Hub Motor & Urethane Riding Qualities

trust @longhairedboy! You wanna sweets right there in his van? You can pet his cat too!

LOL only a few people to watch out for. Pretty much everyone here is on the up and up.

I’m a straight shooter. And i don’t have a van, or a cat. lol

1 Like

Started a new topic with the video from Sunday’s R2 event. Both of the short drag races are included along with the radar gun speed test. Everyone’s batteries were a little run down by the time we broke out the radar gun.

2 Likes

those packs are too small. lol

2 Likes

You need some real alternative builds, not just other production boards. SF will put the raptor 2 to a better test, especially if @Jinra comes out.

1 Like

I’m actually curious how i would do, I’ll probably come out

Based on the info I’ve been getting fed by those who have tried it, you would win in a landslide. It’s fast, but that carvon v2 was close behind and those do not have good torque. None f those boards were real contenders.

This Sunday is SF, right?

1 Like

Looks like it, I’ll be there. I also found a setting on the vesc that boosts my acceleration by a ton without changing current

What’s that?

Max current ramp step. I was hitting my target current (standstill full throttle test) in about 1.75 seconds (70A / .04 / 1000hz). I doubled the value giving me max current in .875 seconds. So far it’s been a very nice boost.

4 Likes

Your not runnig FOC?

For sure. I want to set up a performance day in So Cal. Bring whatever you want and then we can get some good video and metrics to document who has the baddest board around.

4 Likes

BLDC, all about that speed :slight_smile: I’ll probably pick up @Hummie’s new hubs to run FOC with the 2 FOCBOXes I picked up from the recent group buy.

2 Likes

Would adding a few millimeters of urethane in the form of a riser on the rear truck give us the comfort we lack when using thin urethane hubs?

Great video, thanks @NummThumz for taking the time to document specs and edit the video.

How do you guys think this race would have gone had the Carvon V2 board not had a 75lb weight disadvantage. My brother riding it is 250lbs. Moja told me he is 80kg(175lbs).

The video Moja posted with the boosted , the carbon GT and raptor 2 totally changed when the 26kg(57lb) advantge was taken away from the Raptor2. Just say’n lol.

And on the speed test where the Carvon board hit 35mph compared tok the raptors 29mph, my brothers board was even less than 50%. He couldnt even make it all the way back to park which was less than a mile away haha. Its only got 2.65Ah lipo since my brotjer wanted to keep the build under $700 hahaha. Not bad for a buget build.

3 Likes

Just curious… is the Carvon 12 or 10s battery ?

It runs two $50 Turnigy 2650mAh 6S lipos in series and they are V2’s 149kv, not the 85kv V2.5’s. Pretty sure they have very close motor dimensions to the RSpec motor at 6374 but much higher KV.

1 Like

At HQ. Picked up some Superflys for my board

12 Likes

@ChrisChaput Thank your for laying things out like you did concerning your business and the copycats. It’s not often that people really get to hear from the source about what it’s like. What it’s REALLY like. I appreciate that. That illustration you made about being at a trade show and seeing someone selling your stuff knocked off…Man, it was like I was there for a second. Putting myself in your shoes, I don’t know how you encountered this without losing it…I would have lost my damn mind… LOL Maybe even cracked someone on the dome in the parking lot with a sock full of bearings…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: JK But I digress… I’m fucking done with the clones. I’m only running ABEC11 from here on out…You have my word on that…

4 Likes

It was nice having Luis swing by for a chat/tour/ride/wheel pickup. After getting some of the SuperFly’s I had to finish up a conference call but by the time I was done he had already swapped out the 97mm Flywheels that were on his board with new 107’s. He’s got a collection of components that work well together and allow him to change/test different configurations quickly and easily. I’m pretty sure than he kept the same wheel pulley spec so as you could imagine, the 10mm wheel diameter difference was more than a 10% increase in the top speed potential over the 97’s. I would expect that there was a reduction in torque, but I hadn’t tried it set up with the 97’s on board. There was plenty of acceleration from a dead stop and I never fully tested the high end because the first time I’m on someone else’s board I don’t like to hammer the throttle and roll the dice. It was plenty fast and felt solid every step of the way. The Ronin trucks turned well - somewhere between a Liquid and a Fyre. Because of the idler pulleys and 15mm pulleys system, the belts could be run fairly loose and still provide excellent tooth engagement when accelerating and braking. It free-rolled better than I expected and to the surprise of NO ONE, the wheels felt super fast and smooth and well behaved in the turns, over crappy asphalt, up and over driveway transitions, and other imperfections in the road.

I’m pretty impressed with the battery enclosures (plural) and the wheel pulleys that he made. The FOC BOX and 6355 TorqueBoard combo performed well together. I really enjoy getting a chance to ride everybody’s projects. Keep 'em coming!

4 Likes