Low Guido's hack board. For Science | now with hub motors

nothing wrong with a good drillin. I have made plenty like that.

Threads cut and offset fixed.

1 Like

So yesterday I did some test runs. And all was good until I broke a phase wire on one of the motors…

So I also did a test run on a single hub motor. Results were good. I mean Id probably be happy enough with just one motor. The top speed was identical only the acceleration wasn’t as hard. No huge loss… I havent tried any major hills yet… I have been so busy with other stuff.

So then this morning I did this:

Because. I don’t know. Somebody remind me why im doing this again? Science? Is there life out there beyond VESC?

2 Likes

@lowGuido Cam :movie_camera: In effect

Looks good … Just slap an enclosure and you’re good to go

this board will never have an enclosure. that’s the point. it’s made with velcro so that I can change the components in and out for testing.

I have other boards that will have enclosures…

one day I will buy a go pro…

I know … I pay attention lol…I was just saying …

And Noooo…Love the @lowGuido cam… No need for improvement lol save ur money for e-sk8 crap lol

just an update on the ol hack. its now sporting dual @jacobbloy hub motors off twin @chaka VESC’s in push assist mode. its a load of fun! for those who were paying attention I accidently cross threadded a grub screw and had to tap out the thread to an M3.5 thread that I couldn’t get grubcrews for so I had to improvise my own. Also you can see my offset is the same on the front and rear now with the truck mods i made.

3 Likes

What did you end up doing to fix the grub screw problem? Are those home made M3.5 grub screws or something?

Yeah i found some m3.5 machine screws at a fasteners store and cut them down and ground the head down. Its not pretty but it works.

If I hadnt been in such a hurry to try them out i wouldnt have had a problem with the original screws. Its just that i loctited them on and then had to take them off to shorten the hanger and then put them back on again. The whole on again off again thing was what stripped it. And as a result i also ended up breaking a wire.

Lesson learned tho. Dont rush. And make sure everything is right before you loctite.

Today I got another delivery.

Cant wait to see these things head to head.

10 Likes

Excellent! The battle we’ve all been waiting for…

Very interesting can’t wait to see it.

Damnn… The truth. The battle of the titans, please make such nice videos. I’ll be crunching pop corn while watching this :smiley:

1 Like

Well first I will have ro work out how to get hummis onto some trucks. There is a lot of talk of glue being thrown around. But no one seems to be 100% certain on which glue is the best. There doesnt appear to be any form of mechanical attachment. They also dont come pre terminated. Luckily thats my bag. And I have a bag full of bullets ready to solder on.

Throw glue in hole. 2 part high heat epoxy. Best if u heat it before mixing the two so they become thin. Screw in the axle. Last time I did it it worked this way because the glue was thin. At worst you’ll have to goop it on the axle and do the best u can. Careful not to get it on the bearing

and where does the tiny purple shim fit in?

I didn’t put it in. But u have it if it ever turns out it was missing:scream: The motors I first was running with didn’t have them. Throw them in a drawer

I am buying popcorn and waiting patiently for the test results.