Help with my Genesis/Koowheel conversion build! <3

So here we gooooo! I want to get started on my upgrade/kinda custom build…

I got a V.3 Genesis hellfire as my starter board, and honestly i love it. Its smooth. the dual hub motors and slim underside keep it quiet and sleek. I can just push ride it too since there is little resistance on the wheels.

The range is decent in NYC (Mostly flats with decent roads and very few hills) I’ve gotten about 16 miles out of the battery with one bar still remaining but blinking so my guess it was almost done.

Either way i love the board. it works great for what i need but its a little slow for my liking now that I’ve gotten used to it. I’ve speed tested it on flat with about half charge on the battery and i can get it up to 17-18 on a smooth flat road. My ideal speed would be about 23mph, and I would be very happy with being able to hit that on a decent straight.

That being said things i love about the Hellfire:

1. The quiet hub motors, the smoothness and the torque.
  2. The fact that the battery (while obviously not the advertised real world range) is actually pretty good. AND swappable on the fly in under a minute really easily.
  3. unlike belt driven motors its much easier to push ride like a normal longboard.
  4. I actually like the v.3 remote. Its basically a clone of the boosted remote.

Things I dont like about the Hellfire:

1. while not as heavy as other boards its still heavy enough to not be super comfortable to carry up and down stairs in the subway.
  2. some components seem to be a little on the less then resilient in the long run
  3. The deck itself is on the heavy side and isn’t as moddable as i would like. prefer drop through decks.
  4. The fact that the rear wheel urethanes seem to be really hard to get a hold of to change without getting a whole replacement motor.

So here is my plan:

First start with a new deck. I’ve already picked a Hi Fiber carbon fiber longboard drop through that weighs about 2.6 lbs. Thats going to be my building platform. This will allow me to really tune how high or low i want the board to be.

Knowing that i want to keep a Hub Motor setup and the battery system specifically from the Hellfire here is where I need some help.

Q1 With my current platform of the 250watt hub motors and the control boards of the gen 3 hellfire is there any way for me to modify either of them with a minimal amount of effort to get them to push out more power to get to my goal of 23 MPH?

Q2 One of the other things i wanted to change for both aesthetics and for some more weight reduction are the trucks. Can someone point me to some links of usable trucks that are better then the stock Genesis ones?

This will get me started with much of what i need. My end goal is to have a board that can be setup that can be adjusted to my liking based on location and road conditions, one that has a battery that can be be swapped for another on the go, one thats light enough to be easy to carry when you cant ride it, and a board that has a decent range and top speed that can rival the top boards a significant discount compared to boards like Boosted and Evolve.

Oh and it will look good too :slight_smile:

Thanks all and i cant wait to start this project and share with you the journey of building a spectacular board!

1 Like

Battery upgrade is your only real bet at getting more speed. Upgrading to 12s should increase the speed to around 20ish on half charged batteries (I just used your current speed which is 17mph with a 10s battery. Divide 17 by 10 gives 1.7 which is the speed per cell. Times that by 12 because that is the new amount of cells and you should get about 20).

If you know the specs of your motors you can work out the actual top speed by putting the numbers into this calculator

http://calc.esk8.it

Hmm im all pretty new to all of this, But i know that since i have brushless hub motors its just a 1:1 gear ratio.

But all i know about my motors apart from that is that they are 250-260W hub motors . And the bat pack has 20 18650 samsung cells.