[Mars Rover 1] Never Summer Reaper | 83mm flywheels | Caliber 50 Trucks| Rout Supply Co. Ceramic Bearings | Dual 190kv Torqueboards 6355 | Ollin VESC | DiYES's 10s4p | Psychotiller Custom Enclosure

I hope you get it all dialed in. Sounds like you are on the right track!

1 Like

I just saw this build, I love the deck a lot.

What top speed are you hitting on the board?, does it feel safe at 30mph?

Itā€™s a great deck. Iā€™m getting about 27 mph top speed. Itā€™s very stable to the point where I would prefer to have an additional 5 mph. I might try 90 or 97mm wheels in the future for more top speed, but I really donā€™t want to add risers. Right now, with 83mm wheels, I have only 1/8" shock pads. In my experience, risers reduce stability at speed and can really make the ride feel worse. I highly recommend it for eskate, except for the added complexity of mounting to the contoured underside.

How much clearance between the wheels and board do you have on the longest wheelbase , are you sure you will be able to mount 97mm wheels?

I been thinking about this board for a while but need to know if itā€™'l clear the wheels with no riser pads.

1 Like

I still love looking at pics of this build as well!

1 Like

Not a lot. I donā€™t think itā€™ll take 97ā€™s without risers. Might be able to do 90mm with a little riser. If I loosen the trucks a lot, it could get wheel bite using 83mm but it hasnā€™t been an issue for me. Hope that helps

This build has been an inspiration for me, I purchased the Never Summer Reaper a couple of weeks ago, I think itā€™s the most beautiful board Iā€™ve ever seen.

I already purchased the 97mm as my roads are not the best and it helps a lot on uneven pavement, but Iā€™m really scared of wheel bite

1 Like

Awesome, good luck with your build! Youā€™ll probably have to use some risers with 97mm :frowning:

Iā€™ve purchased these 1/4" (6.35mm) risers:

Hope I could get some clearance, otherwise Iā€™ll trim the deck itself

1 Like

I just came here to say thatā€™s a great looking build. LOVE that deck choice and your enclosure work.

2 Likes

@Spek Where did you get the graphics from? Iā€™m looking at adding graphics to the bottom of my gfs setup.

1 Like

I have access to a large format printer. The graphics are printed onto vinyl and I installed the print myself. Basically a giant sticker.

I would recommend contacting your local sign shop. Tell them what youā€™re making and provide the artwork (theyā€™ll tell you if the resolution is too low). They should be able to give you a quote and recommend specific vinyls. If you want it to last, I would ask them to use the same stuff they wrap cars with.

One thing to note is that vinyl graphics wont hold well on ABS plastic. If youā€™re putting it into a plastic enclosure, it might not stay for long. So far mine is holding up just fine and I put the grip tape right on top of the print.

The image itself is a NASA poster for recruiting Mars explorers which I thought was awesome. I had to do some photoshop work to extend the background and removed some text that wouldnā€™t fit nicely.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks, man!

Where do you source the vinyl? I have access to a large format printer, but am having a hard time sourcing a printable vinyl that isnt regular 8.5x11" sheets. I was thinking of priming the ABS beforehand to have a better surface to stick to.

I will look into local shops, I just donā€™t want it to cost an arm and a leg. Last time I tried to get a custom wrap made for a skydiving helmet a local shop was quoting in the thousands

Well in my case the whole thing was free. I did get a quote from a local sign shop for laminated cast vinyl and it was around $60. You cant really wrap an object like a helmet in vinylā€¦ too round. Iā€™m guessing it was a different process. An entire vehicle costs thousands including install.

That came out amazing! Well done. Thatā€™s some of the coolest art Iā€™ve ever seen on top of a skateboard (electric or otherwise)

2 Likes

Thanks! Here is a webpage that features the artwork for free.

How did the 97ā€™s fit for you?

Hey man!

The 97mm were good but had to use a couple os thin angled risers and there was no wheel bite at all, even forcing it

Is it for an electric or analog? Im curious to see some pics. I canā€™t find authentic abec11ā€™s anywhere except one vendor has some overpriced 97mmā€™s. Thanks