Hi5ber - Let's collab to build the ULTIMATE carbon fiber DIY Electric Skateboard

I doubt that would satisfy high end buyers…

10 Likes

sounds oddly specific :thinking:

2 Likes

pm’ed you.

eMTB aside… all the decks I ride are downhill, 25-27 inches skateboard wheelbase ~34 inches long and up to 10’ wide. The trend is for bigger batteries so make as much space as you can for storage.

I’d follow the downhill model with the exception of making the deck a bit wider, eSk8s need to be safe and stable. This could accommodate more cells and also give you a bit more leverage over the trucks with the super wide trucks that are being used to fit in motors. If done right it could be a win/win. Nothing too crazy an extra 1/2 a inch to a inch and you will also make more battery space.

not sure if even possible but the surface that would be in contact with electronics be NOT carbon fiber as it’s conductive. i remember someone building a CF enclosure and shorting out their battery.

@Titoxd10001 build a CF enclosure but the final layer, on the inside, was fiberglass.

2 Likes

This thread was posted by another member but they were going to design some CF boards but couldn’t get enough people interested. I personally think the design is fantastic, take a look!

3 Likes

Subscribed…this is going to be nuts… @Hi5ber what price point are you aiming for?

2 Likes

Personally I specifically want the lid to be ON TOP, as I would never ride my board in the rain anyway it would make no difference, and I’m sure there is a way to make a top lid water tight, otherwise no one else would be manufacturing them like that, and it seems like a large portion of manufacturers are…

5 Likes

awesome that you join us.

So in the past, lot forgot the basic needs a deck has for the rider. To much focus on form and space for batteries. So for me I nee a solid rocker running trough the whole deck, for a stable ride yet comfy enough for long cruises. Wheel flares would be useful since most of us runs gigantic wheels 90mm +. W concave is loved by some hated by others. So that can be added via implants later on.

4 Likes

I think the range model be best, you could stack 2170’s if needed and have space for plenty of VESC especially for those of us who will be running a 4WD setup. I would prefer it if it was a slight drop down style, but other than that I think this style is perfect!

My 2 cents, first model should be max 2wd, support up to 50 cells allowing 10s5p or 12s4p. I think that would satisfy the majority.

24 Likes

Absolutely.

9 Likes

We need more ~40 inch decks!!

5 Likes

do we really tho :thinking:

also check your snap

1 Like

Yes we do lol Oh yea

1 Like

@ARetardedPillow i can make a polycarbonate 40" deck lol

my current deck is 35"

Electrically grounding carbon fiber properly to meet safety standards in EVs is difficult. Beware as carbon is a resistive element.

My 2¢ before I return to the grave

Brush in liquid electrical tape or rubber mats, problem solved.

I have an aluminum deck I’ve messed with for months and never got it to ride right (no concave). When printing the enclosure I was also getting a Jeep CJ7 tun think lined. I got them to spray the enclosure as well. And expensive solution normally but in this instance it was free.

1 Like

@Hi5ber Awesome to have you here on the forum! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

3 Likes

It’s not that hard to make a top lid water resistant. Just take a cue from go pro and their water proof design on their cameras. Lid HAS TO BE on top. Makes for easier battery swapping and makes the bottom impervious to water

2 Likes