[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hey, my name is Aksel and I live in Norway. I’ve allways wanted to build my own esk8. I want to build something that is as good as the comercial ones maybe even better and I don’t mind using alot of money on parts. This forum is the best!

:grinning:

My name’s Jarrod, most call me Jrod. I’m here to learn. Brand new to thecE-Board world , however, I love building and customizing anything motorized that I can ride. Everything from overhead cam methanol burning 5hp go-karts, to strapping 150cc 2cyl engines on Honda 50 frames. Im a perfectionist and hours upon hours of research led me here time and time again, so here I am. Currently mapping out my first build and I couldn’t be more stoked!

3 Likes

Welcome and post up the build​:metal:t2: l​:eyes:k forward to checking it out…you will find many like you here :facepunch:t2:

1 Like

Dear all, nice to see all this action in the diy eskate community! I am Danny and I am an electronics enthousiast, I have my own small electronics engineering / design company for which I design IoT linux, touch screen interfaces, home automation or electronics for FPV drones. For about 2 years ago I was an active team member of a solar powered speed boat where I contributed with the development of the solar charge controllers (MPPTs), telemetry and battery management. Here a demonstration of the boat in a race:

Save to say I love electronics above everything ^^. Inspired by Casey Neistat me and my brother started to DIY a electric skateboard, from the moment we got on the board we fell in love and wanted to engineer the crap out of this hobby :blush:.

6 Likes

Hi All, Just getting into Electric skateboard building. I’m 48 years old and I’ve always wanted one since being a kid and now the technology is available to do this quite easily and cheaply. I started off by buying a cheap faulty 12v dc motor type electric skateboard as the mechanics were already done for me and I could concentrate on the electronics (my main skill). Stripped it all down and was surprised to see that the motor was relay controlled so the motor was either off, on or brake. Stuck in a 4S Lipo battery pack and had fun with it, but now I want to go faster and use it for getting to and from work. So now I am investing in a brushless motor (or two). Already made plenty of mistakes like buying the wrong type of ESC (for a plane not car) so still learning. Having fun though.

1 Like

Hey @andrewhannay welcome…

DC motors bad

Brushless 50-63 mm cans

Use this site as a bench mark…

You will create yourself a masterpiece … Ask and you shall get two cents :facepunch:t2:

Hi everyone, im kyo frim Vietnam. I wanna make e-boảrd to use it as vehicle to work which is ab 7km away from where i live. I ve done some research and there is one think that i dont understand that if i make my own battery , how can i charge it?

U need the correct type of charger for the type of battery you use

So you can’t charge a 18650 battery with a regular charger…or a lipo … Need specific type

1 Like

If you use lipo, you need balance charger and a power supply for that balance charger. There are some balance charger that does include the power supply (watch for the balance charge specification if is it 110v / 220v or 12v - 25v). If the voltage is 110 / 220v AC means it includes power supply. If the inout says 12v - 25v DC means it needs power supply.

If you use 18650 packs which I dont think you gona use, it requires BMS (battery management system) and a power supply.

1 Like

And there is my second mistake. Brushless motors are a lot harder to come by than I thought. Bought a GT5335 200kv that seems to be powerful enough, but I’m only running it at 4s 13.8v and its spec’d for 10s. So with the gearing I already had with the board, this resulted in a <8mph . so I bought a n5055 580kv motor and reduced the drive pulley to gear it right down. Jus waiting on a pulley belt before I can try it.

1 Like

a regular lipo charger should have settings to charge liion/18650 but wont come with an adaptor.

2 Likes

Hello members, first post is about me: middle-aged male, long time ES and ESK8 forum lurker, based in Zurich, Switzerland. A long time focus was restoring and riding my vintage Harley. This got a little boring and time consuming, so back to board sports and MTB riding. Couldn’t resist and built two eBikes … learned a lot.

And I’ve always been interested in everything related to boards and / or water in any form. So when I saw one of the first commercial electric board at Freestyle.ch I was immediately hooked! Just buying a board was out of the question, only way to go is DYI. But first I had to finish my drone (Immersion RC Xu-Gong II pro), cure some injuries and do some research.

My builds: TF4M – idea was to do an initial rough build, learn, be up and running quickly, then do an improved build. Out came “Too Fast 4 Me” (TF4M). 12s, single sk3 6364

Next build is going to be nice

Thanks to all for sharing your great wisdom

Your gearing wont help you much…you need to bump it to 6s at the minimum …

Here look at this mate

lol gees at first I thought you were posting for a dating site hahahahhaha

Welcome and post a build thread

So true…I have my mind on a dedicated lipo charger for a project …

Oh and if your really miss your Harley while riding on your boards…Stick this in the enclosure

…Check this out that @Monk told me about …

I would say this would be an acceptable replacement…(ok no potato-o sound but still sounds boss) lol

Hi people, I’ve been creeping around the forums for a while and think im gonna take on building my first e-board. I have a lipo charger and RC knowledge but am new to the long boarding department. I live in Illinois right now but Im going to San Francisco over the summer for an internship and want a e-board for transportation.

Heres the plan, LMK if anything raises any red flags.

-Homemade 4 ply, 1/8" Baltic Birch drop-through deck, 38" -Paris V2 trucks -83mm wheels -FVT120a ESC (Still looking for a used one) -Wiiciever -Single 63mm motor (Still looking for a used Tacon… or any really) -6S (5000-7000mah) -Attemping a homemade motor mount. -Gearing will depend on motor, 12mm Belt (also looking for any used pulley parts!)

Trying to go cheap as possible but with still buying (used) decent parts.

Where do you find these aluminum 36T wheel pulleys? Ebay?

So far I’ve found this forum very helpful.

1 Like

Oh s…t, thanks for pointing out.

Now, what did I post in the other place… ?

Lol

20 “friggin” characters

Doing 3 wheeler has crossed my mind on several occasions. The drive wheel and motor assembly is much easier to design as it can just be mounted direct onto the board and never needs to move. Then all the steering is done at the front. Nice one.