible to prove whose fault it is when a vesc breaks (with out paying an expert more than the cost of a new vesc). So good luck getting your legally required warranties in the EU.

I finally found the cause of my first vesc failure, which was from the second enertion china batch. It was the infamous pin poking the positive wire between the caps and vesc. This occurred back in the beginning of the year, before this was a know problem, way before switching to the US factory.

@onloop, are these new ones made in the US? Glad to see you step up to the plate and deliver a better quality vesc.

1 Like

Just think for a second how impossible this is. No way he will do that. Instead it would be a good move to send him money automatically whether he registers or not, promotes you or not.

3 Likes

I’m not an expert in these but be careful: guarantee and warranty are different

Guarantee:

• EU defines minimal guarantee time-frames for some type of products, but not for all. Min is usually 1 year.
  • Guarantee time-frame is defined by the seller, kind of voluntary offer (above the EU defined min. if applies).
  • Some sellers provide longer guarantee time for products for marketing reasons (e.g. 5y for cars).
  • Under the guarantee period the seller must prove that the product’s failure came from a not-so-proper usage of the product caused by the buyer.
  • The product can have different guarantee time-frames for different parts of the product (like phone vs. battery).
  • Guarantee definitions could also move/rearrange responsibilities around wearing parts, maintenance required parts – in some cases even warranty is lost on these (e.g. you not change oil in your car periodically).

Warranty:

• Warranty is around the product liability, means the product has no hidden issues, and works as described.
  • Warranty period has two parts: in the first part the buyer is treated innocent…
  • In the first part – usually 6 months – on complaints the seller has to prove that the buyer caused the failure - e.g. incorrect use.
  • In the rest of the full warranty period – usually 2y – the buyer have to prove that the failure came from a hidden issue that was already in the product at the time of purchase.
  • Time-frames are defined by the law - for both new/used(refurbished) products and B-B/B-C/C-C deals. Covers all parts of the product.

Regarding the 6 months, 2 years and friends:

• 6 months: this is usually the first period of warranty - the seller has to prove that the failure was caused the buyer. It covers all parts of the product.
  • 2 years: this is usually the full period of the warranty. Some consumer goods, durables have 3y warranty period. Under the warranty period after the first “innocent buyer phase”, the buyer has to prove that the failure came from the product and the product had the source of the issue since it was purchased.
  • 2-3-5 years: this is usually the voluntary guarantee. The seller agrees that issues will be covered unless the buyer caused the failure, this must be proven by the seller.

This even more complex based on how the product is sourced:

• who buys it? - person or legal entity. e.g. does it requires CE so parts are well classified?
  • from where? - outside of EU / EEC / EFTA / OECD… All different European associations follow the EU regulations and also OECD country laws are quite similar.
  • from whom? - person or legal entity? e.g. when you say EU warehouse - is it a single person or a company behind it?

Even if the seller is outside of EU, there are many cases when the EU or similar laws are enforced on the product and the deal.

R, J.

Law defines, who is responsible - in the different phases of warranty and guarantee - to prove that the fault is by the other party. if it’s not possible to prove than who can’t prove is responsible to cover the issue. E.g. usually in the first 6 months the seller has to prove, if can’t, seller must do repair / replace.

R, J.

Since this does not look like an official Vedder product you may want to think about renaming this product or having Vedder give rights to his name being attached to this product. The VESC has a considerable amount of goodwill attached to it in this community and is a valuable trademark and calling it a VESC has already caused a lot of confusion as to Vedder’s involvement in this product which can open you up to other issues as well.

Not trying to give you a hard time, just some advice that may save you trouble down the road since the more you invest marketing this now the more difficult it will be to rebrand later on.

Renaming it may cuase equal confusion. It runs the same software as the VESC, it’s basically the same components as the VESC with a few upgrades and new FETs. Mostly new form factor and upgraded components. I think having VESC in the name is smart, some it is a VESC after all. Personally I think it should be called the VESC-V, since it’s like the version 5 vedder is skipping.

If I could name this product I’d name it S-ESC-X (Skateboard ESC-X) - super cheesy but a nod to Tesla and their Models S, 3 and X.

I 100% agree with you that it’s smart from strictly marketing and business standpoint to call this a VESC since by doing so he’ll benefit from all the brand equity, goodwill and market understanding/knowledge of the VESC 4.12. I’m just saying he should either get Vedder’s consent to call this a VESC (maybe he did, but from the context of the original post it doesn’t seem to be the case) or call it something else; otherwise this becomes a bad decision in consideration of trademark infringement risks where he may be fined later on, be subject to deceptive practices, lose out on sunk cost marketing this as a VESC and then have to cover the expense of rebrand later on.

When I’m talking about confusion, I’m speaking specifically in terms of brand confusion in the market (this is the only arena where trademarks exist) and not product quality or makeup. As to trademarks doesn’t matter if two products are exactly the same; brand equity is brand equity, which is why you can sell two shoes of equal quality and the one with the Nike brand will sell for 2000% more. Another way to put this is say your company Rocket Boards started growing and you’ve earned yourself a great reputation on hollow-core completes. How would you feel if I then started selling a competing product called “Rocket Board-X by Evoheyax” and based it off your design – I would be leveraging your marketing spend and reputation for myself. I’m also assuming you wouldn’t want your name associated and I don’t think it would be a good defense for me to say, hey I don’t want the market to be confused about the underlying design and since it’s based off of Evoheyax’s Rocket Board (nice job btw) I’m going to name it after him.

I do like the name VESC-V too, what stands this X for and what is the next version called VESC-XX?

I realy like your effort you put in the development of this new VESC and would really like to try them but about 330 Eur for a dual-setup for an untested product. Maybe I’ve to pay taxes… And as the others mentioned before, you had serveral quality issues and manufactoring faults on the older VESCs and many people are not happy with your warranty and 2x40$ for platinum is not an option. So for me the price and overal risk is too high, maybe in 2017 when this is tested,

And can you show me video of a dual-raptor that bombs a huge hill in FOC-mode serveral times without blowing DRV or other problems?

1 Like