GT2b Mad Munkey v1 Enclosure **NOW READY FOR DOWNLOAD**

You are evil Jeff. I just got that tap plastics jingle out of my head about a year ago.

2 Likes

That video was helpful in visualizing the half. I would need to make two different molds. What two part mix is lego plastic hard that I can pour? That Smooth-Cast ONYX® SLOW the stuff to get?

This method should work for small batch.

3 Likes

Yes, looking at the material properties that should work well for a housing.

Looks like smooth-on recently updated their site. There is a ton of how-to videos now!

1 Like

@jeff and @chaka, my bank account is about to hate me… I found the trial sizes of the Smooth-On products on Amazon Prime.

1 Like

good luck, can’t wait to see how they turn out!

Does any sculpting clay work for the mold making?

The only thing to check for is whether or not the material in the clay is a cure inhibitor. I know some clays act as cure inhibitors for certain types of silicones (I use platinum cure silicone, not sure about tin cure). If it does have cure inhibiting material, the silicone won’t cure at that interface. Not sure about urethane molds, just something to check.

Smooth-on also makes something called Inhibit-X. I put that on my SLA molds since they inhibit the cure on platinum cure silicone.

2 Likes

Punished Props makes a great series of molding and casting.

4 Likes

That is a CLEAN mold in that video! Thanks for the link.

1 Like

@FLATLINEcustoms echoing @chaka’s comment, I bet that the community here would happily support your creation of a mold. Let us know how we can help!

Thank you treenutter, right now I am working on two things.

First is buying some of the molding products from Smooth-On thanks to the help of everyone. Going to try my hand at mold making. What I want is to get a quality product for the Esk8 community.

Second, I am not proficient in Solidworks, so I am trying to learn how to use the Cavity Feature to see what I can do with aluminum on my friends X-carve. Apparently it will take my Solidworks file and make it ready for CNC cutting. If anyone works in Solidworks that can help please let me know. Hopefully he can help me get more than one aluminum mold done, so I can pour more at one time.

3 Likes

I can help. I’m pretty proficient in Solidworks. Another option is the Indent feature. But over all milling a two part mold in aluminum seems a bit over kill. A two part silicone mold should be great enough.

2 Likes

Can you shoot me the thingiverse link once you have it up? Thanks

I can help as well. I work in Solidworks pretty much everyday of my life…

1 Like

i think i just found the weak point of the GT2b… Mad Munkey did not break.

what happened? Is the enclosure allowing for too much range of motion of the trigger?

I wrecked, range of motion is same as stock controller.

IMO. I would like to see a redesign of that trigger assembly. My GT2b has a trigger that feels like the cheapest plastic. Would be cool to see some trigger upgrades! :v: I got some aluminum on the way. I’ll try to cut one and see what can be done.

2 Likes

Damn, probably not the way you wanted to do durability testing…hope you made it out relatively ok!