Hub Motor & Urethane Riding Qualities

i’l bet it brakes more like a bike because of the belt rub. IF the materials are right… this might actually be something good and not just a gimmick.

but all the talk about chrome… ha… i just got a few roles of chrome vinyl. I can DEFINITELY give them a run on their chrome game. I’ll make a board so fucking shiney your girl will use it for a makeup mirror. You’ll need the reflective lens on your helmet too, or you’ll go snowblind on it.

1 Like

Here’s the way my Carvon V2.5 looks. It’s a 9-Ply deck. No bite and I can carve pretty deep. I have the knock-off wheels on this one and the thane is not as nice as my V2 that has Flywheels. These don’t grip or absorb the bumps and rocks as well. It’s not just the thickness of thane you have, it’s also the formula.

The V3 build in long beach did not have VESC settings for drag racing in the least.

I Wonder if the video segment of my brothers budget build carvon board doing 10kph faster than your Raptor will make the cut hahaha his board also came in 2nd after the raptor2 on one of the drag races we did and my brother is 80lbs heavier than Moja. Moja tried my brothers board as well and hit 57kph on the Carvon board before it was too unstable for him to keep accelerating. He even told us he could tell it had more in it!

I rode your raptor 2 in LB yesterday and Im not here to bash it in the least. Here is my review.

The board looks very well made and feels very sturdy. It accelerates better than any of the producion boards Ive owned or ridden. Top speed is decent as well but Im a tough critic in that department. It accelerates similar to the Jacobs hubs I have with high amp settings.

Since we had a Carvon V3 there on Abec 11s, I tried them back to back. It’s a noticeable difference having the full urethane wheel. Not sure if thats even argueable. The ride quality on the raptor2 is also good though. Its much smoother than the other hubs Ive ridden. I think this has to due with the fact that it had such a wide wheel. I belive that there might be a factor that has been slightly overlooked in our discussion of hub motor urethane ride quality thus far. We have talked about urethane depth, but I think the urethne area (depth x wheel width) might be what helped the raptor dampen shock better than I expected. I also like that there wasnt any slop in your setup and Moja said he had lut quite a few miles in it. There was some lateral play on one of the hubs though and the bearings were loud on that wheel as well. Might wanna check that out.

I checked the temp of the motors after our cruise on the V3’s and on the Raptor2. The motors on the raptor2 were hot. Too hot. The motors on the V3 were hot as well but not nearly as hot. To be fair, Moja was rode up the last hill a couple more times and is heavier than @DaviDjembe who was on the Carvon V3’s.

The boared does feel heavy though, but 10S4P and powerful hubs always will be though lol.

6 Likes

define “too hot”, please?

if you can’t hold your hand on them without jerking it back its too hot. For me, anyway. Not everyone has hands filled with leather and metal like i do.

I couldn’t keep keep my hand on it, but Im not the jerk my hand back type. Im the play it off and let the next guy touch it, then laugh type :rofl:

3 Likes

I had Moja touch them a few mins later and they were still very hot which he agreed with me on.

I got video of both drag races on the basketball court and obviously the speed run on the radar gun. They will all be in my video. Should have it ready mid-week. Got a rough cut finished of the performance measurements on the Raptor. Just need to add some Views of other boards that I saw and the drag races.

4 Likes

I don’t understand you saying it might brake more like a bike and belt rub. ?

I’ve never heard of transmitting braking through a cvt but I guess it would work. but looking at it again it doesn’t seem a traditional cvt with a flywheel to pull the belt along the cone to a bigger gear but instead some other mechanical thing pulling the motor forward to increase belt tension. maybe it uses another little servo motor. looks too complicated the chrome is butt ugly and who wants chrome on a skateboard anyway. chromed plastic for sure.

Ive built race minibikes with torque converters like that. Lots of slippage and drag that will wreak havoc on your whr/mile numbers and of you though belt maintenance was bad on your board now youll be in for a big surprise. The belt has no teeth and torque is transmitted through friction along the sides of a v-belt. The belts get hot and harden super quick from my experience with them.

Agree. Def keep the shit talking on the race thread… @MoeStooge made it the other day.

Trash talk is all part of it. Definitely this thread has evolved into something different. Not bad…but race talk/shit talk should be on the other thread…that way we keep the entertainment in one place lol

Trash talk is great…just make it about esk8 and not personal

Edit: I’m gonna say it…“I love all you guys” … trash talk and all…arguments and all…

That’s fucking community right there…if not family

6 Likes

When will this happen?

/Cheers

Jason, Chris, the CarvonGuy and the some others are all doing a very good job, I love this communy :sunglasses:

Why do you trash talk about each other, why not trash talk about ACTON? (for example) Because ACTON can’t compete with none of you and is not worth trash talking. So it’s some kind of pleasure to get trash talked, then you’ve done it right :wink:

this

Well it has already begun. The 107mm SuperFly has just been released. It is 12mm wider has an 11mm wider contact patch than the 97mm Flywheel, along with 5mm more urethane depth. We have some 83mm SuperFly prototype wheel molds cut that are awaiting a new/different mold insert to slightly modify the wheel profile. I have a bunch of large diameter 12 foot sections of round aluminum rod stock (that weigh a ton), and am moving toward having 83mm, 90mm, and 97mm molds ASAP. We’re doing this in house, and as safely (read slowly) as possible because these big rotating chunks metal can become projectile missiles in a split second if something goes wrong. Lathes are freakin’ scary … always some puckering involved …

These “smaller” offset SuperFly’s each grow the contact patch by 16mm compared to the original centerset. They’re a bit like taller BigZig HD’s but with the Flywheel core. Molds could take a month or so, lead times for production can be up to six weeks. They may not be released all at once, but once they’re all out there we’re going to want 32T, 34T, 36T, 38T, 40T, 42T, and 44T wheel pulleys for the 83mm, 90mm, 97mm, and 107mm offerings. You can dial in your torque, top speed, depth of urethane, urethane formula, footprint/handling characteristics for whatever style of riding you like. Unless of course you like rough rides, in which case we can’t help you.

14 Likes

Released where exactly? This is the first thing that pops up when googling, should I order from here?

http://www.sk8kings.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=SKABC104

Would you be up for a group buy?

1 Like

I have to say that I love seeing more and more picture about your product. Any chance you could show more about making the wheels, like the molds you just showed? Are those cnc milled?

your mom when she ordered this board. lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWOSFKjFD2q/?taken-by=longhairedboy

3 Likes

released to my punk ass. I got the very first set bitches! hahahahahaha

i only got one set though. I’m not distributing these or anything. Just gloating about getting the first set ever shipped.

@ChrisChaput don’t lie sweetie you know you like a rough ride

4 Likes

I hate u, I hate u so much!!!

2 Likes

Feel the hatred inside you. FEEL THE FULL POWER OF THE DARK SIDE.

1 Like