Hub Motor & Urethane Riding Qualities

i like that idea. Trash talk thread. I’m enjoying this. I just wish i could drink beer at work.

3 Likes

Maybe I should bring some R2 to florida… If you do a groupe Ride :wink:

1 Like

Lets Do it!

I’ve been dying to meet you guys anyway. I’ll settle for just you for now.

I will show you the most amazing riding spots central florida has to offer. Also, you can take another batch of dead electronics back to Canada with you and save me some shipping.

Guess i better kick up my race training a notch instead of just dicking around in my neighborhood!

1 Like

You probably should have done that from the start… or did you forget the post you made?

1 Like

gear drive with swappable pulleys for adjustable ratios.

That’s the fucking future. Until then i’m staying with belts.

I have a feeling its going to be another 5 years before materials science allows hubs to perform as well as geared or belts systems do today in high performance boards and by then gears and belts would have improved as well. There, i said it. So far i’ve only said that over the phone to a guy who makes wheels, but i’m getting a little cocky these days.

Do you have anything i can test?

2 Likes

Come to the bay area and you drink while you work :smile:

This thread is so fucking off topic…

@moderators please split it / organise this

Anyway… Guys you need to ride the R2, you still don’t really get it… it’s truly incredible… Only then can you comment about performance…

Belts are dead…

1 Like

Wait till we start adapting 2 speed gearboxes… I would like to see this be an open source project. Might need to buld a 4th axis into my mill for some prototype helical gears.

I still like the idea of using a belt as my final power transfer. Really just a personal preference, feels like it decouples the power a little and might treat the gearbox more gently?.

3 Likes

Maybe you can split this thread again and regain some footing?

24 hours later…

This thread is so fucking off topic…

@moderators please split it / organise this

You could merge this topic back to the other thread? Then we could all speak freely…

1 Like

Seems about right. I’m double checking the numbers I had with hummie, cause those wheels look narrow compared to the ones were using. The motor wheels are a few mm wider too. So, still the widest hubs.

https://www.muirskate.com/photos/products/523/hd_product_Abec11-83mm-Centrax-Reflex-Lime-(Set-HD).png

So I don’t have a dog in this fight. Full disclosure- I do have a Raptor 2 pre ordered. I was able to ride both the Raptor 2 and a custom board with Carvon V3 motors on it. Now my test ride was just around the parking lot and sidewalks, but both felt really good. The R2 had much stronger acceleration. The Carvon v3 acceleration had a smoother feel to it but definitely slower ramp up. Wheels on both felt great for the 5 minutes that I spent on each. I’m coming from a boosted v1 dual+ with the regular orangutan wheels on it. Both will be fun boards to ride. I think consumers will be looking to see which board has better long term performance of the components. How do the motors last under stress. The clearance on the V3 carvons is quite low but the outside of the motor looks sturdy. The R2 is heavier and from my weight testing on site it is primarily because of those monster hub wheels. When you pushed the kick tail of the R2 to the ground, it actually felt lighter than pushing the kick of the Carvon V3…even though the R2 weighed more (think about 4lbs more).

I have my Carvon V2/2.5 drop-thru mounted and the hubs extend out onto the hanger in a similar way that the v3 does. I just had to carve out a small wheel well so the motor doesn’t bite. Not sure what or if there’s a difference in motor diameter, but from the looks of it, I don’t think it will be that much of an issue to drop mount a v3.

1 Like

I don’t know how that’s possible. I put a normal 7 ply board between the base plate and my carvon v2’s, and I can’t, it hits the motor can.

Gears AND belts? Now we’re REALLY pissing people off! I want in on this.

Also if you’re using two gears and one belt then i want three gears and two belts so i can be faster.

2 Likes

Only 2 gears… it’s 2017… C’mon guys SVT is the way to go.

2 Likes

That horse aint got no teeth!

I wonder what happens when you slam on the throttle. Does the belt slip at all?

54mph seems a bit… well… theoretical. lol

2 Likes

@onloop, so after confirming the dimessions with hummie, v3 will have 81mm wide rear wheels with 77mm centrax on the front. So yes, still the widest contact patch,

1 Like

You mean these right here? Lol

2 Likes

yep! that’s where a direct drive goes. Right under your nuts. lol

2 Likes

A cvt on a board. Hasn’t anyone tried that yet? Sounds like it could make braking weird.