How I made my lipo packs slimmer!

Fair enough! @lowGuido BTW: I’ve been following andI absolutely dig your flat pack build! So clean, so slim!! Big props! Pics speak for themselves!

4 Likes

I know that a lot of people hate soldering and try to avoid it… so yeah for them they probably would rather rivet…

personally I think you should solder, even if you hate it, you are building electric skateboards. soldering is a skill that you should definitely develop.

5 Likes

@lowGuido Do you find that aluminum solder paste is absolutely necessary to solder the battery tabs together? Or do they just need special prep to get the solder to stick?

2 Likes

I just used a standard flux core solder… (i mentioned the exact spec in my thread) however I did NOT use any special aluminum solder or paste

1 Like

Thanks. That’s good to know. I’m going to sand/prep the tabs a bit more and try again with regular flux core solder.

I’m pretty OCD, so I really like soldering. That moment when the solder just melts into the joint like butter! It’s a satisfying thing.

1 Like

as I mentioned earlier

I’m dealing with a Zippy Compact, not sure if it should matter, but I couldn’t get the new solder to stick to the tabs. I tried a few times with a really hot iron, and had no problem with the existing solder and wire melting, but even that wouldn’t stick to the other broken half of the tab.

I can’t comment on zippy, because I haven’t done one. the multistars were quite easy though.

one day i’ll get a camera and make a video…

You’ll need aluminum solder look up in this thread for my link

This is freaking amazing! I wish I had the level of experience to craft it without killing myself. I have yet to build my 1st eSK8. All the parts are being shipped however I am missing one critical component, a battery enclosure for my 2X 4S 10000mah Multistar. Every plastic box is either on the big or small side!

Anyway, congrats of the skill level ;). @barajabali

Thanks!

Check out my newest thread I am now building packs for a super affordable price! All types from thin lipo to lion

2 Likes

what you did there is quite interesting and i have to say that it will conceal the battery very well but have you considered the deck’s strength ?? it looks like it will break under load if you do not put something under it to take all the bending that will happen…do you have extra pics f the project ?

@susplus Its made from carbon fibre. Its pretty strong.

2 Likes

wondering, If you make the packs flat like this, can they be mounted to a board that has some actual flex in it?

Yes depending on how you solder the connections. Make sure you make the bridges with silicon wire. I’ve done this before

Thanks, opens up some nice possibilities :slight_smile:

That was my question aswell , how do you make the bridges from cell to cell.

So you use 10-12Awg wire? or like the metal plates that a lot of people use for their 18650 packs?

I use 10AWG cable the whole pack is pretty flexible.

Use silicon wire 10 or 12 gauge will work fine. Don’t use nickel strip if you want it to flex