My Centaur longboard- Half Boosted - half Meepo

Hello, guys. I have been reading in this forum for a while but I just signed in now a few days ago. Sorry for my writing mistakes, English is not my mother tongue.

Anyway, I wanted to share my 2 cents on my board and findings so far. There have been so many comparisons between Bosted board and Meepo board so far, where most of them keep mocking meepo even though boosted board costs at least 3 times more. I wanted to do a mixup of Boosted board with Meepo board.To see how that does end up.
After owning the meepo board for some weeks I found out two of the main weakness.

1. Battery pack and BMS limit of 20A max.
  2. Totally flat and way to stiff deck.

Some days ago I did manage to get my hands on a Loaded Vanguard Flex 1 deck that was on sale for around 130 USD(or is that the normal price). And it happened that I have lots of A123 26650 batteries laying around. So I thought let’s try to fix those two issues.

I did hook up 12S1P A123 26550 M1B batteries to the ESC without BMS. I do have a fuse in between 30A though, just in case. Batteries can handle whatever you through to them they are rated for 70A continues to draw and 120A short draws but I’m more afraid of things around :slight_smile: in case of a short. First I did try with a fuse of 20A, and it did blow up in the first small hill. Meaning that motors will pull more if allowed. While 30A did hold well, full throttle maby 15% hill, 90kg on top:slight_smile: Let’s assume without testing that motors are pulling something in between that 25A than we are talking 3,3V * 12S1P * 25A= 990W also motors are indeed as advertised 500W each.

With that said I want to share my thoughts on this:

1. Loaded deck, was a dream. Night and day difference. We have quite bad streets in Norway because of long winters and studded tires. And I must say with meepo board I do feel every whole or crack not only in my feet but all the way to my neck haha. That did vanish with the new deck. Meepo is a bit shorter something that is handy in the city and the handle is a plus. But the response of Loaded is much better and its much easier carving is much more fun. The conclusion is that deck of Meepo could bo one of its main weaknesses.

2. Motors behave totally differently with new batteries and without limiting the current. They were much snappier. Had way more torque and did reach top speed much faster. Meepo has some kind of stuttering on the hills most likely BMS cutting out the current time after time, and the speed falls drastically after 15meters because of the voltage sag of Samsung 22P batteries. A123 cells have a quite flat discharge rate unless you start to pull more than 30A.In addition to that nominal voltage is 39V instead of 36V in meepo board.

I’m totally happy with my finding. Ill most likely will be riding a while like this to test it a bit more if the motors will survive the torture. If you have any questions let me know ill try to answer them time after time. And will keep updating this thread in the future whenever I make any changes or improvements.

Two questions if anyone can answer them:

1. If I wanted to cut a handle in the loaded board would that compromise the board a lot since I weigh 90Kg?
  2. I have a bit more unorthodox idea and that is to make a pack of high capacity 18650 cells and connect them only on the charging part of BMS to charge the pack of a123 on the go. And use only a123 pack for discharge currents. I know it sound crazy but i think it will work. If someone from experience knows that this is going to be a disaster please let me know. :slight_smile: .

06.10.2017 Fatos Blakaj Norway/Olso

2 Likes